Formula One 2015

Lineker

A fun nascar tidbit, starting last year drivers got to pick their own numbers.

Ricciardo picked the #3 as he used to be a huge fan of Dale.

• Admin

Shame it didn't rain though, Spa rain is always the best.

Meac, did you watch NBC or British coverage? The next race of the season is the Italian GP at Monza. Another old classic circuit but it may be the last one held for a while as the organisers are yet to agree a new deal. It is usually spectacular and it's also the home race of Ferrari so the Tifosi are always out in full force.

I watched on NBC Sports. I have nothing to compare it to, but I didn't think it was bad coverage. At commercials, they split the screen like they do for NASCAR so that you can still watch the race during commercial breaks.

I'll definitely be back in two weeks for the next one. :)

• Admin

Renault is poised to return as a works team to Formula 1, with a deal to take a majority stake in Lotus due to be finalised next week, AUTOSPORT understands.

The agreement would end months of protracted negotiations and bring a factory Renault operation back onto the F1 grid for the first time since 2010.

AUTOSPORT sources have indicated the French car manufacturer would take a stake up to 65 per cent, worth a total of £65million, with an initial downpayment of £7.5million to be followed by equal instalments over the following 10 years.

Gerard Lopez, currently Lotus F1 team co-owner via his Genii organisation, looks set to remain as a shareholder with a potential stake of around 25 per cent, with four-time champion and Renault ambassador Alain Prost acquiring the remaining 10 per cent.

The arrangement with Lopez and Prost would be very similar to that at Mercedes where motorsport boss Toto Wolff and non-executive chairman Niki Lauda possess shareholdings in the F1 team.

Following a Renault presentation meeting currently scheduled for Monday, an array of documents is then due to be signed involving parties from both sides over the following days.

At this stage in proceedings Renault is understood to have negotiated a full sponsorship package, with the board - spearheaded by CEO Carlos Ghosn - signing off on a budget that would put it on a par with the likes of Mercedes and Red Bull.

One of the few areas to be determined surrounds the driver line-up for while Romain Grosjean and Pastor Maldonado have contracts with Lotus for next year, Renault coming on board alters the landscape.

Renault is expected to keep Frenchman Grosjean, with Maldonado believed to be negotiating - supported by backer PDVSA - to ensure he retains his seat.

The up-to-date facilities at Lotus's Enstone factory - well known to Renault from its previous ownership of the team - are crucial to the deal.

Lotus's CFD programme and driver-in-the-loop simulator are only two years old, while the 60 per cent windtunnel is three years old.

Although Renault, through Prost, has also held tentative talks with Force India about a potential shareholding, the Silverstone-based marque's relative lack of facilities is a drawback.

Renault has no real wish to acquire a team without the infrastructure behind it, though Force India remains an option should the Lotus shareholders pull out of the deal at the last minute.

Of particular interest is Renault's current engine deal with Red Bull and Toro Rosso, with sources suggesting there are three options on the table.

The first is Renault honouring its other contracts for 2016 alongside its own team.

Though this would maintain an additional income stream, Red Bull's contract specifically states that it takes priority.

Another possibility is for Renault - which has road car affiliations with Mercedes - to keep Lotus's current Mercedes power for a year while seeing out its other contracts.

Finally, Renault could focus entirely on its own programme, but as a way of softening the blow to Red Bull, assist it in finding a new supplier, where the links with Mercedes could again pay dividends.

The planned payment structure would amount to a bold statement of long-term F1 commitment from Renault, guaranteeing a minimum 10-year presence.

While tentative steps would be taken in 2016, as Renault again tries to find its feet in F1 as a full-time works outfit, it would consider '17 as its first year to try to push the likes of Mercedes and Ferrari for honours.

I like more Prost involved, if this mean getting Nicholas on the grid can we get Bruno back in as well just so I can live in the late 1980's again :wub: 

Just what we need, a shitty version of an epic rivalry :P
Obviously Nicky Prost has no chance of making it onto the F1 grid, in the past 3 years he's not gotten the required 40 points towards a superlicense, so he's SOL.

Grosjean staying is a no-brainer, he's French and has enough talent to challenge for podiums when the conditions are right like in Belgium, and a better car will only help that end. But I really don't want to see Maldonado in the F1 despite his high entertainment factor, he's a boon and makes a joke out of the sport with his mere presence, and I rather see him and moneybags go to a smaller team that'll be cash-strapped, like Manor, or Sauber... Really, after what Monisha Kalterborn did this season, she deserves a driver like Maldonado to bin every car they give him.

Next year I just really want to see Kevin Magnussen back in F1, because in 2014 he showed real talent in the McLaren and I think given a nice car will make him thrive. If it's possible, i'd also love to see Stoffel Vandoorne make his way onto the grid because he's simply the best non-F1 talent right now. Every series he's driven in he's been a title contender, his 2014 GP2 series had him come in second in his first year, this year he's running away with the title and he's leading 100+ points over Alex Rossi. Stoffel is as F1-ready as anyone can be, and if McLaren wants to keep both Button and Alonso, something will have to give and they'll have to hash out a deal with a midfield team to give Stoffel a seat and much needed F1 experience.

• Admin

Reminder for @Meacon, the Italian GP is this weekend. Hamilton topped the timings in FP1 and FP2 is taking place now.

The 2016 Formula 1 calendar is to now stretch into December, with Malaysia hosting the finale, as teams push for further changes to protect a summer break. At present a record-breaking 21-grands prix schedule is condensed into just eight months, due to a later-than-usual start in Australia on April 3, with Abu Dhabi hosting the finale again on November 27. However, F1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone has confirmed to AUTOSPORT that following a request from the race organisers in Singapore, the Malaysian Grand Prix will revert to either December 4 or 11. Singapore and Malaysia were originally due to run back to back on September 18 and 25, but due to their geographical proximity, the concern is one event will detract from the other.

LIKELY 2016 F1 CALENDAR CHANGE
April 3 - Australia

April 10 - China

April 24 - Bahrain

May 1 - Russia

May 15 - Spain

May 29 - Monaco

June 12 - Canada

June 26 - Britain

July 3 - Austria

July 17 - Europe (Baku)

July 31 - Germany

August 7 - Hungary

August 28 - Belgium (potentially September 4)

September 4 - Italy (potentially September 11)

September 18 - Singapore (potentially September 25)

October 9 - Japan

October 23 - USA 
October 30 - Mexico

November 13 - Brazil

November 27 - Abu Dhabi
December 4/11 - Malaysia

Technical director James Allison is to remain with Ferrari through to the end of the 2018 Formula 1 season after signing an extension to his current contract. Allison, who joined the Scuderia from Lotus midway through the 2013 campaign, was due to be out of contract at the end of this year.