The PS4 thread

9 to 5

Do I pick up Dying Light or do I pick up any two of Metro, Rayman and Saints Row?

Just to counter what everyone else said, we picked up Dying Light yesterday and, while I've only watched her play it, it looks like great fun.

It looks like it's the game Dead Island should have been.

• Like 2

It IS the game dead island should have been. It's by no means a perfectly polished game but the amount of shit to do is amazing and the free running works remarkably well.

I want Dying Light but I'm not into paying £40 for it...

Eh I tend to buy on the principle of £1 for each hour of gameplay and it sounds like it'll meet that easily. Plus two of us are playing it so double it.

It's the reason I'd never grab anything like The Order or Alien: Isolation at full price. Too much buyers remorse. I think the only exceptions were Last of Us and Uncharted, which are arguably still worth a £50 layout.

It's more that I'm not so interested in it for that price. I'm aware there's a lot of hours to it, which is great, but the core game isn't interesting enough to me for £40. I'm sure that'll change the second I get a chance to buy it, but I wish I could find it cheaper.

So, my first few hours on the game...

It's definitely fun, with what appears to be a better story than your average in this type of game. Darting from rooftop to rooftop is seamless, and easy to pick up once you get going. But, climbing in general can be a pain at times. I know you can improve the speed in which you get up on top of things, but I don't mean that - it's the fact that the game is so picky when it comes to climbing something. If you're next to a ledge, you can't just hit R1 (the jump button) to get on top of it, you need to make sure the aiming marker is hovering over it to climb up. This can be frustrating at times, as it can make the guy who looks like he's fully trained in parkour one minute, to a complete tool the next.

Weapons don't last too long either, and that's a pain. I have some cool extras due to getting it from GAME (the Lacerator is the only one I've got the parts to create at the moment) but it still seems like it runs out too quickly. Again, I know you can improve this, but it doesn't stop it being annoying early on. I've effectively bought these weapons and can't use them unless I find all the parts to make it. Think Last of Us here, where certain items craft different things. Once a weapon is broken, you can either drop it, or use it again if you find the required parts, and some are more taxing than others.

There are towers to scale to reach antennas, and I've just done my 2nd one. They're frustrating, and quite glitchy at times. For this, think Far Cry and their Radio Towers. Because climbing at close quarters is so clunky, these can be tough, because after getting most of the way up, if the game doesn't quite register your jump, you're falling to your death.

I'm only just getting started, and there's a boatload of skills to improve. Being chased at night is quite terrifying too.

In the daytime, the zombies seem more of a hindrance to your ultimate goal more than anything. They're just there. Don't get me wrong, if you're caught up amongst them, you'll die, but early on at least, the missions you do don't have anything to do with them whatsoever, and with your weapons deteriorating after just a few hits, you'll often find yourself running from point A to B without even engaging in combat. It just doesn't feel worth it, at least not yet.

You'll quickly move up with the weapons. If you scavenge a lot you'll earn cash and typically it's best to buy weapons from the shops as they have the max upgrade slots. You can use mods to lengthen durability or damage done etc.

Go for air drops ASAP, if you're quick you'll get both no hassle, take too long and there will be enemies or gone completely. The quickest way to max out skills by far cos I'm only 70% done and my survivor stat is maxed. Stay up during the night and you get a decent amount of points too. It's not too difficult to stay unnoticed as long as you're quick, and the flares you get from drops are a god send.

The climbing can be a pain in the ass sometimes but when you get used to it it works really well.

As if Ollie wasn't already having enough fun with OlliOlli as it is, OlliOlli2 is now available for free!

PS+ games for this month:

PS4 get Oddworld: New N Tasty and Valiant Hearts: The Great War

PS3 get Papa & Yo and Sherlock Holmes: Crimes and Punishment

PS4 & PSVita get the aforementioned OlliOlli2: Welcome to Olliwood as a crossbuy

CounterSpy is a crossbuy across all three platforms

As if Ollie wasn't already having enough fun with OlliOlli as it is, OlliOlli2 is now available for free!

PS+ games for this month:

PS4 get Oddworld: New N Tasty and Valiant Hearts: The Great War

PS3 get Papa & Yo and Sherlock Holmes: Crimes and Punishment

PS4 & PSVita get the aforementioned OlliOlli2: Welcome to Olliwood as a crossbuy

CounterSpy is a crossbuy across all three platforms

http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2015/03/03/playstation-plus-march-oddworld-dishonored-olliolli-2/?emcid=social_20150303_41443476&adbid=572841800475529216&adbpl=tw&adbpr=36969785

The link above suggests that Dishonored was originally meant to be part of this month's update, and I assume the deal fell through, accounting for the delay in announcing the games. It's a shame they didn't manage to pull the deal off, but the lineup is still good.