'Quitting' computer games as a whole?

Liam

Just wondering - as we get older, has anyone ever considered (or even have) 'quitting' computer games as a hobby? Or are we all just going to end up buying every conceivable new console and trying to keep up with the latest games way into half century and beyond?

I feel like I've got a few years before I quit, probably when I end up having kids, which will take a couple of years. Once I have kids I'll probably have 0 time for games.

Edited by RPS
  • Like 1

I feel like I've got a few years before I quit, probably when I end up having kids, which will take a couple of years. Once I have kids I'll probably have 0 time for games.

Another good reason for me to not want kids >_>

• Like 4

Probably not. I may slow down or my preferences may change, but I doubt I'll ever quit full-stop. I feel like gaming is a big enough part of our generation that that's the decision most people will come to as well; preferences will change and as people get older, married, have kids etc. they may not have as much time for gaming as they wished, but I don't think it'll be something that most people outright quit. 

Another good reason for me to not want kids >_>

Eh. I love spending time with my nieces and nephew, so I think I'll enjoy being a father more than playing games. And hey, when they turn 6-7, they'll start playing games with me.

Edited by RPS
  • Like 1

NEVER~!

I have switched to PC gaming as I've got older.

This. I sold my consoles earlier this year and I'm quite content with PC gaming from now on. The fact is most current gen games are also on PC but cheaper and that last-gen emulation has come so far so soon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09ZSwrdsHzQ

I've got 2 kids and my son is just starting to properly get into gaming, it's fun teaching him stuff and I'm excited for some multiplayer sessions with him.

• Like 3

Just wondering - as we get older, has anyone ever considered (or even have) 'quitting' computer games as a hobby?

Edited by Mick

Not necesarily. You just have to fit it in. Like I don't know if you like those super long RPGs but if you do I hope you can be ok enjoying them an hour at a time :P 

• Like 2

I will go months and months without playing computer games and then I'll go back home to the parents' where I still have my PS3, which I might play pretty intensively for a week or so.

I haven't bought a new game since GTA V. It's not been a conscious decision. I just haven't seen anything that's really interested me since.

I will go months and months without playing computer games and then I'll go back home to the parents' where I still have my PS3, which I might play pretty intensively for a week or so.

I haven't bought a new game since GTA V. It's not been a conscious decision. I just haven't seen anything that's really interested me since.

Basically this, only I'm living there permanently right now and I still haven't picked up a controller in at least 3 months.

I quite like my 'mature' gaming phase, when I only have a couple of hours a week at absolute most so I'm catching up with games I've never got round to through my brothers PS+ account. Think the most recent game I've played is Mass Effect 3.

I'm also still teaching my 3 year old Mario Kart Wii. Fun!

NEVER~!

I have switched to PC gaming as I've got older.

This. I sold my consoles earlier this year and I'm quite content with PC gaming from now on. The fact is most current gen games are also on PC but cheaper and that last-gen emulation has come so far so soon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09ZSwrdsHzQ

I've got 2 kids and my son is just starting to properly get into gaming, it's fun teaching him stuff and I'm excited for some multiplayer sessions with him.

"Gameplay does not work as of this build and the menu music does not work however the rest of the game is running flawlessly."

Menu Simulator 2016

• Like 1

Eh, I think the fact they've got that far so soon is amazing. Some arcade games are pretty much completely playable (Scott Pilgrim is one that spring to mind, Dash of Destruction too).

They still can't emulate the original Xbox properly and I think 360 emulation has passed it or will pass it very soon. I'd imagine by this time next year we'll be able to completely play most games on it if the progress they've made keeps up.

Also NCAA 14 is a decent game to play without gameplay too, you can essentially play it like an FM type of game. Especially since the last NCAA Football game to come out on PC was in like 1999.

I doubt it.  There's this idea that adults don't play video games, but we're just now beginning to see the first generation of people in their 40s that grew up with home consoles.  There's a bunch of guys at the comedy house who graduated college in like 94 and are all still gamers, because that's what they grew up doing.  They share the console with their kids, but after the kids have gone to bed, they're online playing.  Gaming is becoming more and more a part of the culture as the years go by, so the idea that you should stop as you get older is going to fade.  Gaming habits will absolutely change with age, and family and work, but odds are most people who've played their whole life will keep doing it in some way, shape or form.

• Like 5

Pokemon played a big part in getting my niece to read at 3. Playing it with her was huge for the two of us. I don't play a lot of games that I wouldn't be comfortable playing with them anymore, but I still have a lot of time for games. Can't imagine ever not playing at this point, although the specifics of what I like to play, when, and how much, will probably continue to change.

• Like 1

Are you talking like - computer gaming specifically? I've tried to get into the PC stuff but I just can't do it for anything past the niche stuff that you can only find an audience for on PC. I've pretty much accepted that I am going to be console until I die or until something can copy the straight up ease, aesthetic and support that something like the Xbox One gets in all aspects.

Now if we're talking about games in general, for a long time now I have been thinking about exactly what Maxx has posted for quite a while. I'm actually excited to see what everything is like when people our age get up to where our elders are now.

Between graduate school and my son, I don't have as much time for gaming as I used to, but I still work it in.  It unwinds me.  But I have noticed that I've lost patience for a lot of games that involve waiting.  Tried to play Metal Gear Solid 3 last week as I've never played it before and absolutely couldn't stand it.