Formula One 2015

Lineker

• Admin
Michelin has made it clear it is ready to make a return to Formula 1 when the championship's existing tyre contract comes to an end. The French tyre manufacturer was last involved in 2006, opting to depart at the end of that year after a five-season spell as it was unhappy about a move to a single supplier from 2008.
No more tyre wars, please.
---
Honda motorsport chief Yasuhisa Arai concedes he is a man under pressure as he attempts to recapture the engine manufacturer's previous glory days in Formula 1 with McLaren. In a bold statement, though, Arai has not only predicted a podium finish will come before the British Grand Prix in early July, but the likelihood McLaren-Honda will be firmly challenging Mercedes by the end of the year, then dominating in the near future.
Yeah, okay.
---
Formula 1 drivers will take the unusual step of surveying fans as Bernie Ecclestone and other key figures explore ways of spicing up the sport. Drivers have decided to take matters into their own hands by asking fans what they would do - they intend to use social media to canvass views on a wide range of issues - technical, commercial, audience behaviours, etc - even asking fans whether F1 should be viewed as sport or entertainment. The Grand Prix Drivers' Association, chaired by former F1 driver Alexander Wurz, discussed the idea at the Spanish Grand Prix and plan to launch the survey over the Monaco race weekend, from 20 to 24 May
All for that.
--
Formula 1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone is prepared to join forces with FIA president Jean Todt in a bid to push through change at this week's meeting of F1's Strategy Group.
Ecclestone and Todt are ready to take the teams to task in Thursday's meeting at Biggin Hill, which has been described by Force India deputy team principal Bob Fernley as a "watershed" event.
The meeting is so crucial to the future of F1 even Donald Mackenzie, the co-chairman of F1's primary shareholders CVC Capital Partners, is to make a rare appearance as an observer.
With six votes apiece for FIA and FOM, and one apiece for each of the six teams involved - Ferrari, Mercedes, McLaren, Red Bull, Williams and Force India - Todt and Ecclestone have an opportunity to out-vote the teams.
Ecclestone will meet Todt for dinner on Wednesday to run through matters, and the 84-year-old told AUTOSPORT: "If Jean was happy to fall into line, then yeah, there would be no problem at all. We don't have to talk to anyone.
"He's happy to do that, and we have done that, but what he won't do is really stand up and say 'this is how it is'.
"With me, if I was a doctor and I knew I had to cut off somebody's arm to save their life then there wouldn't be a discussion.
"The problem is we have with this democracy in our sport, and in our case it's even worse because you have people in competition with one another.
"Obviously you are not going to do anything to help somebody to beat you, so it's very difficult.
"But I'll speak with Jean and we'll see what happens."
A FIA/FOM alliance would at least push through any proposals to the next F1 Commission meeting, generating time to overcome obstacles bearing in mind 100 per cent agreement is required to finalise an issue.
As AUTOSPORT revealed at the weekend plans to use five engines per driver this season, rather than the current four, is to be voted against.
However, on the table is a ban on windtunnels, which could save some teams in the region of $15-20m per year in running costs.
Should that fail there will also be a proposal from the smaller teams for a revised payment structure for engines to the manufacturers, and potentially another call for a more equitable share of the sport's revenues.
Other matters include a switch to 1000bhp engines, as well the running of 425mm rear tyres from the current width of 375mm.
Speaking to AUTOSPORT, Red Bull team principal Christian Horner said: "Things need to come to a head.
"Changing the wheel nuts and standardising gear ratios is not going to help the little teams, have an impact on costs for the bigger teams, or improve the show.
"You have to look at something much more fundamental than that.
"It needs to be taken out of the teams' hands because I don't think the teams will ever agree.
"There is too much vested interest, too much competitive advantage or disadvantage people are trying to protect or expose.
"If the FIA [Todt] and FOM [Ecclestone] are fully aligned it doesn't matter what the teams say.
"They just need to agree between themselves on what they want."
Emphasising the importance of the meeting, Fernley told AUTOSPORT: "It's going to set the tone for the future and have a massive impact on the independent teams.
"It's going to be a watershed meeting, it's of that importance.
"If nothing happens at all, which has been the historic precedence, then as a team we will have to look at how we do things in Formula 1.
"I'm not saying our future is on the line, it's how we participate in it and be able to pay for a competitive package."

I was dead against them getting rid of refuelling, I think it ruined one of my favourite parts of the race in terms of the strategy - I enjoyed that teams determined different numbers of pit stops based on how much fuel they were planning to use, and how much it affected how fast the cars were between stops. It was a thousand times better than "they all pit for 3 seconds to change tyres" which only even happens because they intentionally made the tyres shit to keep pit stops a focal point of races.

