MLB The Show - General Discussion

Meacon Keaton

Finally made it to the bigs in my RTTS. 2025 season. The cubs have Trea Turner and Trevor Story in their infield, as well as a (declining) KB, and I guess something happened to their 1B to have them call me up (Rizzo, last I saw, was with the Twins). 

EDIT: Alfonso Rivas is their usual starting 1B and he's on the decline, so they sent him to AAA it seems.

I am into year 3 of my 30-team control franchise in MLB 20 and am absolutely loving it.

Year 1, the Los Angeles Buccaneers win the World Series over the Richmond Impact in six games. Year 2, the Bucks are fighting for their playoff lives right down to the wire... but the World Series ends up being the same two teams. This time, the Impact win it in five. Both teams are positioned well to keep rolling, but the AL West is super tight, so LA could fall off. Meanwhile, Richmond's biggest threat are the rebuilding Vancouver Beavers, who have some really good players on cheap deals thanks to unloading at the deadline, and managed to pick up some nice free agents with the money they had to play with.

The biggest issue that I have with 30-team is that you can't set and play with your minor league lineups when their seasons aren't active... so at the beginning of each year, I have to go through and set the lineups for 60 minor league teams.

I'd like to see them change that. Let me adjust the minor league lineups and rotations at all times. Also, during Spring Training, guys who are on your minor league teams should still be listed there unless you officially call them up. The way it works right now just screws up your lineups. It's time consuming.

Is anyone else too sentimental I guess would be the right word? Like I am approaching the trade deadline and there are some perfectly great trades to be had. Now these trades also include all my good prospects but I could basically have

Juan Soto for Joc Pederson

Mike Trout for Ian Happ

Shohei Otani or Degrom for Jake Arrieta

Seems a no brainer right? But I mean those are my dudes and all doing good for me. Happ is even in the lead for MVP right now. I should just do the trades though right? They all really improve my team even though they gut my farm system

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Your Mom said:

Is anyone else too sentimental I guess would be the right word? Like I am approaching the trade deadline and there are some perfectly great trades to be had. Now these trades also include all my good prospects but I could basically have

Mike Trout for Ian Happ

Seems a no brainer right? But I mean those are my dudes and all doing good for me. Happ is even in the lead for MVP right now. I should just do the trades though right? They all really improve my team even though they gut my farm system

If you have guys who are performing for you, I would typically try to hold onto them. I've traded away everyday players for the stars in the past and regretted it instantly when the supposedly better player ends up not providing the same output as the guys I let go.

I typically, in a single team franchise, will have a list of guys that I am willing to move based on performance, budget and the depth chart. I do my best not to deviate from that list when I'm making additions to my team via trade.

• Thanks 1

Having got the game on my PS4 and watched my brother play on his XBOX some more, I now notice some of the frame rate issues people were talking about on the XBOX. Sometimes it will stutter just as the ball is being pitched, making hitting more difficult.

On a better note - I've noticed that I just crush sinkerball pitchers in this version of the game. Even with a terrible line-up like the Pirates, I am able to hit a ton of extra base hits. It doesn't matter if the pitcher is one of the best in the league or a terrible long reliever - if they throw a lot of sinkers, I'll score double digit runs every time. 

Edited by Toe

17 hours ago, Your Mom said:

Mike Trout for Ian Happ

Oh I am 100% this type of player - I feel very loyal to players who have been with the team for an extended period and am loathe to get rid of them

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Toe said:

Having got the game on my PS4 and watched my brother play on his XBOX some more, I now notice some of the frame rate issues people were talking about on the XBOX. Sometimes it will stutter just as the ball is being pitched, making hitting more difficult.

On a better note - I've noticed that I just crush sinkerball pitchers in this version of the game. Even with a terrible line-up like the Pirates, I am able to hit a ton of extra base hits. It doesn't matter if the pitcher is one of the best in the league or a terrible long reliever - if they throw a lot of sinkers, I'll score double digit runs every time. 

I haven't noticed that on Xbox, but I have noticed a bit of lag and longer load times. Probably associated with the fact that my Xbox One is like a 1st or 2nd gen version.

Same thing with sinkers though. In RTTS I whiff at everything except sinkers and 4-seamers.

I may have to make a bunch of changes to my roster anyway. It's time for extensions and Rizzo and Bryant both want more to sign with me than it says they want and Willson Contreras wants 30.1 million a season! :lol: I don't care how much I like him that is just ridiculous

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Your Mom said:

I may have to make a bunch of changes to my roster anyway. It's time for extensions and Rizzo and Bryant both want more to sign with me than it says they want and Willson Contreras wants 30.1 million a season! :lol: I don't care how much I like him that is just ridiculous

You can usually keep most of your actual free agents by making sure to enable the contract renewals on younger guys, and playing hardball through arbitration with the arb eligible players.

It's amazing how much money you can save by being a dick to your players until they absolutely must make the big bucks.

• Thanks 1

On 28/05/2021 at 13:22, Your Mom said:

Do they still have the thing where you can buy more budget for your franchise with stubs? Because I have like 30K of them and I don't play the card game

They don't :( 

I made a bunch of trades and then saved real quick so I couldn't go back and change my mind which I do a lot :P Anyway say hello to new Cubs

Ronald Acuna Jr.
Shohei Otani
Wander Franco
Casey Mize
Jasson Dominguez

And the top 3 SP prospects
MacKenzie Gore
Matthew Thompson
Hunter Greene

And bid a fond farewell to:
Zack Davies
Eloy Jimenez
Jake Marisnick
Ryan Tepera
Claude Wiles
Pedro Strop
Alejandro Zepeda
Landon Corona
Austin Romine
Patrick Wisdom :( 

Cameron Maybin
Christopher Morel
Alfonso Rivas
Francisco Mota
Eric Sogard
Cory Abbott
Jonathan Holder
Wade Wright
Miguel Amaya

and

Jake Arrieta :crying:

Also I don't think I understand how the business of Baseball works. I had 20 million left for contract extensions and traded away more salary than I took on but somehow that 20 million is gone now? 😕

So I started playing The Show '19, because it was a free PS+ game at one point and I downloaded it.

So far, in AA, me (as a pitcher) has given up 1 run on 4 hits...in 6 games.  I even had a perfect game.  After the perfect game, my coach said they were disappointed with my performance and they moved me to a closer for 3 games, so I also have 3 saves. 

Think I need to check the difficulty and maybe bump it up a bit..

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Also, I dunno if this carried over into later versions, but sometimes in The Show 19, a catchers mitt will appear in or around the strike zone when I'm pitching.  What does that mean?  Should I pitch to that location?

1 hour ago, Lint said:

Also, I dunno if this carried over into later versions, but sometimes in The Show 19, a catchers mitt will appear in or around the strike zone when I'm pitching.  What does that mean?  Should I pitch to that location?

Below a certain difficulty level the game will give you hints as to what pitch/place location you should throw to. You can follow it, or you can just do your own thing.

Can use it for the time being until you're more comfortable, but if you have a good idea on how/what to pitch in specific situations, then you're better off pitching your own routines. The AI catcher won't bobble a ball if you aim it anywhere else (unless you chuck a slider towards the home dugout)