(Spoilers) The thread where CALIFORNIA LOOOOVE~!

Plubby

talk in this town is that the Canucks are looking to move up.

You think they'd be willing to pay the price though?

Would probably take at least Van's 1st rounder and Ryan Kesler just to get #1...and they may have to take back Jovanovski's contract if Tallon thinks he can upgrade on D this summer.

Florida and Calgary are both taking offers on their first picks. The Panthers seem to want to win now, so anyone who wants that pick will have to be in rebuilding mode. The Flames are open to moving the fourth pick, but it won't be for what fans of other teams deem to be fair value. If someone really wants to pick at number four, it's going to cost big time, because we have an immediate need to be better, as well as a management staff that is aware that we can't mortgage the future.

The price for the number one pick is probably going to be a lot easier to swallow for teams than the price for the fourth overall pick... because, as I said, for Florida, it's all about winning now with Luongo. They have prospects, and they're gunning for top players to make them a competitor now. If a team has a contract they don't like and aren't going to be contending this year anyways, it makes it a whole lot easier to pull the trigger on that deal.

I don't see Calgary moving the fourth pick for that reason, but I wouldn't be surprised if it isn't Florida kicking off the Entry Draft.

When was the last time that the first overall was traded though? Will be interesting. And as much as I would love the Leafs to draft 1st overall...I doubt they'll want to pay the price since they are trying to get back into the playoffs.

Although, you know what? I sorta-kinda want the Leafs to tank next season to get McDavid.

Coincidentally, it was 2003 when Florida traded first overall to Pittsburgh.

The Penguins ended up with Fleury and Dan Carcillo, while Florida got Nathan Horton, Stefan Meyer and Mikael Samuelsson. It was 1st and 73rd from Florida to Pittsburgh for 3rd, 55th and Samuelsson.

I could see that potentially happening again....

1st and a 3rd round pick from Florida to Edmonton for 3rd overall, a 3rd round pick and one of the young forwards from the Oilers. Makes sure that the Oilers get the player they want, Florida doesn't care which of the top four players they pull because there isn't a huge difference in potential, and the Panthers more importantly add an offensive threat to their lineup right away.

The Leafs would probably have to trade the 8th overall pick and either Kadri/Gardiner to get it done, but they could probably throw in Phaneuf instead, get a prospect back and draft Ekblad 1st overall. That wouldn't be overly bad for them, unless they can't replace Phaneuf with a UFA or through trade.

If I'm Nonis though, I'm kicking tires on defensemen to see if I can get someone without giving up any pieces that are part of the plan, ahead of the draft, freeing up any loose ends with Phaneuf (so long as he'd be willing to go to sunny Florida).

Yeah, Kadri/Gardnier are two players I wouldn't want to part with. Phaneuf? I'd be ok with letting go, assuming we had something lined up for a defender this summer (which is unlikely).

And Kesler and the 6th pick? That seems a bit steep. But the Canucks really should tear it down.

I imagine that a trade with Florida and Vancouver includes more pieces, but the conversation doesn't go anywhere if it doesn't start with Kesler and the 6th pick. Florida would probably move a prospect or two, as well as other picks to the Canucks... while Vancouver probably adds in other picks or contracts they don't want to keep moving forward.

Personally, I'm hoping that Calgary offers up #4 and Cammalleri's rights (if he doesn't re-sign) to get the number one pick (and use it on Reinhart) and a prospect or two out of Florida. Again, that gives Florida an immediate impact player, and only really takes away their choice of first round pick. Whoever falls to fourth overall could very easily be on a number of team's lists at #1.

Wrench in your plans is Kesler's ntc. He won't waive for Florida.

Florida asked for tanev, horvat, and a pick six, which is way too rich.

• Like 1

Wrench in your plans is Kesler's ntc. He won't waive for Florida.

Florida asked for tanev, horvat, and a pick six, which is way too rich.

If Florida's not getting an impact guy right now, they'll be asking for the moon. I thought Kesler might waive to go to Florida to be with Luongo, as they are close friends, but I guess not.

