The Emirates FA Cup 2023/24

Lineker

I'm reminded of a story from, of all places, Graham Poll's book. He tells a story of a UEFA refereeing conference where Collini, recently made head of UEFA refereeing at the time, did a presentation where he showed a clip of two players in an aeriel challenge and one elbowed the other in the face. He asked the assembled refs what card should be shown to the offending player.

To a man, the 25-30 refs in the room all said a red card. Collina disagreed, saying that a yellow should be awarded as the player didn't clench his fist as he went up to challenge for the ball and so wasn't intending to do it, as if he intended it he'd have tried to put power into it, and to do that you need to clench your fist, in Collina's view.

Is Collina right there? Or were the other refs? Ask a dozen refs about an incident and you'll likely get differing (relatively) opinions on it, and I feel like expecting 'consistency' to the degree that fans demand is rather missing the point about these being subjective decisions.

Can we split all the VAR chat into a separate thread so those of who aren’t interested (me) don’t have to read through the same arguments over and over again. It’s made football podcasts (even more) unlistenable, don’t let it do the same to EWB!

On 29/02/2024 at 05:23, Baddar said:

If we're gonna talk about decisions last night, how about VARs "Is Casemiro the offender? No? OK, move on" bollocks.

Screenshot_20240229-085557_Chrome.jpg

I'm pretty sure this wasn't a red card because the center ref and VAR equally were both just so happy to see someone doing this to Bruno because they can't do it themselves like they wish they could do.

49 minutes ago, Szumi said:

I'm pretty sure this wasn't a red card because the center ref and VAR equally were both just so happy to see someone doing this to Bruno because they can't do it themselves like they wish they could do.

They instead gave him a thank you card.

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, Baddar said:

No

As EWB's Video Assistant Referee, I feel like this is a clear and obvious error, so you should review your initial decision.

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure whether it feels more inevitable for Man City to draw Coventry in the semis, or for Chelsea to squeak past Leicester, squeak past Coventry, and then lose to Liverpool again in the final.