Formula One 2015

Lineker

• Admin

Lewis Hamilton has conceded to feeling the after-effects of a busy schedule, but insisted he is uninjured following his car crash earlier this week.

After missing a sponsor's event in Brazil on Wednesday due to a fever, Hamilton revealed he was also involved in a prang in Monaco in the early hours of Tuesday morning.

While confirming that his third world title triumph and the days that followed - which included throwing his mum a surprise 60th birthday party - had taken their toll, Hamilton said he had no health concerns ahead of this weekend's Formula 1 Brazilian Grand Prix.

"I feel good. I'm on an up slope, so a lot closer to 100 per cent," he said, having issued a clear "no" when asked if he had sustained any injuries from his crash.

As for the fever, the Mercedes driver added: "I'd gone to Mexico on Wednesday, worked Wednesday to the following Thursday, and then I had my mum's party.

"That was pretty amazing, but I really felt it on Sunday and Monday. Now I'm excited to be here. 

"I'm glad there are still two races to go because the end of the season comes and you can't wait to get back in the car, so I'm definitely cherishing the moments I am in the car.

"Otherwise, I'm not as excited for the break as usual. I don't know why.

"I'll be busy, with things I still to plan to do, and I'm looking forward to the training that's for sure because I've definitely put on a bit of weight over the last couple of months."

Suggested to Hamilton his usual intensity had perhaps waned after since securing the title in Austin last month, he replied: "I don't feel like the intensity has changed.

"Nico [Rosberg] is pushing and he doesn't want me to win, I don't want him to win, so that intensity stays the same, so you end up naturally staying in the same zone."

Hamilton had earlier taken to his Instagram account to outline the traffic incident involving his Pagani Zonda.

"I've not been well with a fever, but I also had a road accident in Monaco on Monday night," he wrote.

"Whilst ultimately, it is nobody's business, there are people knowing my position that will try to take advantage of the situation and make a quick buck. NO problem.

"Nobody was hurt, which is the most important thing. But the car was obviously damaged and I made very light contact with a stationary vehicle.

"Talking with the team and my doctor, we decided together that it was best for me to rest at home and leave a day later. But I am feeling better.

"I am informing you because I feel we all must take responsibility for our actions.

"Mistakes happen to us all, but what's important is that we learn from them and grow."

Lewis Hamilton has conceded his car crash in Monaco was as a result of "heavy partying", but insists he was never going to miss Formula 1's Brazilian Grand Prix.

Via a message on Instagram on Wednesday Hamilton admitted to "very light contact with a stationary vehicle" in his shunt in the early hours of Tuesday morning in Monaco in his Pagani Zonda supercar.

In a statement, Monaco's Palais de Justice has since confirmed the accident occurred as Hamilton's "foot slipped on the brake and clutch pedals and his vehicle struck three parked cars".

The statement also confirmed Hamilton "was tested for alcohol but the result was negative".

The incident resulted in the 30-year-old missing a sponsor's event in Brazil on Wednesday, and he described it as a result of the lifestyle he had led since clinching a third F1 title in the United States last month.

A hectic schedule followed by a surprise 60th birthday party for his mum Carmen last Saturday ultimately took its toll.

Speaking to British newspapers, Hamilton revealed: "It [the crash] was a result of heavy partying and not much rest for a week and a half.

"I don't feel as bad as I look, but I honestly feel a lot better.

"I am a bit run down. I have been non-stop and trying to fit training in at the same time and not getting a lot of sleep.

'The last two days I have slept pretty much all day. I couldn't believe how much I slept.

"I slept on the flight here. I usually sleep four or five hours but when you are training you need more than that.

"I am generally a really energetic person, but that week after Mexico and the party we drank a lot and I was really feeling it."

Hamilton, who is also an FIA Action for Road Safety ambassador, underlined that the possibility of not racing this weekend at Interlagos had never crossed his mind.

"I never considered not coming," said Hamilton.

"I have never ever not considered coming to a race throughout my whole life. In 22 years, I have never not been at a race."

• Admin

The BBC has released plans for its latest rounds of cuts, and a hefty sports budget reduction raises questions over Formula 1's remaining free-to-air television coverage in the UK.

The broadcaster wants to save £150million due to a funding shortfall arising from a drop in the number of people owning a television and a loophole, which the government has committed to close, allowing viewers to watch the iPlayer without a licence.

F1 ON THE BBC

The current shared agreement with Sky, which runs until the end of 2018, means the BBC screens half of the grands prix live and the remainder as highlights.

