Formula One 2015

Lineker

Amazing race, just heartpounding at all times and Verstappen was competing for a podium place for such a long time... He drove those supersofts for 37 laps!
They might've doubted his Hungary 4th due to all the punctures, but this 4th was all him. The best rookie in a long long time...

The last person to have a better rookie season than him is now a 3-time world champion....

Amazing race, just heartpounding at all times and Verstappen was competing for a podium place for such a long time... He drove those supersofts for 37 laps!
They might've doubted his Hungary 4th due to all the punctures, but this 4th was all him. The best rookie in a long long time...

The last person to have a better rookie season than him is now a 3-time world champion....

I want to say a certain 4 time world champion had a pretty good rookie season too?

Actually, it was 8 races, with 6 points scored (in the old system). But what defines a rookie season?

His first full season he finished 8th in points.

You know what, I can't be arsed with this pedantry, I paid the guy a compliment by comparing him to Lewis and you appear to be questioning it, you might be right, it isn't that impressive.

It was actually a genuine question, I mean, comparing him to just Lewis, or Lewis and Seb, two of this generation's greatest drivers, is great either way.

Was Vettel's (assuming you mean him) rookie season the season in which he dragged a Toro Rosso car to victory in the wet? If so, that was probably the most impressive rookie drive I've ever seen.

Hamilton's rookie season was obviously fantastic though, he competed right at the front all year.

Was Vettel's (assuming you mean him) rookie season the season in which he dragged a Toro Rosso car to victory in the wet? 

Nah. He raced about eight times the season before including finishing 4th in China. He was a good 20 races deep into his career before he picked up his first, albeit very impressive, victory.

Rich was complimenting Verstappen on how he clearly has the same spark and passion as a Hamilton - and if Verstappen manages to mature while racing in a not-so-good car like Hamilton had to for ages in McLaren, he could be a formidable force in the sport.

Fair enough, I just remember that being a massively impressive performance. Wins like that are all but non-existent in modern F1.

I wasn't arguing against Rich / for Eddie either, I totally agree that Verstappen has looked terrific in his rookie year. Easy to forget just how young he really is too.

Fair enough, I just remember that being a massively impressive performance. Wins like that are all but non-existent in modern F1.

I wasn't arguing against Rich / for Eddie either, I totally agree that Verstappen has looked terrific in his rookie year. Easy to forget just how young he really is too.

Yup. The fucker only passed his driving test three weeks ago. :wacko:

Was Vettel's (assuming you mean him) rookie season the season in which he dragged a Toro Rosso car to victory in the wet? If so, that was probably the most impressive rookie drive I've ever seen.

Hamilton's rookie season was obviously fantastic though, he competed right at the front all year.

Also he hardly dragged the Torro Rosso to victory, he won comfortably and that car has a really goof Ferrari engine in it that year.  On a low downforce track like Monza it was always going to be one of that car's better outings

11 hours ago, Rich Manning said:

Also he hardly dragged the Torro Rosso to victory, he won comfortably and that car has a really goof Ferrari engine in it that year.  On a low downforce track like Monza it was always going to be one of that car's better outings

This, to a degree. That Toro Rosso ended up being arguably the 3rd best car of the year by the end, but Vettel certainly managed to drag it around a hell of a lot better than Bourdais did. His performance in Brazil was evidence of that.

Also: Vettel did have a great performance in that debut run, when he was a legit 3rd in the Fuji GP until Lewis fucked him and Webber up.

• Admin

Manor team principal John Booth and sporting director Graeme Lowdon have tendered their resignations from the Formula 1 squad, Autosport understands.

The duo, who formed Manor Grand Prix in 2009 prior to it being renamed Virgin Racing ahead of its entry into F1 the following year, look set to remain in place until the end of the current season in Abu Dhabi next month.

It is believed Booth and Lowdon have felt forced to act following a difference of opinion with owner Stephen Fitzpatrick about the way forward for the team.

Fitzpatrick, founder of independent energy company Ovo, stepped in and saved Manor in February, after Booth and Lowdon had fought hard to keep the team alive since it fell into administration last October.

The team was given special dispensation to compete this season with a year-old spec of engine, provided by Ferrari, and with a chassis that at least conformed to the regulations on a safety basis.

