The 2013 Music Thread

Jimmy

Why does Elizabeth Mitchell play basically all-day long on Sunday?

There's a small tent in the corner by the bay and Beer Island* which is the kiddie space. There's like kid stuff to do, and Elizabeth Mitchell apparently gets paid a bunch to sing children's music all day long over there.

* = "Beer Island" is actually a peninsula, one of the few places at the venue where you can drink.

New David Lynch album is pretty :wub:

Really looking forward to giving that a listen this weekend - the song with Lykke Li is amazing, makes me wish it could be the theme for a new Twin Peaks.

I bought Hokey Fright by The Uncluded (Aesop Rock/Kimya Dawson) today. It's got a kind of awkward quality about it, and I swear I don't like some of the songs, but it hasn't stopped me listening through several times today. Can't decide if it's really good, or I just appreciate something different coming out.

On a scale of 1 to 10, how much better is it than his last album? Because that was shit.

If you want a reverb-heavy album to groove to, go with Jim James' "Regions of Light & Sound of God" instead. This just kinda meanders in his dreamy, mid-tempo realm with a Dylan cover thrown in. His vocals are a hoot, though. Somewhere between Dylan and that old guy who can't stop yellin' 'bout Obama'a mama.

Edit: Whoops, forgot the numbers. Lynch's album would be a 4. James' would be about a 9.

I don't like David Lynch's new one nearly as much as the last one. It's a little too dirge-y and electronic, whereas the last one had a few of the beefy riffs I liked from his other musical excursions still buried in the mix somewhere. Still love his singing voice, though.

The song with Lykke Li is absolutely brilliant, though, and with a little more Badalamenti-esque production could have seen it as a theme to a new season of Twin Peaks.

Other stuff I've picked up recently...undecided on the new The Boy Least Likely To, as it seems to lack the charm of the first two. Similar story with the new CocoRosie. New Camera Obscura and Pastels are great, with Camera Obscura in particular having a couple of stand-out tracks, but nothing that's reinventing the wheel. New Kurt Vile is nice, but a similar story.

Finally got round to properly listening to new Queens Of The Stone Age, and I love it.

I still have the new Duckworth Lewis Method, Pet Shop Boys, and Mark Lanegan & Duke Garwood to go. What I've heard of Duckworth Lewis Method is good enough so far, while the one Pet Shop Boys track I've heard is awful and really trying too hard, so hoping the rest is better.

Oh, also the reissue of Hawkwind's "Warrior On The Edge Of Time", which has always been a bit of a guilty pleasure of mine, with remastering by Steven Wilson. Curious about that one.

Love that track with Lykke.

As far as the new Pet Shop Boys album, I'll say it compares well with the new Daft Punk in that each show their respective footprint in dance's timeline. PSB is solid modern dance music, whereas Daft Punk looks back to the 70s and forward to what (we can all hope) dance music will be.

As far as the new Pet Shop Boys album, I'll say it compares well with the new Daft Punk in that each show their respective footprint in dance's timeline. PSB is solid modern dance music, whereas Daft Punk looks back to the 70s and forward to what (we can all hope) dance music will be.

I agree with you on Daft Punk, and I think it's very much a conscious effort on their part. The Pet Shop Boys album, though, is very much "well, of course this is what a Pet Shop Boys album would sound like in 2013".

That said, "Love Is A Bourgeois Construct" is fucking brilliant.

Not sure on new Duckworth Lewis Method yet. It's not as charming as the first one, and doesn't feel as spontaneous. The first one just felt like typical eccentric Neil Hannon behaviour to record an album about cricket, whereas this one feels a lot more contrived. There's less overt Hannon influence in there.

• Like 1

I bought Hokey Fright by The Uncluded (Aesop Rock/Kimya Dawson) today. It's got a kind of awkward quality about it, and I swear I don't like some of the songs, but it hasn't stopped me listening through several times today. Can't decide if it's really good, or I just appreciate something different coming out.

It's really good.

Got a listen of John Frusciante's new EP today. Probably the weirdest record I've heard in the calendar year because it's a lot of fusion of his guitar style with synthesizers and orchestral elements and weird lofi techno sounds. I'm not even sure yet if I like it or not, but it's interesting and really out there.