MLB The Show - General Discussion

Meacon Keaton

I have been playing more DD and rtts the past day, won the first conquest board and got myself the Tim Tebow card (yay...). But it's a start!

Switched to Strike Zone 1 view, and it's a lot better than the default. The closer camera makes balls less crazy fast and makes it a lot easier to look off hopeless pitches (except ones down)

As such, more wins and better batting performances. My Small Ball 2B in rtts is even causing havoc for the AA Marlins club.

Also learned to time steals by timing my jump off the catcher setting himself, and the jump before you get is insane and I have to hold myself back to not steal two bases every time I get an ab.

Also figured the challenge stuff out and did a bunch of moments for packs. My DD bullpen is looking meaty with Darvish as my ace and two nasty relievers with smooth releases. (use pure analog for the pitching since it feels the best).

• Like 1

Won the World Series with the Blue Jays in 2021. Added Jameson Taillon in a trade and signed Alex Wood as a free agent to round out a rotation with Hyun-Jin Ryu, Ryan Borucki and Nate Pearson. Got Victor Reyes from the Tigers and Brandon Nimmo from the Mets, so they played CF and RF. The rest of the roster is in tact.

DH - Teoscar Hernandez
C - Reese McGuire/Danny Jansen (platoon)
1B - Travis Shaw
2B - Cavan Biggio
3B - Vladimir Guerrero Jr.
SS - Bo Bichette
LF - Lourdes Gurriel Jr.
CF - Victor Reyes
RF - Brandon Nimmo

Rotation: James Taillon, Hyun-Jin Ryu, Ryan Borucki, Alex Wood, Nate Pearson
Bullpen: Jose Leclerc, Alex Colome, Amir Garrett, Tim Mayza, Ryan Dull, Trent Thornton (and someone I'm forgetting)

Taillon was absolutely awful in the playoffs but everyone else played well. We beat the Angels in 4 games in the ALDS, the Twins in 7 games in the ALCS and swept the Braves in the World Series. Gurriel was the post season MVP while Teoscar was the World Series MVP, hitting 3 homers in 4 games. 

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Mx. Canadian Destroyer said:

Won the World Series with the Blue Jays in 2021. Added Jameson Taillon in a trade and signed Alex Wood as a free agent to round out a rotation with Hyun-Jin Ryu, Ryan Borucki and Nate Pearson. Got Victor Reyes from the Tigers and Brandon Nimmo from the Mets, so they played CF and RF. The rest of the roster is in tact.

DH - Teoscar Hernandez
C - Reese McGuire/Danny Jansen (platoon)
1B - Travis Shaw
2B - Cavan Biggio
3B - Vladimir Guerrero Jr.
SS - Bo Bichette
LF - Lourdes Gurriel Jr.
CF - Victor Reyes
RF - Brandon Nimmo

Rotation: James Taillon, Hyun-Jin Ryu, Ryan Borucki, Alex Wood, Nate Pearson
Bullpen: Jose Leclerc, Alex Colome, Amir Garrett, Tim Mayza, Ryan Dull, Trent Thornton (and someone I'm forgetting)

Taillon was absolutely awful in the playoffs but everyone else played well. We beat the Angels in 4 games in the ALDS, the Twins in 7 games in the ALCS and swept the Braves in the World Series. Gurriel was the post season MVP while Teoscar was the World Series MVP, hitting 3 homers in 4 games. 

Did you trade Grichuk? The last time I played as the Jays, over a full season he hit .199 and was just awful, but in any game I actually played he was great.

1 minute ago, Toe said:

Did you trade Grichuk? The last time I played as the Jays, over a full season he hit .199 and was just awful, but in any game I actually played he was great.

Yeah, that's how I got Reyes. He was playing terribly. I'm not sure why the Tigers took on his contract though. :P

Signed Puig in the first year, which is how I got Nimmo. Same thing, no reason for the Mets to take on Puig but I will take it.

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately with baseball unlikely to return the commentators have become degenerate roulette gamblers.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, 9 to 5 said:

Is MLB 20 worth 30 quid?

If you're going to be playing Diamond Dynasty, then definitely yes. If you are playing RTTS/Franchise only, it's a 'maybe' depending on how much you value surface changes.

For example, RTTS is almost largely the same beast as it has been for the past few years. The only notable change this year has been the addition of real minor league rosters, and you can replace pitches you don't like.

I personally got plenty of hours out of RTTS and MLB 20 this year. But YMMV, if you've not played MLB19 you might enjoy it better.

26 minutes ago, Mr. Meacon Moneybags said:

What did they change about Diamond Dynasty? I gave it a shot a week or so ago on The Show 19, and I won’t lie, opening packs and getting better players was kind of neat...

I think the only new mode to DD is 'Showdown', which allows you to draft a team and compete in PvP(?) games against others for prizes.