So Vancouver's out of 1st overall sweepstakes unless they overpay. If they don't mind trading in-division, Edmonton and Calgary are both viable options at 3 and 4. To move up like that would probably cost the Canucks a top prospect and the 6th, or if the player that either team wants will be available at 6, probably just a pick swap and decent prospect to fill organizational holes. The draft does seem to drop off after 4 though, so getting a team to drop out of those top 4 spots is going to be pricey.

I imagine that a trade with Florida and Vancouver includes more pieces, but the conversation doesn't go anywhere if it doesn't start with Kesler and the 6th pick. Florida would probably move a prospect or two, as well as other picks to the Canucks... while Vancouver probably adds in other picks or contracts they don't want to keep moving forward.

Personally, I'm hoping that Calgary offers up #4 and Cammalleri's rights (if he doesn't re-sign) to get the number one pick (and use it on Reinhart) and a prospect or two out of Florida. Again, that gives Florida an immediate impact player, and only really takes away their choice of first round pick. Whoever falls to fourth overall could very easily be on a number of team's lists at #1.

You are such a Flames homer :P

Kesler has a lot more value than Cammalleri (and signing rights are worthless. They go for 5th round picks), and yet Florida would be sending prospects back? How about the Leafs sent the 8th and Bolland to the Flames for the 4th...but you have to send some prospects back? ;)

From Calgary, I imagine Florida would ask for the 4th + Giordano or Baertschi.

Again though Ruki, I was stating that would be the starting point of a deal. It wouldn't just be a pick for pick swap, with Cammi netting prospects. Tallon would probably have to talk to him first and make sure he could sign him... then there would be multiple other pieces as well. It's all just starting points.

Any talk that involves Gio will be immediately dismissed. This is his team, and the management has outright said that he's not in play, not even a little bit.

Making the backbone of trade discussions signing rights to a soft playmaker in decline who is closer to forty than twenty and a ufa may be a mistake, but good luck.

• Like 4

Jason Spezza has requested a move out of Ottawa. Wow. Didn't think I'd see the day. If he wasn't a 7 mil, injury prone player, I'd want him on the Leafs.

I say he goes to the Ducks or to the Blues. outside chance the Hawks.

• Like 1

Jason Spezza has requested a move out of Ottawa. Wow. Didn't think I'd see the day. If he wasn't a 7 mil, injury prone player, I'd want him on the Leafs.

I think the Ducks kicked the tires on Spezza around the trade deadline this season, so that makes sense.

I heard that the signing rights for Mike Cammelerri might be in play...
  • Like 4

It is important to acquire those rights too, after all:

with the way the team played together, the positivity of the coaches, and the fact that in season one of the rebuild, they shocked the hockey world...

which means

I'd say that a Flames squad that enters next season the way it ended this season has to be projected to be in the playoff hunt.

and as a result...

Calgary is going to look like a pretty okay landing spot for free agents.

Ergo, if you don't trade for him now, he's a lock to re-sign in Calgary.

Now, the worst news in the world: Komarov might not be a Leaf this summer....his salary demands might be too much.

Hopefully Ashton can fill the super pest role, at least until Brad Ross figures out how to be a professional hockey player.

Lundqvist is keeping NY in this game, because LA has been outplaying NY since the second period here. I wouldn't be surprised if LA ends up tying it up.

It was a thriller late to say the least, another great game in this series. Two ridiculously close goals saved just at the edge of the NYR's goal line. Made the difference tonight. Great defensive play though for the Rangers, just an awesome hockey game to watch overall.

Lundqvist is keeping NY in this game, because LA has been outplaying NY since the second period here. I wouldn't be surprised if LA ends up tying it up.

It was a thriller late to say the least, another great game in this series. Two ridiculously close goals saved just at the edge of the NYR's goal line. Made the difference tonight. Great defensive play though for the Rangers, just an awesome hockey game to watch overall.

Definitely was a great one, I thought for sure LA was going to tie it, but I am glad to see it going to a fifth game. I'm expecting LA to win it on Friday, though.

• Like 1

Definitely was a great one, I thought for sure LA was going to tie it, but I am glad to see it going to a fifth game. I'm expecting LA to win it on Friday, though.

Yeah I'd be surprised, and actually worried for a second about the King's chances if they don't win on Friday.