In its current financial position, it would not be a surprise if the BBC sought to renegotiate the terms of the contract, especially as it did so with its last deal back in 2011.

On that occasion, the BBC had been the UK's exclusive F1 broadcaster since 2009 and was set to continue until the end of '13, but amid a previous cost-cutting push it requested to end that deal two years early in favour of the collaboration with Sky.

THE CHALLENGE FACING THE BBC

The BBC simply has less money to play with in a world where the cost of TV sports rights is going through the roof. Understandably, it is finding it difficult to compete.

Earlier this year, BT Sport paid close to £1billion to secure rights to the Uefa Champions League and Europa League.

The BBC says £35million needs to be saved from the TV sports rights budget and it has already wielded the axe.

Having lost the Grand National, shortly followed by its entire horse racing portfolio, and the Masters golf as live events in recent years, the BBC was this year forced to relinquish exclusivity on rugby's Six Nations and golf's Open Championship.

It is understood the new highlights-only Open deal has saved the BBC approximately £10million per year while the Six Nations-split deal with ITV has saved around £15-20million.

Those savings will be put towards the £35million target, but it is also worth noting that the corporation has spent around £11million per year more on securing the Match of the Day contract extension. There is also the new Wimbledon extension to consider.

It is believed the BBC pays in the region of £12-14million per year for F1 under the terms of its current deal.

THE FUTURE OF F1 ON THE BBC

The immediate reaction to the cuts is that F1 is at risk but that is not necessarily the case and Autosport understands no decision has yet been made.

F1 is very important to the BBC and it fought hard to find a way to keep the championship in some form in the last round of negotiations.

The BBC is in constant talks with F1's rights holder, as is the case with all the sports it is involved in

It is understood discussions about the next deal were set to accelerate next year, given the end of the contract is approaching.

Along with its TV rights, there are the radio and online rights to consider, too, with BBC Radio 5 Live broadcasting every race live.

Earlier this year, and for what it's worth, F1 boss Bernie Ecclestone said he hopes the BBC does not walk away from the championship.

He even suggested keeping F1 on free-to-air TV in an era of dropping viewing figures took precedence over financial considerations.

"I hope they continue," he said in August. "We're not interested in the money.

"We're interested in entertaining the public and doing a service. That's what we are there for.

"The continuation of the Sky/BBC deal would be good.

"It works at the moment so there is no reason why we should change.

"Sky has done a super job. They have lifted the level, and they have lifted the BBC."

It is plausible that the BBC could save a substantial amount of money and keep F1 by moving to a highlights-only package.

That could mean a return to the days of a small production team on the ground, which included a pitlane reporter, and the main show presented from a studio back at base.

That is the model American broadcaster NBC uses, with bigger teams drafted in for its home event and three other races it shows free-to-air.

The BBC already broadcasts a number of sports, including tennis and cycling, using this format.

That would leave Sky as the exclusive live broadcaster, though it is understood F1 has been the subject of consideration for BT Sport.

It should also be noted that the BBC has increased its links with BT Sport of late, jointly holding rights to the FA Cup and grass court tennis tournaments ahead of Wimbledon, plus it screened an edited version of The Clare Balding Show.

There have been concerns from the fans on social media about the impact the mooted phasing out of the Red Button would have on its F1 coverage.

The platform shows the post-race F1 forum and has been used for other F1 programming such as archive material.

The corporation continues to push its BBC iPlayer platform and therefore could provide a home for those shows, along with its website - which already streams the post-race F1 Forum live.

WHAT THE BBC SAYS

"We have been working through the implications of delivering these additional savings for a number of months, in conjunction with our response to the super-inflation that is prevalent across the sports rights sector," a spokesperson told Autosport.

"We have made some difficult decisions such as amending our contract for the Open Championship one year early and also looked at alternative rights models to help us achieve these savings - for example, sharing the Six Nations with ITV.

"We will continue to look at where further savings can be made."

• Admin

Force India has signed GP3 racer Alfonso Celis as a development driver for the 2016 Formula 1 season.

Mexican Celis will get his first chance behind the wheel of a F1 car at the one-day post-Abu Dhabi Grand Prix test, sharing driving duties with Nico Hulkenberg.

As part of the deal, the 19-year-old will take part in seven practice sessions over the course of next season as well as conducting work in the simulator.

Celis is racing for ART this season in GP3, scoring one podium and is currently 13th in the drivers' standings with two race weekends to go.

He also contested the Formula Renault 3.5 series this term with AVF, finishing 16th overall with a best finish of fourth.

"Ever since I started racing I've been dreaming of Formula 1, so it's a huge honour to begin working with Force India," said Celis.

