UFC News and Discussion Thread

He is being held in county jail until he has a hearing which will be mid-September time.

He has a history of drug and drink problems from a few years ago, reports (which I believe are un-substantiated as he has only been charged with the driving with a suspended license as far as I have seen) are that he had several items of drug paraphernalia with him in the car.

I like Uncle Creepy, I hope he sorts it all out as he could genuinely be one of the most entertaining lighter-weight fighters in the UFC.

Oh that's horrible. I read a few months back about his previous issues and he seemed to have gotten his head on straight and had put it all behind him. I'm hoping it does just end up being bollocks and just rumour mongering because of his past.

UFC 151 has been cancelled... Hendo is indeed injured, tried training through it but it didn't work. For the first time in history, UFC cancels an event.

Chael Sonnen wanted to take his place, Dana was ok with it, Jones wasn't...

Damn...

EDIT: and Jones Vs Machida has been added for UFC 152 in Toronto...

Edited by bolleje

On the world wide web, people are going crazy about Jones his refusal to fight Sonnen on less than 2 weeks notice. At first I was disappointed too and thought Jones should have just accepted the fight. But it's his profession and he's the champ. You don't take risks as 'fighting a guy of Sonnens level in one-week-notice'... I can understand his refusal to fight him... he could only have lost.

Toronto will now have a nice card with Jones-Machida, Benavidez-Johnson and Bisping-Stann...

So Jones is a fucking douchebag. Discuss.

On the world wide web, people are going crazy about Jones his refusal to fight Sonnen on less than 2 weeks notice. At first I was disappointed too and thought Jones should have just accepted the fight. But it's his profession and he's the champ. You don't take risks as 'fighting a guy of Sonnens level in one-week-notice'... I can understand his refusal to fight him... he could only have lost.

Or he could have won, took a big payday for it (plus a bonus for taking the fight on short notice and bailing Zuffa out) and - here's the important bit - not taken money from every single other fighter on the card. The guys on the undercard probably aren't getting their fights rescheduled for some time so, unless Zuffa is willing to pay them all anyway, Jones has just fucked them over.

• Like 1

Guest Owned by Quickquid

I don't think this is a horrible move business-wise. Jones/Machida will do whatever it would have done a few months down the line, and the eventual Hendo fight might even get a bit of a buyrate bump because of the anticipation.

Plus turning down the Sonnen fight was completely the right move if only because of the precedent that fight would set.

I don't think this is a horrible move business-wise. Jones/Machida will do whatever it would have done a few months down the line, and the eventual Hendo fight might even get a bit of a buyrate bump because of the anticipation.

Plus turning down the Sonnen fight was completely the right move if only because of the precedent that fight would set.

And Jones being on the shitlist of the fans who bought tickets (and hotel rooms and plane tickets and so on), the fighters who now aren't getting paid and the bosses of the company seems like an absolutely tip-top move for business, of course. Makes perfect sense now.

Hardly fair to put the entire life of a card on the shoulders of Jones taking a fight at short notice. It wasn't his decision to cancel the event, he shouldn't be made to fight a guy he isn't prepared for for the sake of every other fighter on the card.

If you're going to blame anyone, blame Hendo, if he knew about the injury he should have gave Dana White and the UFC more notice to work on an contingency plan.

• Like 1

I'm sure Zuffa will sort out compensation packages for the fighters who are missing out, if you've heard Dana's press conference, he is beyond pissed about this.

I'm surprised that the UFC didn't offer Jones an alternative opponent when he turned down Chael, like Shogun or Gustaffsson.

Hardly fair to put the entire life of a card on the shoulders of Jones taking a fight at short notice. It wasn't his decision to cancel the event, he shouldn't be made to fight a guy he isn't prepared for for the sake of every other fighter on the card.

If you're going to blame anyone, blame Hendo, if he knew about the injury he should have gave Dana White and the UFC more notice to work on an contingency plan.

Let me check, the guy who got injured is more at fault than the guy who is healthy and just didn't want to fight. That IS what you're going with, yeah?