The Anime Thread

Ruki

1 hour ago, Cloudy said:

Has anyone seen Kiss Him, Not Me? It's about a girl who is an avid manga/anime/yaoi fan who ships two of her classmates. Her favorite anime character dies and she loses weight from the stress of it (...), becoming attractive (...) in the process.

It seems like an out-there premise, but it's a comedy/romance show with a pervy bent. 

6ecf1a5cf9ad3ac11639dba5a1ed487ff8f7999d71ac8e8985b6a6c93be30ea6.jpg

Might have to check that out :shifty: . 

• 2 weeks later...

I started watching March Comes In Like A Lion this morning. I like it so far, there's only been 7 episodes (of a 22 episode order), and it's by the same woman who did the Honey & Clover manga. It follows the life of a 17-year-old professional shogi (Japanese chess, think) player named Rei and his relationship with 3 sisters, Akari (an adult), Hina (a middle schooler), and Momo (a preschooler). So far it seems like a pretty solid slice of life type drama.

@GoGo Yubari @damshow @Ruki apparently there's going to be a Code Geass season 3? WTF? 

How would that even work given the ending of S2?

Either way, my expectations are low, but if it's even half as insane as S2 was, I'll be happy.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I don't know if anyone here is a fan of Digimon but in 2015 Digimon celebrated it's 15th anniversary. To celebrate Toei Animation kicked off a 6-part movie series that acts as a direct sequel to Digimon Adventure 01 and Digimon Adventure 02. They've just released the 4th movie. So far it has been enjoyable but I have a few problems:

Spoiler

First Of All It took some time getting used to the animation style. They're obviously going for something more simplistic and less flashy than the anime. But other than their hairstyles that also makes them look somewhat generic and same-y.

Then there is Tai's character arc in the first movie. He is portrayed as having the most trouble with moving on from being a digidestined and living a normal life out of the crew. He has no idea what to do with his life and he constantly tries to get the band back together but fails because they have all moved on with their lives. And when the Digimon start showing up again and the bands is brought back together he can't even enjoy it as he just now realizes that his actions have consequences and that people might get hurt when Digimon fight in the real world. He and Matt basically switch roles as now Tai goes all Emo while Matt is the hotheaded one trying to rush into battle. And i have to say I sympathize with Matt. So Tai only now realized that people might get hurt? The Myotismon arc of Digimon Adventure 01 took place in the real world and a big part of Adventure 02 as well. He should already know that there are certain risks involved with being a digidestined! And guess what? Even if their is the chance of people getting hurt, if you don't fight the corrupted Digimon running riot in the real world EVEN MORE PEOPLE WILL DEFINITELY GET HURT! Every time I see him in the first movie I just want to slap him and tell him to get over himself.

And finally we are 4 movies into a 6 movie series that is marketed as a sequel to Digimon Adventure 01 and Adventure 02 but none of the digidestined introduced in 02 have shown up yet. Davis, Yolei and Cody are nowhere to be seen. In Movie 2 (or Movie 3, I'm not quite sure which) we learn that they are all missing. But as of movie 4 they haven't followed up on that plot line at all. Nobody seems to care too much about their disappearance. Ken showed up as his evil alter ego the Digimon Emperor and it looked like he was behind all the recent happenings but that was a fake-out as it was revealed in the latest movie that the real antagonist was just using Ken's Digimon Emperor alter ego as an avatar. Other than that the only link that the movies have to Adventure 02 is the special digivices that Kari and TK get in the beginning of Adventure 02. Seems like the writers of the show don't really care all that much for Adventure 02. That vexes me. I know Adventure 02 wasn't as well received as the original series. But they announced this as a sequel to both series and if they are just going to ignore Adventure 02 I would prefer it if they were upfront about that.

But other than that it has all been rather enjoyable.

• 1 month later...

Attack on Titan season 2 premiered yesterday!

Thoughts:

Spoiler

Titans have breached Wall Rose, and this new "Beast Titan" can speak, and seems to be intelligent. And interested in the omni-directional gear. 

Also, Mike :( I liked him.

Crazy to think that it's been 4 years since season 1.

• Like 1

On 2-4-2017 at 19:56, Broken Cloudy said:

Attack on Titan season 2 premiered yesterday!

Thoughts:

Reveal hidden contents

Crazy to think that it's been 4 years since season 1.

Have to check it out! 

Also anyone checked out Boruto's first episode?

Sooo Boruto is the opposite of Naruto and some kind of child prodigy? Already knowing the Shadow Clone Jutsu before even attending the academy, I also like the guy who wants to combine ninjustu with mechanic stuff and the beginning looked promising, hopefully it won't be filler city.

On 3/29/2017 at 03:54, LarsLars said:

So I've seen DBZ a couple of times and I thought well, before I start watching Dragon Ball Super, lets watch Dragon Ball.

So far I like it, I'm 5 episodes in but will Goku be slapping everyone in the crotch during the whole series? 

That will occur a few times, yes. Also you'll be getting a few eyefulls of little boy Goku's junk. Get used to Goku's DB personality because that's how he is in DBS.

• 3 weeks later...

Just watched the newest Dragon Ball Super

Spoiler

So happy with this. Gohan has his power back! I hope they make him the strongest again.

• Like 1

I really want to like Fukumenkei Noise, but something about the art style is throwing me off. Namely, the characters just look.. I dunno. Something about the way they draw people in this show is putting me off. Everything else looks like any other anime, but Yuku, Alice, and the other characters - there's just something weird about how they're animated. It's like they don't belong.

I'm only on episode 1, though, and I'm a sucker for anime about music, so I might stick with it anyway.

0y46yccqgjwy.jpg

All hail King Piccolo.

Attack On Titan's latest episode:

Spoiler

Reiner and Bertholt being Titans wasn't as surprising to me because I keep up with the manga, but man, still a good episode. I feel like regardless of whether or not people keep up with the manga, they should have connected Reiner and the Armored Titan already anyway, because the Armored Titan even looks like Reiner.

I actually like that I didn't even bother to look into One Punch Man because I was tired of the idea of shows where the main character is some undefeatable badass who follows the same tropey junk over and over again when it comes to challenges.