The Summer Transfer Window Thread 2014/15

Lineker

They'll be fine without Costa, it's a rule in football that they have to have at least one world class striker.

I like how DeAndre Yedlin has one good game and the media are going to be linking him with every club possible.

Well, one good game and two good late sub appearances. SO THAT'S A THING DAMMIT.

And speaking of Yedlin, the reports now are that he's signing with Roma, being loaned back to Seattle through the end of the 2014 MLS season, then being loaned out to another Italian club in January, so he'd start with Roma themselves in July '15. I've never heard of the guy saying this before but other people seem to think he's fairly legitimate.

I'd have no problem with players going to Chelsea if they were coming from a similar situation to Yedlin where the infrastructure is so bad that they NEED to go to a big club otherwise they will be completely wasted, it's just that directly above the "potential wonderkid/potential dud" 16 year olds there's players moving to Chelsea aged 18 from pretty big clubs but in weaker leagues who will be loaned out for the rest of their Chelsea career.

I mean look at César Azpilicueta, the only reason why he ended up playing and getting into the first team was because Ashley Cole got injured, and had Cole stayed as fit as a fiddle then he wouldn't have had a look in and everyone would be talking about who Chelsea will sign as Cole's replacement. It's probably the best way of conducting transfers for a club, but over time it's going to result in players actively avoiding Chelsea, fearing that they'd be wasted like De Bruyne or Lukaku.

I mean look at César Azpilicueta, the only reason why he ended up playing and getting into the first team was because Ashley Cole got injured, and had Cole stayed as fit as a fiddle then he wouldn't have had a look in and everyone would be talking about who Chelsea will sign as Cole's replacement. It's probably the best way of conducting transfers for a club, but over time it's going to result in players actively avoiding Chelsea, fearing that they'd be wasted like De Bruyne or Lukaku.

That's completely not true.

Chelsea paid £7m for him and he played 27 PL games as a RB in his first season.

• Like 2

I mean look at César Azpilicueta, the only reason why he ended up playing and getting into the first team was because Ashley Cole got injured, and had Cole stayed as fit as a fiddle then he wouldn't have had a look in

Provided you ignore that Azpi was bought in 2012 and recorded 27 appearances in that season without ever once playing at left-back and therefore had nothing to do with Ash until this season. You cannot use Azpi as an example of this kind of transfer.

Edit: As above.

• Like 2

Sousa will be happy to know that Aston Villa are delving into their warchest and eyeing a swoop for absolutely nobody.

Liverpool are apparently close to a £35 million double deal that will see Divock Origi sign from Lille and Lazar Markovic come in from Benfica. Now, I'm aware that these two are highly rated young players but is that not a lot of money? I know very little about Markovic, but £25 million for a 20 year old with just one season at the top level under his belt seems a bit much. I suppose it helps that they have the Suarez money coming in mind.

Liverpool are apparently close to a £35 million double deal that will see Divock Origi sign from Lille and Lazar Markovic come in from Benfica. Now, I'm aware that these two are highly rated young players but is that not a lot of money? I know very little about Markovic, but £25 million for a 20 year old with just one season at the top level under his belt seems a bit much. I suppose it helps that they have the Suarez money coming in mind.

I have to say I would be most delighted if Liverpool should go ahead and thoroughly 'Spurs up' their Suarez windfall.

I don't really see much wrong with Chelseas youth system, at least they actually get game time. Buying players, letting them improve under less pressure than at Chelsea and then selling them on if they still don't make the cut. It's hardly the biggest problem in football.

• Like 2