The Thread Where We Discuss Golf

Marcos

I learnt to play at a family gold club, had free coaching on the Saturdays and played junior tournaments on the Sundays. Also went to all the youth events they did over the holidays, loved it.

Family clubs also have the benefit of not being so stringent on dress code etc.

First thing you should do is hit a driving range, at most ranges I've been to they'll have some clubs set aside to let you practice with. Would move onto pitch and putt to experience a short course and after a few months on the driving range hit a real golf course. 

It takes a lot of time to perfect shots, I have a handicap of 16 and I can be wildy inconsistent for no apparent reason. Sometimes I'll have ace long game and then hit the ball from one side of the green to the other for five hours.

However I have to say it's an extremely addictive sport and the first time you nail a shot you'll get what I mean. Hitting great shots is just such a rush.

Edited by Sam

1. Is it fun to play? Do you enjoy it?

I find it fun. To me it is rewarding like few other sports I have played (and i've played at least a game of most sports that are played professionally for millions of dollars. I haven't played at that level in any of them, of course, but i've played the sport). I still remember great approach shots or putts i've made from years ago - it is a sport where individual plays stand out in your memory more. You'll find your  friends will too.

It's quite unique in that it is a "solo" sport - but is exponentially more fun spent in a social environment. Me and friends will often go for 9 holes + lunch + drinks and make an afternoon out of it. You don't get too sweaty just from playing and so you don't have to worry about feeling the need to shower afterwards which often gets in the way of post-sport socializing. Also if you have a look at how long the nine holes you just played was, it's a great way to get in a "sneaky" walk.

2. How hard is Golf for people who have never played? Will it be "Ha ha we suck" fun or "Fuck this we suck!" irritating?

It depends a lot on how competitive everyone is. If you are hyper-competitive, and compare yourself to TV, then it can be unenjoyable. It is also a very technical sport - You have to constantly pay attention to your technique otherwise your shots will go badly.

If you have a coach or teacher who is good at teaching, and you're receptive to learning (the important thing here would be to NOT try to compare it to any other sport, imo. You'd need to unlearn what you have learned about how to hold bats/sticks/whatever) then it isn't hard to pick up.

I don't find it "difficult" to get to a functional state where you can get by and finish a round (I usually keep to 9) - but as I said earlier you need to always be focused on performing what you've learned in every shot, because it is also very easy to get it wrong.

3. We don't have clubs obviously. Can you rent them? Is that a thing?

Absolutely, I would be stunned if a public golf course did not offer this.

4. Is it better to just jump right in or should we try and practice or something first?

Up to you. Practicing it can be part of the fun. Most public golf courses have driving ranges and practice greens to practice  your Drives and Putts/chipping. Sometimes if I don't have a friend available i'll just head down to the range and start hitting balls just so I know i've still got the rhythm and whatnot.

I enjoy golf, I do find it a little frustrating at times but I'm enjoying it a lot more now I'm playing with my mate who's shit (like me) rather than when I was playing with my dad who criticised every little thing I did wrong even if it was a shot that was 95% alright but maybe I pushed it right a bit or something. Having said that I would find someone who knows how to play to teach you the basics otherwise you'll just end up scuffing 90% of your shots and shooting 180 over par.

I think you can rent clubs from most courses but equally I'm sure you can pick up a cheap set on eBay or wherever, as a complete beginner it's not really going to make a difference if you're hitting with sports direct own brand clubs as opposed to ping i6s and at least you'll be playing with the same clubs each time.

Also don't worry about holding people up, if people catch up to you and are clearly playing quicker than you, just let them play past you.