MLB The Show - General Discussion

Meacon Keaton

7 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

That works I guess. What's the worst team? I really want to start from the bottom :P 

Baltimore's pretty shit, and the division will be tough. Or, just go through the team select and pick the team with the lowest budget. That's always fun.

• 2 weeks later...

Playing as the Blue Jays. In the middle of September, up 4.5 games on the Yankees for the AL East. Playing the Rays.

I am winning 3-2 in the bottom of the 8th. Bring in Romano who gives up a double. Get 2 outs. Give up what looks like a home run but it looks potentially catchable. Miss it but I think it's gone. Runner of 2nd scores and by the time I realize the ball is in play, Meadows is running around 3rd base. Inside the park home run because I just gave up on the ball. <_<

• 4 months later...

I am into Season 6 of my full-relocation fantasy draft franchise from MLB 20.

The World Series winners have come from the west coast all five seasons thus far. The Richmond Impact, Seattle Thunder and Portland Pioneers have all won the trophy so far. The Los Angeles Buccaneers are the first two-time champs, having won the league in year 1 and 5.

This is a 30-team control franchise, and I'm playing games at random to ensure no bias toward any one team.

I've got rules I use for contract extensions, free agency and who each team may feel is expendable for trades... and it's been pretty solid. It's playing out like I hoped it would, with the great teams tending to stay at the top and the struggling franchises having a hard time getting out of the cellar.

I also have a rule that award winners become unmovable. So they won't be traded and they will always be offered a new contract by their team. The only time I let that slide is if a team finishes dead last in the league and has guys with these "no movement clauses". I will allow that team to deal their superstars in exchange for future assets in the off-season only.

Because of that rule, the Erie Otters were powerhouses in the first two years of my franchise. Now they're trying desperately to hang in the playoff picture past the all-star break because there are only 3 regular lineup spots that aren't spoken for by the Unmovable's. Of course, they aren't bad enough to tank, but it's been a challenge to supplement their lineup with quality players when the majority of their payroll is eaten up by guys who are delivering severely diminishing returns.

Once those guys start retiring, or the Otters stink it up and finish last, they'll probably see a quick turn-around... because they'll have money to be aggressive in free agency, and there are a lot of young prospects in their pipeline who are being blocked by the Unmovable's.

• 2 months later...
23 minutes ago, Ruki Returns said:

The Show 2022 coming day 1 to gamepass. 

Well, ain't that some shit.

The Show 21 going to Gamepass was a slap in the face to Sony players, but at least they could justify it because it was the first year ever on Xbox.

If The Show 22 is available through Gamepass, Sony is going to need to step it up and include it in their rumored revamp of PS Plus/PS Now or just make it a straight up free game through Plus at launch. The Show players who are on the fence about what new system to buy will likely take the Xbox route if Sony doesn't do something here. I myself have been unable to get a new console yet, and I know that I'd be more inclined to pick up an Xbox now knowing that Gamepass has all that other stuff, and can save me another $80 for The Show.

It's also coming to Switch, and not as a cloud version. I'm intrigued as to how well they can get a version running in a playable state. If they strip down the graphics enough, it ought to be possible, but I hope it won't become a WWE 2k18-style mess. I remember some of the older versions being on the Vita, but they took out RTTS.

It's a bit rubbish that there still isn't a PC version.

• 1 month later...

Last year, they made some minor under the hood adjustments to franchise mode, added depth charts, tweaked logic etc.  It was the first time franchise mode had been upgraded in a while and it led to hope that 22 would see more enhancements.

Instead, for the first time ever, franchise isn't even included in Sony's weekly streaming schedule discussing new features.  Franchise isn't even mentioned in the branding at all.  It's lead to speculation that the mode is either A) back to being completely untouched or B) being merged together with the "March to October" mode much like how EA killed franchise and turned it all into connected careers.

Remains to be seen...the OS community is like 90% franchise players and constantly making suggestions for franchise upgrades.  The prevailing thought has long been that just like all other sports games, the developers have long stopped caring about modes that can't be monetized.

In all likelihood this is gonna be 2nd straight skip year for me.

The real crap thing about devs looking at offline modes as not being money-makers is that there are absolutely ways to make them such.

Give us classic stadium DLC, additional uniforms we can add or something of the sort. Franchise players are willing to spend money. It's not like people play offline modes because they are too poor to keep up with the online modes. We just don't want to play online, and/or we want to run our teams.

More than that, if they're going to ignore franchise, make everything customizable.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...