The Best MLS Season Ever Thread (2016 obviously)

GoGo Yubari

AC Milan Defender Leonel Vangioni Linked with Red Bulls

1 hour ago, Szumi Claus said:

Been incredibly quiet for us this off season. All I ask is for Stewart and Curtin to figure out if they want Edu as a CB or CDM, so they can buy an upgrade at the other spot. And a quality striker. The back line was generally awful in the second half of the season. Marquez is fine enough, but Yaro is not ready, and Tribbett doesn't belong in the league. Carroll is sadly just past it to be a regular in the XI, and Creavalle - while I really like him as a squad player - lacks the discipline and consistency. Up top, it just seems like Charlie Davies isn't going to ever get a chance, and Sapong lacks the consistently and finishing skills. By no means do I hope we lose him though, just need an upgrade.

... Expecting another goalkeeper to be signed instead. It's still The Union after all :shifty:

^ you've pretty much said it.  You have a SQUAD PLAYER team without any real standout capable guys (and the one you do isn't getting the shot).  I mean you've got Bedoya, Alberg, and Ilsihno which is a pretty damn good MF ... but they're in a breadless sandwich out there in the middle of the park.  Pontius came back very well last year but he's still a question mark.  It's weird ... but here's Curtin's comments after he finished the new Pro Licensing Coaching Program:

I want us to be known as a club that develops players for the United States national team. That sounds obvious, but I think we are a unique team in that regard.

I think others have their eyes set on bringing in the DPs and the elite players. I want players to come through the Philadelphia Union and play for the United States national team. Because at the end of the day, this country and this game will only grow if our national team is great. Not good, great.
You can bring over a [Andrea] Pirlo, you can bring over a [Frank] Lampard, and yeah, maybe 30,000 more people might watch a game. But it's only going to really move from a sport where seven to eight million people are watching our national team play, if our national team is good. I'm truly a believer in that. I think we're a club that believes in that strategy.
And it needs to be said, too, that winning is at the front of it. That's understood that we're a pro team, and we know we need to win first and foremost. But along with that, developing players for the United States national team.
What makes me happy the most is to now see Keegan Rosenberry get called in [to the U.S.' upcoming training camp in January], to see [Alejandro] Bedoya get called in, to see Chris Pontius resurrect his career and get called in - from a goal that we set at the beginning of the year. That's special to me.
To see Derrick Jones get called into the under-20s with Auston Trusty, and know that we have those young kids coming up, driving the engine for us, is powerful. Our staff has done a great job, Earnie has done a great job, of shifting that culture.

Alberg is massively overrated. He doesn't have the work rate necessary to make it. He got found out real quick, and Ilsinho hasn't really performed up to standard at all. I've been a fan of Fabian Herbers, think he's got potential. We also need to replace Barnetta too, sadly :(

51 minutes ago, Szumi Claus said:

Alberg is massively overrated. He doesn't have the work rate necessary to make it. He got found out real quick, and Ilsinho hasn't really performed up to standard at all. I've been a fan of Fabian Herbers, think he's got potential. We also need to replace Barnetta too, sadly :(

I love Herbers ... hope he gets a solid shot.  Ilsinho hasn't been who most figured he'd be, but he's been more than adequate IMO.  I think part of the issue with him is that Pontius roared back and the guys up top didn't really help the MID out too much.  Though he wasn't hardly a 90m player either which wasn't expected.  Alberg just seemed to be lost when Bedoya arrived as he'd been doing what Bedoya was brought in to do.  Barnetta being gone makes me sad ... loved that guy. 

THIS IS OFFICIAL!!!!!!!!  HUGE for CCL play and to start the season as Mauro recovers (again). 

C0s5OcCUAAEZ6OX.jpg

Fox Sports Netherlands journalist Martijn Visscher reports that RSL and Groningen have agreed to a deal for the 22-year-old Slovak inernational, though Rusnak and the MLS side have yet to agree to personal terms.

The Seattle Sounders are the latest club to be linked with a swoop for AC Milan playmaker Keisuke Honda, with his agent saying he would prefer to come to MLS over China. And he's not the only Japan midfielder in the Sounders rumor mill: They're also reportedly back in for Hiroshi Kiyotake, who picked defending Europa League champs Sevilla over them earlier this year.

Veteran Millonarios midfielder Rafael Robayo, who played for Chicago a few seasons back, says he will no longer continue with his current club and is weighing a return to the league, along with possibilities in Ecuador and Peru.

The Costa Rican influx in MLS shows no signs of slowing, with Marca.com's Arch Bell reporting that four teams are interested in Saprissa forward Daniel Colindres. MLS Transfers has specifically linked him to Minnesota United.

Friberg's option was declined by SEA and he's heading back to Sweden

Cruz Azul have declined their option to purchase forward Erick "Cubo" Torres from the Houston Dynamo.

Washington Post's Steven Goff reported on January 2 that Borussia Dortmund II attacker Junior Flores has "agreed to 3-year MLS deal." Goff reports Crew SC are the "top option"; however, Crew SC would have to do some maneuvering to make it a reality. As a US youth international, Flores would enter MLS through the Allocation Process, and Atlanta United currently hold the top spot in the Allocation Ranking Order.  (Developing situation here as ATL is supposed to be using it on Guzan, and MIN isn't really interested but could get something for the slot if they feign giving a crap about Flores)

San Lorenzo's  Sebastian Blanco is linked once again with a move to the Seattle Sounders after the player's agent told Argentina's Radio Punto the winger has received offers from the MLS side and from Club America.

