Sky Bet EFL 2017/18

Lineker

5 hours ago, Bobfoc said:

I was surprised to see him go because, as you suggested, keeping him on after relegation to League Two paid off and gave the club some stability. I don't know a great deal about the inner runnings of the club, but it sounds as if something significant has gone wrong between the two parties.

I see that Grant McCann is the bookmakers' favourite to replace him, followed by Uwe Rosler, Mark Warburton, Paul Heckingbottom and Stuart McCall. Neil Redfearn and Simon Grayson are also being mentioned, possibly because they're just spouting names of managers who left clubs in the local-ish area fairly recently.

McCall has now moved to favourite, and of all the ones mentioned he's in my personal top two along with Simon Grayson, who has very good pedigree at this level and his career #2 is club legend Glyn Snodin.

Neil Redfearn is actually Doncaster Rovers Belles manager at the moment so I doubt he'll be the one to come in.

In terms of our club behind the scenes we are financially stable and moving in the right direction in all areas, and I can't lie Fergie has had a hand in most of that. But there's seemingly a difference of opinion in how much money it's going to take to move us to the next level. I just hope we don't mess around and get a new manager in within a week or else we'll be playing catch-up for the rest of the summer.

21 hours ago, Cymbols said:

Well aren’t we just in a spot of bother.

Are Villa's problems down to making such a big push for promotion in terms of spending big in the first season in the Championship and i imagine there being a high wage bill, failing at the final hurdle has left them in the situation they are now facing or does it go further back to the final few seasons in the Prem?

As I understand it, they've been losing £5-6m a month in the Championship and Xia has been propping that up by sending money over from China each month. The first scheduled payment after the Playoff final hasn't appeared and doesn't look like it will do anytime soon and Villa have another scheduled payment to HMRC later this month that at the moment, they can't afford to pay.

There's also the small matter of the budget for this season being £100m less than required, so even if Dr. Xia was to put in the £90m he's allowed to per season under FFP, they'd still need to sell some assets and / or drastically reduce the wage bill.

Is the lack of payment from Xia due to possible financial difficulties for him/his company or him deciding "fuck this noise"?

Either way as a blues fan it'll be nice to have Villa spending more time at our end of the table next season (even if they get new owners during the season they'll still need to slash the squad and need a season or two at least to rebuild)

8 hours ago, DMo Salah said:

Are Villa's problems down to making such a big push for promotion in terms of spending big in the first season in the Championship and i imagine there being a high wage bill, failing at the final hurdle has left them in the situation they are now facing or does it go further back to the final few seasons in the Prem?

Problem seems to start with the Chinese government placing restrictions on businessmen moving money out of the country - including our Dr Tony.

Thing is, he's known this for a while, and the club took advance payment of fees, albeit at a reduction on the likes of Westwood, Carlos Sanchez etc just to bankroll the club the last couple of months. Stubbornly, instead of addressing this issue at the time, looks like the club gambled on promotion solving the problem. Obviously that didn't pay off. 

Sounds like we've taken out a loan this month, to pay the bills. No idea how we'll pay next month, and it has also been alleged that we've put Villa Park up as collateral. 

Read a lot of things from a lot of places last couple days, think this one explains it best.

So many clubs do not learn from this strategy, betting the house on getting straight back up (or near enough) and failing, then finding themselves in the shit. Hull did it the first time and ended up in a state, think QPR did the same. Look at clubs like Wigan, Blackburn and Bolton too.

Newcastle got away with it big time last year. Villa best be careful not to go the other way.

3 minutes ago, Adam es Tranquilo said:

So many clubs do not learn from this strategy, betting the house on getting straight back up (or near enough) and failing, then finding themselves in the shit. Hull did it the first time and ended up in a state, think QPR did the same. Look at clubs like Wigan, Blackburn and Bolton too.

Newcastle got away with it big time last year. Villa best be careful not to go the other way.

To be fair to Newcastle, thanks to Gini and Sissokho, they spent within their means. We did not.

45 minutes ago, Cymbols said:

To be fair to Newcastle, thanks to Gini and Sissokho, they spent within their means. We did not.

I wouldn't say they did, their wage bill was double the combined wage bill of Brighton & Huddersfield who went up with them apparently. Either way it paid off most likely thanks to keeping Benitez and a damn good squad. It hasn't quite gone the same way for Villa.

But the net spend! Oh, the net spend. 

Please note. I'm being sarcastic and net spend is the worst term to enter the football fan lexicon in the last 30 years. Even worse than "stonewall penalty". 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Colly said:

I've only ever seen that here so I dismiss it. I actually have a word filter set up in my browser. 

So it goes something like...

Looks like they could really pull off a THAT TWAT LINEKER HAS SAID IT AGAIN! today.

?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, MDK said:

I can't stand xG

Yeah I find that really pointless. Every match except that bizarre Arsenal v Man Utd game last season seemed to have xG of less than 1.5 goals each side. Just seems irrelevant.

5 hours ago, Baddar said:

So it goes something like...

Looks like they could really pull off a THAT TWAT LINEKER HAS SAID IT AGAIN! today.

?

It's less polite than that. 

Bielsa in the Championship is gonna either be an amazing coup or a glorious train wreck. Either way it'll be interesting to see!