For the past nine months the team has understandably struggled on track, with its cars constantly at the back of the grid and invariably last of those that see the chequered flag.

But behind the scenes Manor has been heading in the right direction, most notably securing a Mercedes engine supply for 2016.

After being forced to leave its factory in Banbury following administration, the team returned to a new base in the same area earlier this month.

Substantial income from Formula One Management for securing top-10 finishes in each of the last two seasons, puts Manor in its strongest financial position since it entered F1.

However, the situation with Fitzpatrick has come to a head for both Booth and Lowdon, who only recently decided it was in their best interests to leave.

Given the current state of affairs it is understood there is unlikely to be a u-turn unless there is a dramatic change of direction at the top level.

It is expected that unless the situation is resolved, a number of other personnel will follow Booth and Lowdon out of the team.

Neither man was able to comment when approached by Autosport, while Fitzpatrick is not in attendance at this weekend's grand prix in Mexico.

4 hours ago, Bobfoc said:

A fifty-place grid penalty ought to mean having to start the race from way behind the rest of the grid and round the previous corner.

And he has to find the keys from down the back of the sofa 

• Like 3

• Admin

The Force India Formula 1 team is closing on a deal to be rebranded as Aston Martin Racing next season, Autosport understands.

The move will bring the British sportscar manufacturer back to F1, over half a century after its previous brief foray in 1959 and 1960.

Aston Martin wants to have a presence in F1 to take on sportscar rivals McLaren and Ferrari on track as well as off.

It previously discussed a return to F1 in a tie-up with Red Bull as well as holding talks with Williams and Force India, before ultimately deciding to focus on the latter.

Alongside the team name change, it is understood the livery will become blue and gold as part of a link-up with sponsor Johnnie Walker.

Aston Martin will receive branding on the car while there be synergy on R&D to allow for significant technology transfer from F1 to its road car business.

Force India's engine supplier Mercedes, which owns five per cent of Aston Martin, is said to have given its blessing to such an arrangement.

Speaking to Autosport, Force India team principal Vijay Mallya said: "If tomorrow someone comes and offers me a good sum of money for title sponsorship, I'll seek the team name.

"If the marque comes along and I have to change the team name, I have to look at what it does for the team in terms of profile.

"It's premature to talk about it now, but we're talking.

"Nothing is done until it's done. I don't like to count my chickens until they are hatched."

A Force India spokesman said: "We continue to have a number of discussions about 2016 and beyond with both our current and new partners who see a commercial value in a relationship with Force India.

"When the time is right we will make suitable announcements in conjunction with our commercial partners. The future remains very bright for the team."

Force India will need to apply to F1's commercial rights holder to get approval for a name change, but such permission is believed to be a formality.

Vijay Mallya says the Force India Formula 1 team name has served its purpose as he closes on a deal that will rebrand the outfit as Aston Martin Racing.

As Autosport reported on Friday, Force India is set for a name change next season if the Aston partnership is completed, while its livery will become blue and gold as part of a link-up with sponsor Johnnie Walker.

Mallya purchased Spyker and renamed the outfit Force India for 2008, with the team finishing 10th in the constructors' championship.

Since then, it has steadily risen up the ranks and is currently fifth in the constructors' standings, which would be its highest finish.

Mallya insisted he would have no qualms about sacrificing the name he gave the team if it was in its best interests to rebrand.

"Please understand why the name of the team is Sahara Force India," team principal Mallya told Autosport.

"The Sahara bit is because they made a significant investment in the team and became a partner.

"The Force India bit is something I did when I bought the team - which I could have easily named Mallya F1 or Kingfisher F1 or whatever.

"I said Force India because I wanted to fulfil aspirations of all the motorsport enthusiasts in India who never could have even dreamed there would be an Indian F1 team on the grid.

"F1 has long been regarded as being out of reach.

"That was the objective and I've fulfilled that objective. We've fulfilled the objective over eight years."

Mallya believes the deal, which includes Aston Martin receiving branding on the car as well as technology transfer from F1 for its road car business, would be positive for the team's long term future.

"That marque is one of the most famous British brands," said Mallya.

"It has a good amount of stature. It is at a level of luxury and aspiration.

"It attracts more sponsors and makes what is today Force India more marketable.

"That's why I'm talking. It adds that little bit."