Argentinean newspaper La Nacion reports that Boca Juniors star  Fernando Gago could be leaving the club after reaching an impasse over his contract, a development that appears to have drawn interest for the midfielder from MLS, China and AC Milan

^ the situation in Argentina is DIRE.... MLS clubs should be poaching the shit out of that league.  Reports that as many as 20-30 of the "top" clubs are either late or simply not paying players. 

French site Foot Sur 7 reported on Dec. 31 that Icelandic F Kolbeinn Sigthorsson could be on the move to MLS. While tenuous reports have linked the Nantes striker to Philadelphia and Vancouver, a possible destination for the Euro 2016 player remains unknown.

The Toronto Sun's Kurt Larson reported on Jan. 5 that Toronto FC were close to re-signing M Benoit Cheyrou, whose previous deal with the Reds expired at the end of last season, for 2017.

On Jan. 5 an executive at Ecuadorian club Barcelona SC affirmed various media reports that New York City FC D Jefferson Mena has left the Big Apple to join the Guayaquil-based side on a one-year loan with an option to buy.

Colombian outlet Futbol Red reported on Jan. 4 that Atletico Nacional M Alejandro Bernal was a target for the New York Red Bulls, among other suitors.

TVA's Nicolas Arsenault tweeted on Jan. 5 that reports out of Argentina claimed Montreal Impact owner Joey Saputo is currently working on a deal that would see M Ignacio Piatti depart the club. Piatti has been connected to Argentine powerhouse Boca Juniors this offseason.

The Chicago Fire announced on Jan. 5 they have signed F Luis Solignac to a two-year deal with a club option for a third year.

ESPN700's Bill Riley tweeted out on Jan. 5 that Real Salt Lake GM Craig Waibel said there's a "high probability" M Luis Silva returns to the club in 2017, and that RSL are in talks with UANL Tigres.

Prost Amerika's Julian Cardillo reported on Jan. 5 that D Darrius Barnes would not return to the New England Revolution in 2017, as the player was negotiating with other clubs. In addition, Cardillo also reported on Jan. 4 for Prost Amerika that M Gershon Koffie was also not returning to New England, as he was close to signing for another club, despite apparent Revolution interest to bring him back for the new season.

Montreal Impact announced on Jan. 5 they have signed D Wandrille Lefevre to a two-year deal, with official options beyond that.

=========

- Sigthorsson would be interesting.  Vancouver needs an out and out ST and Philly could use help up top as well.

- Cheyrou back to TFC will be huge for them.

- Bernal is really good.  Starts as DM/Box to Box for Atletico (who just won the Copa Libertadores in 2016).  Big time player. 

- I'd really hate to see Piatti go.  Wonderful player for the league.

After reports that Montreal Impact M Ignacio Piatti might depart the club for Boca Juniors this winter, CBC Radio-Canada reported on Jan 6 that the maestro "has a season and a half left on his contract in Montreal and he intends to respect the agreement until the end."

FC Dallas announced on Jan. 6 that Trabzonspor had exercised the purchase option in their loan deal for winger Fabian Castillo, transferring the Colombian's rights to the Turkish club.

Orlando City announced the re-signing of M Servando Carrasco, D Kevin Alston and D Seb Hines on Jan. 6.

The Colorado Rapids signed University of Denver D Kortne Ford and Creighton University standout M Ricardo Perez to Homegrown contracts on Jan. 6.

Real Salt Lake unveiled Slovak playmaker Albert Rusnak as a Young Designated Player signing on Jan. 6.

Portland Timbers owner Merritt Paulson said in a since-deleted tweet that the club is in pursuit of and close to signing a "high-level" Designated Player.

FiftyFive.One reported on Jan. 6 that Minnesota United's negotiations with goalkeeper Adam Kwarasey are off due to a back injury he has picked up.

FiftyFive.One also reported that Minnesota United is closing in on signing Norwegian international Vadim Demidov, who last played for SK Brann in Norway's top flight.

On Jan. 6 ESPN Brazil reported that Atlanta United are targeting Ecuadorian international attacking midfielder Juan Cazares. Atlanta United coach Tata Martino has allegedly been in direct contact with Cazares.

===============================================

Hopefully Piatti is staying.

Good riddance Castillo

RSL has a good history of finding really good players, this kid looks to be in the mold of their previous signings

"high level DP" for Portland?  

Cazares is another fantastic target from South America

@Meacon @HailtotheSickle I am likely going to buy partial season tickets for Union games this season; looking to get all Sunday games and a few Saturday games. I'll be buying two, and then just sell the other ticket to a friend on a game by game basis. If I go through with it, I'll gladly hook you up with a game!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Szumi Claus said:

@Meacon @HailtotheSickle I am likely going to buy partial season tickets for Union games this season; looking to get all Sunday games and a few Saturday games. I'll be buying two, and then just sell the other ticket to a friend on a game by game basis. If I go through with it, I'll gladly hook you up with a game!

You are phenomenal sir!  If there is ANY way I can make a game this season I will make every effort to do so!

It would be awesome to catch a match with you!

51 minutes ago, HailtotheSickle said:

LA Galaxy are looking into signing the other Dos Santos ...

... and Philly signs Jay Simpson from League 2, using Tam to do so.

A sad day. Almost as bad as the day Kevin Lisbie left :(

Still, at least he went to my US team so its not all bad. @Szumi Claus @Meacon treat him well

• Like 2