The Emirates FA Cup 2023/24

Lineker

1 minute ago, Nelson said:

I know. I meant that there's still a pretty big positive if a lower league club draws another lower league club.

Well aye, but only for the winning side. Whereas Doncaster can draw Man United at home and make a killing on the gate and TV revenue even if they lose 8-0. There's no TV revenue or boosted attendance for Newport v Eastleigh, and one of those sides isn't walking away with the 3rd Round prize money either. So it's just two extra games for very little benefit or intrigue.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, METALMAN said:

Are Emirates paying us to advertise them in the thread title?

So are Vanarama and Carabao.

Kliq is raking in the💰

• Sad 1

I feel like the voting for the goal of the round might be the most redundant poll in media engagement history.

3 hours ago, Adam said:

Well aye, but only for the winning side. Whereas Doncaster can draw Man United at home and make a killing on the gate and TV revenue even if they lose 8-0. There's no TV revenue or boosted attendance for Newport v Eastleigh, and one of those sides isn't walking away with the 3rd Round prize money either. So it's just two extra games for very little benefit or intrigue.

In this case there will be a boost to attendance because they know what awaits the winner after the replay but I do understand what you mean if they drew a similar team in the next round.

Lineker suggested what they do in the FA Trophy where teams decide whether they want to go to a replay or extra time/penalties before the game and I agree with that and built on it. I think originally a game like Newport vs Eastleigh, both teams may unanimously decide beforehand to scrap a potential replay and go straight to extra time and penalties if needed, however, say Eastleigh win and they have a chance of getting a replay at Old Trafford, there's no doubt they'd choose the replay option.

• Like 1

On 04/01/2024 at 22:00, Adam said:

So that's Calvert-Lewin suspended when he shouldn't have been sent off, McNeil injured and possibly out for the season, and the players have to play at least 90 more minutes of pointless football when we've got the Premier League to worry about.

Appeal was successful. VA ruddy shite more like.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, METALMAN said:

Linekles is not following the BBC style guide. Makes me wonder if he's really one of them.

image.png

Because here he follows Kliq's style guide.

2 hours ago, Colly said:

Appeal was successful. VA ruddy shite more like.

Good, it made no sense. And it's a blatant example of VAR interfering with the game to make it worse - the referee didn't even give a foul.

3 hours ago, Bobfoc said:

I still don't understand how you can use video footage and get decisions like that wrong.

I can. They're all incompetent and don't know what they're doing. Jobs for the lads, blindly sticking up for their mates and all that. 

I don't think the sticking up for their mates really applies, other than the on field almost always agreeing with the VAR after seeing the video. This was just pure incompetence.

I've mentioned it before though, the fact they basically see studs and go "red" without even considering the law at all drives me mad. DCL had basically come to a halt, there was no force whatsoever had there actually been contact so it doesn't remotely meet the criteria for a red card. Dale Johnson rightly compared it with Havertz against Newcastle which despite being "a trailing knee" was the reddest red you'll ever see but not given by ref or VAR.

As far as "tackles" go that is, before someone comes and says "but Bruno"...

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...