• Yeovil Town v Gateshead
  • Stevenage v Tranmere Rovers
  • Braintree Town or Chesham United v Maidstone United
  • Bromley v Blackpool
  • AFC Wimbledon v Cheltenham Town
  • Cambridge United v Bracknell Town
  • Northampton Town v Barrow
  • Ramsgate v Hemel Hempstead Town or Woking

Not sure I understand why they're outdated? Maybe for European teams with a more hectic fixture list, but how is a game between two League One teams now any different to the same two teams playing 40 years ago, bar marginal league size increases?

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Colly said:

Not sure I understand why they're outdated? Maybe for European teams with a more hectic fixture list, but how is a game between two League One teams now any different to the same two teams playing 40 years ago, bar marginal league size increases?

The only benefits I can see to them are when a smaller team gets a draw away to a big side. It's rare, yes it happens but those teams are just as likely to get the plum home draw, earn the same money and exposure and get thrashed 5-0. I just don't think replays are needed and I don't see them as some vaunted tradition that must be kept. Just my view.

And that's said from the perspective of a supporter whose team enter in Round 1 every year, and even earlier when I was a kid.

Speaking of hectic fixture lists, the League One and League Two clubs have 46 league matches and the Papa Johns Trophy to deal with, plus some League Cup matches if they go on a little run. It's telling that fixture pile-ups for Premier League teams are acted upon and those for clubs with smaller squads aren't.

Papa Johns can either go back to being a competition for the lower league sides or fuck all the way off. Most teams don't take it seriously but those extra fixtures are unneeded the way things are now.

Scrapping replays just to help out the big boys is bullshit, the teams at the lower levels are playing more games at the best of times (the year Leicester won the title they played just 43 games) so if you're thinking of doing this it should be all the way through. I don't hate replays, there is the extra fixture that adds to an intensive schedule which almost punishes a smaller team doing well but if Stevenage are drawn away to Manchester United and after 90 minutes are level I'd much rather that we got the chance to take them back to Broadhall Way a week later than go through a shootout on the day. Either just scrap them entirely or get on with it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Rovers have beaten Accrington in extra time to go through to Round 2.

They will play Peterborough, who have just knocked Salford out on penalties. That means Grant McCann will face his former club, and the man who replaced him in the job - oh and a former Doncaster manager as well - in Darren Ferguson. Nice away day for our fans too, straight down the East Coast main line.

McCann's already knocked his other former club Hull out in the Carabao Cup this season too. Hopefully he can do the same here.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

We've just missed out on playing Leeds at home, after losing to Peterborough yesterday.

That's a shame, not least because I'm in Doncaster that weekend with my Leeds-supporting girlfriend.

Tyne/Wear derby is a cracker to come out the hat, they've not played a competitive game against each other in nearly 8 years.