MLB The Show - General Discussion

Meacon Keaton

5 minutes ago, CLDY said:

That sucks. I was hoping to pick this up at some point but now I guess not. 

Counter point, I'm playing on Game Pass and whilst I suck (given I know nothing about baseball or this game) I haven't noticed any major performance issues on XBOne.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've never really touched scouting in franchise mode until this year and I really like it.  Easy to understand and use, really nice to broaden the amount of well scouted prospects you get in the draft.

I'm downloading the game as I type. Hopefully it runs OK on my old-ass XB1. I'll check out Franchise and get back to you, @Bobfoc

I've got something like 23% of it downloaded, playing the little demo game or whatever it is that you can play while it downloads? It's Dodgers vs. Rays. Managed to let a run score on me in the first inning, but first batter up for me (Betts) nailed a first-pitch homer to tie us 1-1.

So far it's not smooth, but it's not unplayable or anything. I imagine once I have more of the game installed etc. it'll be fine.

EDIT: Lost 7-2. Got jammed up with a 2 runners on in scoring position situation, then someone on the Rays smanged a homer and that was that. Managed to get my 2nd run off a Bellinger HR.

15 hours ago, Your Mom said:

How do I extend Rizzo and Bryant? I can't find the option anywhere

Contract Extensions can only be done during Spring Training and in the pre-deadline period. Usually starts a couple days after the all-star game.

12 hours ago, Bobfoc said:

How easy to play is Franchise Mode for someone who doesn't know much about the management side of baseball? Obviously, it won't be as in-depth as OOTP, but is the contract and roster management stuff easy enough to understand?

If you get MLB 21, you should be okay. The only really confusing piece from last year's game is that the budgets are done weekly, which makes it very difficult to figure out what you actually have to work with for salary. This year, they moved back to the annual budget number.

In regards to the other management aspects, the game includes a little handbook that details all the important dates and what everything means. In the franchise menu, you can access that and have a look through to learn the in's and out's of the managerial side of the game.

Edited by Gabriel
  • Thanks 2

And here I was just makin' boner jokes. Shame on me.

Anyway, played some RTTS last night. I'm playing with the Tennessee Smokies, primarily as a 1B, but with some spot relief pitching. After I specified that I'd rather my balance be mostly fielding/hitting and not pitching, I haven't had a relief appearance. My 1 start, though, I struck out 5 in 7 innings and got a No Decision because the guy brought in after me blew it.

Pre-loading throws still confuses me.

So, two things...

when I'm pitching, is the glove that pops up in the strike zone where I'm supposed to be throwing the ball?

and, also, when pitching -- the more the controller rumbles, what does that mean? 

I'm having fun with this game so far. Haven't done much Franchise mode, but I'm in August in my RTTS career still playing for the Smokies and hitting like garbage. Speaking of hitting like garbage, any tips on... not? :P

2 minutes ago, CLDY said:

So, two things...

when I'm pitching, is the glove that pops up in the strike zone where I'm supposed to be throwing the ball?

and, also, when pitching -- the more the controller rumbles, what does that mean? 

Yep, that glove is a feature that you can turn on/off - that's where your catcher is calling for the pitch. It's usually safe to stick with - you can even tell which pitch he's calling for either by the number of fingers he shows or the one that highlights.

Dunno about rumble, I've noticed it myself. It's either highlighting a cold or hot zone or showing when you're close to leaving the strike zone... I think.

1 minute ago, apsham said:

Yep, that glove is a feature that you can turn on/off - that's where your catcher is calling for the pitch. It's usually safe to stick with - you can even tell which pitch he's calling for either by the number of fingers he shows or the one that highlights.

Dunno about rumble, I've noticed it myself. It's either highlighting a cold or hot zone or showing when you're close to leaving the strike zone... I think.

I've noticed that sometimes there's overlap with the glove and the rumbling so I was wondering if maybe it's like "hey THIS is a great place to throw the pitch" or something. Idk.

The rumbling is the strike zone and the strength of the rumble let's you know how out of the strike zone you are. When it first starts to rumble that's "painting the corners" whereas when it rumbles hard you're out of the strike zone completely 

• Like 1

Ohhhh, good to know.

Just did my first year as the Cubs in Franchise Mode. I picked up some outfielders and starters to try and bolster the roster a little bit, and we wound up winning the NL Central but falling to the Mets in the playoffs. The Mets went on to beat the Twins to win the 2021 World Series. I'm sure @Buschie Kay was there. 

I also signed most of my star players (Bryant, Rizzo, Baez etc.) to contract extensions. Signed some prospects with decent potential. 2022's going to be a weirder year for my Cubs, because we're going to have Joey Gallo in the outfield and Arrieta and Hendricks may be the only starters returning for the season. Might be a rebuilding year?