Taking steps back actually is a step forward now for this ailing, tedious sport. I cannot believe that stat that the cars are, on some circuits, up to ten seconds slower than they were in 2004. That's astounding for something calling itself the "pinnacle of motorsport".

• Like 2

• Admin
Lewis Hamilton and the Mercedes Formula 1 team have agreed a new deal to continue their partnership, which will be announced in Monaco later on Wednesday.
The reigning world champion's protracted contract negotiations have been a major talking point during the 2015 season.
Hamilton's team-mate Nico Rosberg announced an extended deal last summer, but talks with Hamilton were paused during the 2014 title fight and then dragged on through the opening grands prix of this year.
AUTOSPORT understands that Hamilton and Mercedes have now agreed terms and are poised to finalise and announce the agreement.
Hamilton joined Mercedes for the 2013 season after spending his F1 career up to that point with the McLaren team that had nurtured him through junior racing.
The 30-year-old Briton has taken 15 grand prix wins since coming to Mercedes and added last year's drivers' crown to his 2008 title with McLaren.
He heads into this weekend's Monte Carlo race with a 20-point lead over Rosberg in the standings.

• Admin
Lewis Hamilton's protracted contract saga has finally come to end with the reigning Formula 1 world champion announcing a new three-year deal with Mercedes.
The 30-year-old will now remain at Mercedes until at least the end of 2018, ending months of speculation over his future and whether he would remain with the team beyond the end of this year.
AUTOSPORT revealed on Wednesday morning that Mercedes and Hamilton were poised to reveal their new contract later in the day in Monaco.
Hamilton said: "Mercedes is my home and I couldn't be happier to be staying here for another three years.
"This is a company filled with real passionate racers, from the board room to the factory floor, and an incredible hunger to win.
"Even after the success of last year, that hunger is greater than ever - and it's the same for me, too.
"The Mercedes car I am driving right now is the best I have ever had in my career; it's just so much fun to be out there every weekend, on the limit and fighting to win at every track.
"Mercedes-Benz began supporting me in 1998, so I am very proud this contract means I will mark 20 years with Mercedes in 2018."
After starting his career in a Mercedes-powered McLaren in 2007, spending six seasons with the team and winning the world title in '08, Hamilton moved on to the works Mercedes team in 2013.
Overall, Hamilton has won 36 grands prix, with 15 of those in a Silver Arrow, adding a second world championship last season with the Brackley-based marque.
Mercedes motorsport boss Toto Wolff made it a priority to re-sign Hamilton, who it is understood now becomes Britain's highest-paid sportsman with this latest contract.
Wolff said: "Continuity is one of the key factors for delivering success in Formula 1, and we now have that in place.
"Lewis enjoyed an historic world championship season with Mercedes-Benz last year, and it was a priority for this season to renew his contract for the next term.
"We have taken the right amount of time with the process and not rushed ourselves.
"The result is a strong agreement that will enhance Lewis' association with the Mercedes-Benz brand, and that recognises and respects the market value of Lewis and of Mercedes in Formula 1.
"Lewis' sporting track record speaks for itself and he is a great personality for the company.
"Personally, I am looking forward to continuing to race with the strongest driver pairing in Formula 1, and to more historic achievements together."

• Admin
Romain Grosjean has been given a five-place grid penalty for Sunday's Monaco Grand Prix after Lotus changed his gearbox following the Spanish race earlier this month. Grosjean finished eighth in Spain, but drove the final part of the race without fourth gear.

• Admin
Jules Bianchi's father says his son is continuing to fight for his life, but concedes they have started to think of the worst-case scenario.
Since his accident in last October's Japanese Grand Prix, Bianchi has spent almost the last eight months in a battle for survival.
After two months at a hospital in Yokkaichi close to the Suzuka circuit, the Manor driver was then transferred to a facility in his home city of Nice where he has since remained.
Although Bianchi is no longer in an artificial coma, the 25-year-old remains unconscious with the prognosis grim.
"The first thing is Jules is alive, that's the most important thing for us," said Bianchi's father Philippe, speaking to Canal+.
"He's fighting with the weapons he has, but in neurological terms I'm not sure he is able to do much now.
"Seeing him fighting gives a lot of hope to his loved ones, and it's important for us.
"While there is life, there is hope, even though after a while you are hoping for a miracle. Every day is difficult.
"The situation is stagnant. Jules' neurological progress is not what we would like it to be.
"When we get up every morning we think of Jules' life, we think also of his death.
"We have to think about death because we are in a situation where we know a lot of things can happen. It's terrible.
"I think we all stopped living that day, the fifth of October. It's something you can never expect.
"It's not what Jules wants, being in a hospital bed. It's not his life, it's not what we want either. But we have to keep hope."
It was a year ago at last year's Monaco Grand Prix that Bianchi secured a ninth-place finish for the team then known as Marussia.

