2015 MLB Season

thatshortguy

3 hours ago, damshow said:

Well David Glass has just validated all the other cheap owners in baseball.

I am wondering if this is going to last, whether he keeps cheaping out and the team goes to shit again - or if this actually makes the team commit to investing in long term success.

Having seen Shields and Butler bail out last offseason, I am thinking the first. This run might go another year or two before it hits the fan. The Twins look due to take the Central back too, with their solid prospects coming up.

Thing is, Royals player development is garbage.  We were talking as far back as 2007 about the great crop of talent the Royals had in the minors.  Alex Gordon was the "next George Brett".  But they never developed anything.  Somehow, through an act of god, the guys all had the chance to grow a lot at the major league level.  But Glass won't spend the money to keep any of them around except maybe one "centerpiece".  Working on a shoestring budget is a bad situation for longterm success, but bullpens still come cheap (not for much longer though) so you can build a winner with a young, cheap core and a bullpen.  You can't keep it together though.  KC could repeat, and stay competitive into 2017, but they'll slide back down into mediocrity pretty quickly and the Twins and Indians will take over the Central from there.

I think the Mets have a better shot at making it back to the World Series soon than the Royals do, and I'm not saying that just because I'm a Mets fan. There's plenty of good talent ready to get called up and, even if they lose Cespedes and Murphy, there will still be plenty of talent on the roster. 

On 11/3/2015, 10:08:53, ElTiburon said:

I think the Mets have a better shot at making it back to the World Series soon than the Royals do, and I'm not saying that just because I'm a Mets fan. There's plenty of good talent ready to get called up and, even if they lose Cespedes and Murphy, there will still be plenty of talent on the roster. 

If they lost Cespedes and Murphy, do they plan on winning 2-1 every game?

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, thatshortguy said:

The Braves just dealt Andrelton Simmons to the Angels. :huh:

Rumor is Freeman is next. :huh:

...we're the new Marlins. :crying:

Marlins used to actually win before blowing everything up.

• 3 weeks later...

Starlin Castro to the Yankees (NO CUBS NO) for a player tba and Adam Warren, and Ben Zobrist agreed to a 4-year, $56 million deal with the Cubs yesterday.

That's a pretty good day for the Cubs all told. Adam Warren is a solid pickup and Zobrist is one of the most versatile players in the game.

Diamondbacks are going for it all. They introduced awful new uniforms, signed Greinke, and just traded number 1 pick Dansby Swanson to Atlanta for Shelby Miller.

6 hours ago, Cloudy said:

Starlin Castro to the Yankees (NO CUBS NO) for a player tba and Adam Warren, and Ben Zobrist agreed to a 4-year, $56 million deal with the Cubs yesterday.

There is something I am missing as a Cubs fan here.  Only thing I can figure is they thought his bat expendable with Zobrist/Baez/Bryant capable of playing a lot of infield spots.  I still don't like the idea, though.  They should have sent us Soler for Andrelton Simmons or Shelby Miller :shifty:

25 minutes ago, damshow said:

That's a pretty good day for the Cubs all told. Adam Warren is a solid pickup and Zobrist is one of the most versatile players in the game.

Diamondbacks are going for it all. They introduced awful new uniforms, signed Greinke, and just traded number 1 pick Dansby Swanson to Atlanta for Shelby Miller.

D-Backs are completely buying in this year.  They damn near gave up their farm to get Miller in what's going to be the peak of the Braves' 2016 season.  Arizona's staff isn't Schilling/Johnson scary yet, but they have a staff that make you feel they're gonna contend in almost every game.  The Braves?  Let's just not talk about the Braves this year.

That's the current model for building a winner. Load up on young arms, hope 3-4 pan out, trade 1 or 2 still in the minors when the older ones blossom, enjoy a window of a few years before the pitchers all blow out their arms or sign elsewhere. It's such an obvious path to success I can see why the Orioles have failed miserably at it.

• Like 2