"It's an amazing opportunity for me to learn about Formula One and to work closely with the engineers and race drivers.

"Being on the track in Abu Dhabi will be an incredible feeling.

"It's going to be the biggest moment in my career and I am fully focused on doing a good job for the team."

Team boss Vijay Mallya said: "As our development driver we will work hard to prepare Alfonso for the demands of driving in Formula 1 and provide a good grounding in all aspects of the job.

"It's a fantastic opportunity for him to learn from Sergio and Nico, and to get valuable mileage in the car."

Alex Wurz has not ruled out an eventual move into Formula 1 team management following his rejection of the top job at Manor Grand Prix.

The Toyota World Endurance Championship driver, who will hang up his helmet after this weekend's Bahrain series finale, explained that he turned down Manor owner Stephen Fitzpatrick's offer of the team principal role because "the timing was not right".

"It wasn't the right time because I am moving in one direction for the future," the 40-year-old Austrian told Autosport.

"I decided that I would not be available for this job and to continue in my original direction, which I can't talk about at the moment."

Asked if he could see himself in a senior management role at a F1 team in the future, Wurz said: "Maybe. It would definitely be a challenge, and since my childhood I have always liked to face new challenges."

Two-time Le Mans 24 Hours winner Wurz, who contested 69 grands prix with Benetton, McLaren and Williams, has a variety of interests in motorsport outside of driving.

He is president of the Grands Prix Drivers' Association, is an advisor to the board at Williams, has a circuit design business and is involved in driver management.

Fitzpatrick, who revived the Manor squad ahead of the 2015 season, approached Wurz after team boss John Booth and sporting director Graeme Lowndon tendered their resignations at the end of October.

Former long-time McLaren employee Dave Ryan, who ended up as sporting director of the F1 team, was announced as Manor's new racing director earlier this week.

• Admin

More from the article:

• Illien confirmed to AMuS that Illmor have applied for the alternative engine tender
  • competitors will probably be Cosworth and AER
  • FIA will make a decision on December 2nd, before that the proposal has to go through the Strategy Group and F1 Commission on November 24th
  • the FIA defined the requirements intentionally broad and not based on IndyCar engine regulations (2.2L V6) to get as many applications as possible
  • AER, for example, have a 2.5L engine in their program
  • Illmor seems most promising applicant, because they could modify their existing IndyCar engine to meet the FIA's requirements relatively easily
  • conversion from ethanol to petrol not too difficult; charge air coolers, which are not allowed in IndyCar, makes the conversion easier
  • lowering the crankshaft by 10 mm is a bigger challenge, because it requires modification to block, sump, and cylinder heads
  • increasing the power output to around 900 hp (almost 200 more than in IndyCar) is manageable; the engines are used to stress and have no problems running at full power for 3h during the 500 mile races
  • before a decision has been made Illien does not want to comment on a possible collaboration with Renault on their V6 hybrid engine
  • according to Cyril Abiteboul Renault have started to reconsider Illmor's cylinder head solution, after their own disappointed in Brazil
  • the collaboration would affect all Renault-powered teams, the regulations do not allow Red Bull to have their own version of the engine

• Admin

The Formula 1 Commission has voted not to pursue the idea of an alternative budget engine at this stage, according to governing body the FIA.

The cost of a customer supply, believed to be in the region of 20million euros, has been a cause of concern since the new 1.6-litre V6 engines were introduced at the start of 2014.

Since Ferrari vetoed plans last month to cut the cost of customer engine deals from around 20million euros to 12million euros, the FIA and Bernie Ecclestone proposed a cheaper alternative, with performance equivalence to ensure a level playing field.

Earlier this month, the FIA asked for expressions of interest to supply a budget engine and it has emerged there are four "credible" proposals, two of which are believed to be AER and Ilmor.

However, following a meeting of the Strategy Group in Paris on Tuesday, followed by an F1 Commission meeting, the idea has now been put on the backburner.

Instead, the manufacturers - working with the FIA - will produce a proposal by January 15 2016 that provides solutions to concerns over the power unit, which will focus on:

• Guarantee of the supply of Power Units to teams
  • The need to lower the cost of Power Units to customer teams
  • Simplification of the technical specification of the power units
  • Improved noise
  • The FIA added that the decision to not pursue the budget engine may be reassessed after the manufacturers have presented their proposal to the Strategy Group.

Within the proposal, there will be a rule that stipulates a minimum number of teams a manufacturer must supply, ensuring all teams have access to an engine.

It is hoped these developments will be ready for the 2017 season at the earliest and certainly in time for 2018.

