The Summer Transfer Window Thread 2014/15

Lineker

No chance. If it's not at least £80m, I'll eat Sousa's hat.

I can't see it being 80. Had a better season than Bale, but the bite will take off some value, plus he's not exactly a marketable star like Bale. I Think it'll be 65-70.

I can't see it being 80. Had a better season than Bale, but the bite will take off some value, plus he's not exactly a marketable star like Bale. I Think it'll be 65-70.

He is in Spain and South America.

• Like 1

He is in Spain and South America.

And Skagos.

• Like 1

Not sure how marketable monkey face Bale is.

Considering he's in loads of adverts, and is the current poster boy for BT's new European games, I'd say he's very marketable :/

Suarez is in loads of adverts. What's your point?

I've seen 80m and 63m reported (and now also 75m). When figures as disparate as those two (and one as curiously precise as 63) are quoted, I always just check what the euro/pound exchange rate is.

As it so happens, 80m euros equates to £63.38m.

I can hardly believe this to be coincidental, and suspect that any sources quoting £80m were doing the classic "Currencies? Pfft!" thing that papers do and the real price is actually 80m euros.

• Like 1

I've seen 80m and 63m reported (and now also 75m). When figures as disparate as those two (and one as curiously precise as 63) are quoted, I always just check what the euro/pound exchange rate is.

I can hardly believe this to be coincidental, and suspect that any sources quoting £80m were doing the classic "Currencies? Pfft!" thing that papers do and the real price is actually 80m euros.

On Colly's favorite podcast Tony Barrett said more or less that he had been old £80 million but others are saying its 80 million - so nothing is clear to anyone outside of Liverpool and Barca.

From what I've gathered, Liverpool have been briefing that his release clause is £80m. Catalan press have gotten confused and reported 80m euros, which the British media (without Liverpool sources) have latched onto it and done the conversions themselves, even though there was nothing to convert.

You have to remember that the release clause was inserted into the contract at Christmas, when we were top of the league and he was cruising his way to breaking every record ever made. The previous release clause was £40m, and I seriously doubt we would agree a figure so random as £63.38m.

"Sorry Luis, we're not letting you go. That extra £380,000 is vital for us to reinvest."

Edited by Nerf