Sky Bet EFL 2017/18

Lineker

Paul hurst is excellent, the fans at Grimsby got on his back, but he made us consistently a really good team and got us promoted.  He proved his skills at Shrewsbury saving them from relegation one season and getting them to the playoff final the next.  I hope is a success at Ipswich and can prove young, English managers can be a success.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Rich said:

Paul hurst is excellent, the fans at Grimsby got on his back, but he made us consistently a really good team and got us promoted.  He proved his skills at Shrewsbury saving them from relegation one season and getting them to the playoff final the next.  I hope is a success at Ipswich and can prove young, English managers can be a success.

It was incredible seeing Shrewsbury play West Ham in the FA Cup how much tactically they resembled Grimsby in the National League - defensively minded but rock solid. Not the most attractive football but one that gets results. With the proper resources, which I assume he got at Shrewsbury compared to Grimsby, his teams are very difficult to beat. He's also very loyal so I wouldn't be surprised if Toto Nsiala, John Lewis and Jon Nolan jump ship too. This could be an amazing acquisition by Ipswich.

40 minutes ago, GA! said:

It was incredible seeing Shrewsbury play West Ham in the FA Cup how much tactically they resembled Grimsby in the National League - defensively minded but rock solid. Not the most attractive football but one that gets results. With the proper resources, which I assume he got at Shrewsbury compared to Grimsby, his teams are very difficult to beat. He's also very loyal so I wouldn't be surprised if Toto Nsiala, John Lewis and Jon Nolan jump ship too. This could be an amazing acquisition by Ipswich.

Thing is, he had one of the smallest budgets in the league at Shrewsbury and still nearly got them into the Championship. He's clearly got something that can make him a success at this level.

Shrewsbury have appointed Macclesfield boss John Askey as their new manager, bit of a weird one for me. From what I can tell Askey has been at Macc for 34 years and has just got them back into the Football League but he's moving on.

4 hours ago, Adam es Tranquilo said:

Shrewsbury have appointed Macclesfield boss John Askey as their new manager, bit of a weird one for me. From what I can tell Askey has been at Macc for 34 years and has just got them back into the Football League but he's moving on.

John Askey was meant to be the new Grimsby manager, but when Macclesfield thumped Tranmere 4-1 the night before the scheduled press conference he changed his mind. Shrewsbury is a bit of a further leap up tbf.

48 minutes ago, GA! said:

John Askey was meant to be the new Grimsby manager, but when Macclesfield thumped Tranmere 4-1 the night before the scheduled press conference he changed his mind. Shrewsbury is a bit of a further leap up tbf.

I guess he Askey lot of his players?

• Like 1

Darren Ferguson has resigned. Thanks to @Lineker for the heads up cos I'd probably not have checked until the morning otherwise.

So he's either walked because we aren't giving him a good enough budget, he's walked because he's been offered a better deal elsewhere, or the board have not bothered giving him any incentive to stay because they've lost faith in him. Any one of those three scenarios are possible.

I'm not particularly sad he's gone but I am concerned about our immediate prospects and I am more than a bit annoyed that we are facing yet another period of upheaval after finally getting on some stable footing after a very tumultuous 6 years or so. Everything has been moving in the right direction and Fergie has been at the heart of that so now it's back to square one again.

I was surprised to see him go because, as you suggested, keeping him on after relegation to League Two paid off and gave the club some stability. I don't know a great deal about the inner runnings of the club, but it sounds as if something significant has gone wrong between the two parties.

I see that Grant McCann is the bookmakers' favourite to replace him, followed by Uwe Rosler, Mark Warburton, Paul Heckingbottom and Stuart McCall. Neil Redfearn and Simon Grayson are also being mentioned, possibly because they're just spouting names of managers who left clubs in the local-ish area fairly recently.