The Emirates FA Cup 2023/24

Lineker

Chelsea already behind.

I suppose if they opt to lose in both cup competitions in the same week, I should appreciate that they got it over with quick.

I'll take that from Nico Jackson though!

18 minutes ago, Hobo said:

Sad that young up and coming Jay Spearing hasn't made the team tonight

#KloppOut

He's too busy to see if he can find a new level of tan past Benidorm Brown

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I just realised that tonight Lewis Koumas makes his debut while already having a league cup winners medal.

Which is one more winners medal than his dad has.

15 minutes ago, Hobo said:

I just realised that tonight Lewis Koumas makes his debut while already having a league cup winners medal.

Which is one more winners medal than his dad has.

And he's scored!

Lovely finish as well!

Southampton have played some really good football, especially transitioning from defence to attack. Played out the press really well and aren't doing what some teams do when facing opposition in a higher league and abandoning the style of play they're trying to do normally. Been quite unlucky hitting the post and having one ruled out gor offside

A week after making his professional debut Jayden Danns makes it 2-0.

And Liverpool just brought someone on who was born in 2007.

Looking forward to the next child Jugen Klopp manages to give a senior debut to before the end of this season

I've only seen still images but what was the difference between what happened for Casemiro's goal and Van Dijk's ruled out one in the cup or is it just classic inconsistencies 

10 hours ago, DavidMarrio said:

I've only seen still images but what was the difference between what happened for Casemiro's goal and Van Dijk's ruled out one in the cup or is it just classic inconsistencies 

The explanation I have seen, the difference is that the offside player didn't directly interfere as the blocked player wouldn't have gotten to the ball. Hilarious really as it's all just guess work, who knows if he would've gotten to the ball or in the same way if Colwill would have. Same official made both calls too. The inconsistency is laughable.

1 hour ago, The Radical Moongoose said:

The explanation I have seen, the difference is that the offside player didn't directly interfere as the blocked player wouldn't have gotten to the ball. Hilarious really as it's all just guess work, who knows if he would've gotten to the ball or in the same way if Colwill would have. Same official made both calls too. The inconsistency is laughable.

I don't think it's laughable at all, for Colwill the ball drops where he could realistically head it away, for Casemiro Varane isn't remotely involved. Offside is more complex than it needs to be (and I'm still baffled by how we got a penalty against Bournemouth weekend before last), but barring moving back to the 20th century law before interfering with play was added you're going to get these subjective ones. Both correct decisions for me.

1 minute ago, Colly said:

I don't think it's laughable at all, for Colwill the ball drops where he could realistically head it away, for Casemiro Varane isn't remotely involved. Offside is more complex than it needs to be (and I'm still baffled by how we got a penalty against Bournemouth weekend before last), but barring moving back to the 20th century law before interfering with play was added you're going to get these subjective ones. Both correct decisions for me.

Personally I disagree, Colwill very well may get to the position to stop the cross but he also may not. That is where my problem lies, could Varanes block have stopped the shot from being interfered with? I don't think either should have been disallowed. Both for me are perfectly good goals.

There's 3 Forest players closer to Casemiro than the one who was blocked. Realistically the answer is "stop standing offside when your team has a set piece", but there's definitely a difference between the two.

6 minutes ago, Colly said:

There's 3 Forest players closer to Casemiro than the one who was blocked. Realistically the answer is "stop standing offside when your team has a set piece", but there's definitely a difference between the two.

There is a difference sure, but there is no guarantee that Colwill gets to the ball ahead of Van Dijk at all, as you said earlier it is subjective. In my opinion both should have counted and to have two similar instances with the same official just days apart will call the consistency into question.

And there is modern football discourse in a nutshell, expecting consistency on subjective decisions. It's why VAR as currently delivered can not work as a panacea for "wrong" decisions, because football isn't a perfect game and even the independent panels who can spend as much time as they like reviewing decisions will still not agree between them on something a referee (and potentially VAR) has seconds to decide on.

• Like 3