They remain the marque's only points in its five-and-a-half-year history, with Manor this weekend commemorating the achievement with a specially-commissioned wristband.
Believing his son will be able to feel the energy generated from the race just 20 kilometres away, Bianchi Sr added: "It was Jules' dream to score points in Formula 1, and he did it with Marussia.
"I was there, and I was lucky enough when Jules finished the grand prix that I was the first person he took into his arms because I was on my own when he finished. Those are incredible moments.
"Jules is here, despite the shock [accident] he had. He's still here and he's fighting.
"All of these people thinking about him gives Jules strength. He can feel it and it's beautiful. We're very touched by it."

I feel bad saying anything after reading the Bianchi news... but...

Nico celebrating wildly after winning today is possibly the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen. If he thinks he deserved to win the race then he is beyond deluded.

Whether you like how it went down or not, Nico Rosberg won the race. Was he lucky today? Yes, and he readily admitted so on the podium. Should Hamilton have won the race today? Again, yes, but these things happen in Formula 1 sometimes, it is what it is. At the end of the day Rosberg was the winner & he clawed back 10 points on his teammate & rival, so why the hell shouldn't he celebrate? It's not like he caused the accident that brought out the Safety Car, nor was it he who made the call to bring in Hamilton for another pitstop.

Hamilton might be a massively talented racing driver, but he needs to handle losing much better. His behaviour on the podium today was that of a petulant child who'd just had his favourite toy taken away from him. He knows he isn't going to win every single time, he should be a professional on the occasions that it doesn't quite work out for him

• Like 1

I'm beyond annoyed at people blaming Rosberg for the Hamilton loss. It wasn't Rosberg's fault, he drove his race and he ended up being the winner because the Mercedes garage made a huge mistake in going for a pitstop that late. Rosberg won it fair and square, and he also admitted that he got lucky due to the mistake, the reason he celebrated was because he won and he deserves to celebrate a win regardless of how good/bad it might be. Hamilton has done the same in the past.

F1 isn't a sport for sentiment, people will lose in the most stupid way possible and people will luck to a win in the most stupid way possible. That happens in the sport and people need to realize that Rosberg didn't cheat and Hamilton got a massive unlucky break thanks to a stupid mistake from his crew. Blame the crew for the loss, don't blame Rosberg for winning.

Rosberg didn't cheat in any way, and he came across the stripe the first, that makes him the deserved winner any way you cut it. Did Hamilton deserve a win, yes he did, but again it's on his pit-crew and not on his teammate.

Secondly, I loved Verstappen's race all the way until the untimely crash (that made the race interesting). He was aggressive but smart, and he had a cheeky sly streak in overtaking Sainz during a blue flag situation that was kinda dickish but brilliant too. His crash was an unlucky effect of his eagerness to overtake the much slower Grosjean, who went on the brakes way too soon and left Verstappen no chance to avoid impact with Romain's back-tyre. Max deserved points, but it wasn't to be sadly enough. I think in a year or so when he's smarter and more experienced he will truly be a great driver because his mindset is perfect for the sport, he dares to push and he knows what he can or can't do, once he gets consistency through experience he'll be a phenomenal driver.

Verstappen is easily the most talented kid on the grid. Not as experienced as Sainz/Nasr/Ericsson, but he has much more talent than all of them.

Whether you like how it went down or not, Nico Rosberg won the race. Was he lucky today? Yes, and he readily admitted so on the podium. Should Hamilton have won the race today? Again, yes, but these things happen in Formula 1 sometimes, it is what it is. At the end of the day Rosberg was the winner & he clawed back 10 points on his teammate & rival, so why the hell shouldn't he celebrate? It's not like he caused the accident that brought out the Safety Car, nor was it he who made the call to bring in Hamilton for another pitstop.

Hamilton might be a massively talented racing driver, but he needs to handle losing much better. His behaviour on the podium today was that of a petulant child who'd just had his favourite toy taken away from him. He knows he isn't going to win every single time, he should be a professional on the occasions that it doesn't quite work out for him

Hamilton did the podium interviews, shook everyone's hand and vowed to come back for the next one. I fail to see what he's done wrong. His team has cost him a dominant victory but he hasn't publicly blamed them.

Lewis has had the reputation of being a spoilt brat. Sometimes rightly so, but today isn't one of them.

• Like 1