I must say I never played DD in 19, so my knowledge on the differences in that regard is small.

But I definitely enjoy the fact the game is giving me a card even if rookie AI in conquest puts me through the ringer. So you're never left with an empty hand, but iirc that was already there in previous games?

Edited by Jasonmufc

• 1 month later...

Went back-to-back with the Blue Jays. Most of the core returned, except for Travis Shaw who left in free agency. That set the stage for Rowdy to either make it or for Vlad to move to 1st. Rowdy ended up having a monster year, especially in the first half. Biggio also really broke out. We had Trent Thornton in the rotation to start the season, but I traded for Jack Flaherty (in his last year before free agency) and traded Thornton to Cleveland. Our roster for most of the season was:

DH - Teoscar Hernandez
C - Danny Jansen/Reese McGuire (platoon)
1B - Rowdy Tellez
2B - Cavan Biggio
SS - Bo Bichette
LF - Lourdes Gurriel Jr.
CF - Victor Reyes
RF - Brandon Nimmo

Bench - Greg Allen, Mitch Walding, Nathan Aldridge (2020 draft pick), Miguel Rojas

Greg Allen and Mitch Walding played pivotal roles down the stretch when Gurriel got injured as they subbed in at left or third, depending on the platoon. Vlad or Teo would either DH then. 

Rotation - Jameson Taillon, Jack Flaherty, Hyu-Jin Ryu, Ryan Borucki, Nate Pearson
Bullpen - Jose Leclerc, John Brebbia, Ryan Pressley (traded for in the Thornton trade), Dan Winkler (picked up on waivers from Cubs as he was having a dreadful season), Tim Mayza, AJ Minter and Joe Ross

We swept the Red Sox, who beat the Rays in the Wild Card game. 

Next, we paired up against the Astros. We took Games 1, 3 & 4 before finishing it off in Game 6. 

A World Series re-match was set up as we played the Braves once again. The Braves roster is quite stacked. Ozzie Albies, Ronald Acuna Jr., Freddie Freeman, Francisco Lindor, Adalberto Mondesi, Marcel Ozuna and Eduardo Escobar fill out their line-up and they ahd a deep bench with Swanson, Duvall, Posey and Flores. Mike Soroka and Folty make up a nice 1-2 punch and they round out their rotation nicely with Fried, NEwcomb and Daniel Norris. 

The Braves took the first two games as Flaherty and Ryu were both beat up pretty bad. Taillon had a good Game 3 and the offence came to life in Game 4 (scored 11 runs). The Braves took Game 5 after scoring 5 runs in the 6th after both Winkler and Mayza struggled. However, Flaherty threw 8 shutout innings before Leclerc saved the game in Game 6 to set up a Game 7. While Taillon gave up 3 runs in the first, we battled back and tied it up in the 2nd inning. Taiilon settled and made it through six before Brebbia, Pressley and Leclerc finished the game. In the 4th, Vlad hit a solo shot. In the 5th inning, a struggling Rowdy came up big with a 2-run homer. Teoscar hit his 1st homer of the post-season in the 8th inning to put us by 4 runs. The Jays win their 4th World Series Championship in front of their home fans. Somehow, Greg Allen was named World Series MVP with Brandon Nimmo being named Post Season MVP. 

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I need some help. I'm way over budget and am losing money every week. What happens when my back runs out? I can't have this franchise end but I'm really not wanting to trade all my amazing players either. I already traded Trout back to the Pirates yet again and am still bleeding cash :( I suppose I'd trade anyone but Harper, Rizzo or Carlos Carasco (He's my Ace 99 overall) but it would be a bummer now that I got such a kick ass squad together

Total Payroll: 327.77M

Projected Revenue: 282M :( 

Rotation:

Carlos Carrasco: 31M 1/5
Sean Manaea: 21M 1/5
Jon Gray: 7.5M 2/4

Gerrit Cole: 18.3M 1/6
Kyle Hendricks: 6.7M 2/5

Starting Lineup:

Starling Marte: 7.3M 2/2
Xander Bogaerts: 27M 1/5
Bryce Harper: 31M 1/5
Kris Bryant: 13.9M 2/4
Anthony Rizzo: 31M 1/5
Kyle Schwarber: 5.1M 2/5
Javy Baez: 16M 2/5
Willson Contreras: 9.4M 1/1

• 1 month later...

The Show 20 is on sale for Black Friday, so I picked it up finally.

How does someone go about creating teams prior to starting a franchise? I'd like to do a 30 team franchise with all created teams, but I don't want to have to build all 30 teams at once. There's got to be a way to pre-create them before jumping in.

I'm going to have the National League all replaced with Canadian teams. 3 of them will have to be province-based (BC, Alberta and Saskatchewan), but there are 12 Canadian cities in the name database, so that makes up all 15. An NL West of BC, Vancouver, Alberta, Calgary and Edmonton is going to be fun.