The first meeting between the FIA and the manufacturers with regards engines will take place at this weekend's Abu Dhabi Grand Prix.

35 minutes ago, Chris2K said:

I'm sure Ferrari and Mercedes will be really pleased with their money when there's only 8 cars on the grid and nobody's watching or sponsoring them. The lack of forward thinking by these people just baffles me.

They're thinking about their own business, really. Right now they're the only teams shilling their B-Spec engines to other teams, and that means they control who are at the front of the grid (Ferrari and Mercedes), so financially it's good for the both of them to keep the other teams from getting cheaper engines somewhere else.

There's also the issue of 'what-if', what if that cheap customer engine can do the same job as a b-spec engine from Ferrari/Mercedes, or even better and sit between that performance area of A-Spec Rari/Merc engines and the B-Spec variants... That means teams will flock to use the alternative engine knowing they'll save a shittonne of money because they won't have to research the engine and they can fully focus on building the ultimate aero package (this is where Red Bull would thrive once more)...

Naturally for us the fan it would be awesome, cheaper engines even if they're not ultra-competitive can add a whole new flair to the championship and potentially lure in new investors and new teams that can add more cars to the grid and generally make it an even bigger spectacle than it already is.

But sadly, politics are too heavy in F1 and sadly a small group of teams can completely derail progression purely by hanging on to their current top positions, in the end they want competition but not competition that'll hurt their own gains.

• Like 1

• Admin

Formula 1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone has been forced to step in and help Lotus guarantee its place in the season-closing Abu Dhabi Grand Prix, Autosport can reveal.

With details still being finalised with regard to Renault's takeover, but with the protracted talks nearing an end, it has led to ongoing delays in the paying of bills.

One of those relates to the Yas Marina circuit, which resulted in Lotus personnel being locked out and the team's equipment sat at Abu Dhabi airport awaiting transportation to the track.

Ecclestone eventually paid the overdue amount, allowing staff to start unpacking on Thursday morning, two days behind schedule.

Not for the first time this season, Lotus mechanics are hastily assembling the team's cars ahead of a scrutineering session that will take place shortly prior to first practice.

Lotus trackside director of operations Alan Permane has confirmed to Autosport the team will be on track for practice one, which commences at 1pm local time on Friday, later than the majority of races due to the twilight start of the grand prix.

Pastor Maldonado, looking on as forklift trucks manoeuvred their way through the paddock, said: "We will be ready for tomorrow.

"We have to work harder and quicker than usual, but our guys are very strong and fit. They are used to this so there should be no problem.

"Obviously it is very difficult to arrive at every race and have something new, but this is something we have. We will do our best.

"We are united, we are together, this is a good team. We need to show we are all here together."

With Renault due to be returning as a works team for next season, Maldonado would like to believe it is the last time he and the staff will have to endure such a tough start to a weekend.

"I hope that, next season, we will sort this kind of problem which is causing more tension and pressure for everyone," added Maldonado.

"Hopefully we can get some news soon [on the takeover]. It is very important to know our future.

"It is quite clear there is a negotiation and it is very close to a deal.

"Every day that passes it gets closer, but until we have the final confirmation it is always difficult.

"It is something that should happen. It would be the best for the team and for these guys so hopefully it can happen soon."

Hurry up already Renault!

Pretty sure everything to do with France is slowed down at the minute, we are having troubles getting our French colleagues to provide us with some reporting to agreed deadlines. :( 

Look forward to having Renaults back though.

Can they sign up Nicola Prost and Bruno Senna as team-mates though <_< 

• Admin

Red Bull Racing team principal Christian Horner has confirmed the team has a power unit agreement in place for the 2016 Formula 1 season.

After a summer of uncertainty over its engine supply, Red Bull's only fallback option was reuniting with current partner Renault.

It now appears a new deal has been done with the French manufacturer, which in turn is hoping to become a works outfit again next season as it completes a takeover of Lotus.

Horner said: "Next year will be a transitional year.

"We have an agreement with an engine [supplier] for next year which hopefully will be confirmed in the coming days.

"It will have a development path, which ironically, in a way, is what we were trying to achieve 12 months ago, and we'll see how that goes."

Red Bull's future has been up in the air for a number of months after it initially decided to withdraw from its supply contract with Renault a year ahead of schedule.

The Milton Keynes-based team turned to Mercedes, only for the German manufacturer to decide against supplying a major rival.

Red Bull then held discussions with Ferrari, but the Scuderia also chose not to help, while the prospect of a tie up with Honda was rejected by McLaren Group CEO Ron Dennis.