http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/17897476/yoenis-cespedes-new-york-mets-opt-475-million-left

Looks like Cespedes is opting out of his Mets contract after the WS ends, but the Mets are going to offer him a one year, $17 million deal after he opts out.

53 minutes ago, damshow said:

So he's opting out and the Mets are going to offer him less?

I'm sure he'll stick around.

That's the Qualifying Offer. They can still offer him more afterward, but they need to offer him the QO to get a draft pick if he leaves.

Well the $17 million is the qualifying offer.  It only makes sense to offer that as a formality.  He's not going to take it, but it'll give the Mets draft pick compensation if he leaves.

That being said, there is no excuse for the Mets to not re-sign him.  None.  It's fine to let him test the market as I'm not convinced other teams will offer him what he's looking for (supposedly something in the rang of 5 years, $125 million) but they clearly need him and he's been very open about wanting to stay.  He'll probably come back to the Mets with a chance to match before taking any offer, and they need to keep him.  Money can't be an excuse any more for this team, Sandy said payroll would go up when they're competitive and the fans are in the ballpark - well both of those things have happened.

Not re-signing him would have been like letting Mike Piazza walk in the 1998-99 offseason instead of signing him up for the long term.  And yes, he's that important to this team.  The numbers he's put up as a Met support it.

In more "I'm old" news, it blows my mind that it's already been 4 years since Cespedes debuted with the A's. That feels like an eternity ago.

Their talking about Curtis Granderson got me curious so I wiki'd him.

As a child, Granderson grew up a fan of the Atlanta Braves, choosing not to root for the hometown Chicago Cubs because he often rushed home from school to watch Saved by the Bell and was disappointed when a Cubs game was on instead.

EDIT: Oh my god the Bryant/Rizzo Blues Brothers spot is too good

Roberto Alomar should be invited on the field just to spit in Hirschbeck's face again.

Also, Francona with another quick hook on a starter. Works two ways. 1st if they can close it out in game 5 he has Tomlin on the ready for mop-up work, if he needs a game 6 starter he has Tomlin, and then of course there's game 7. Lot of options for him. Same goes for Maddon with Hendricks, but I've been really fascinated by Francona's strategy in particular.

11 minutes ago, The Handsome Luchadore said:

What section did y'all get @Fly the W!?

All I know is we are in the upper deck. I think he might be covering for the fact they are shitty seats. But I mean you would think by my reaction when he called that he would realize I don't care how awful they are as long as I am there :P 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Fly the W! said:

All I know is we are in the upper deck. I think he might be covering for the fact they are shitty seats. But I mean you would think by my reaction when he called that he would realize I don't care how awful they are as long as I am there :P 

My first Orioles playoff game our seats were at the very last row in the upper deck behind home plate.

Didn't matter.

• Like 2