UFC News and Discussion Thread

Rashad used his wrestling well, and under the current rules, that was a definite win...

That being said, that fight is a perfect example of why I dislike the 10 Point Must System. Rashad controlled, but never once came close to finishing the fight or even attempting something to finish the fight. Silva damn near finished him in the 3rd, and if he hadn't been so tired, would have.

I thought the stoppage for Yvel was a bit early, as he was clearly moving around in an attempt to get up. He was out of it when he got hit, but he was still trying to get up when the fight was stopped. Glad Dos Santos won, as I really like him. He's a class guy and an exciting fighter, and he will be a great ambassador for the sport.

Rashad used his wrestling well, and under the current rules, that was a definite win...

That being said, that fight is a perfect example of why I dislike the 10 Point Must System. Rashad controlled, but never once came close to finishing the fight or even attempting something to finish the fight. Silva damn near finished him in the 3rd, and if he hadn't been so tired, would have.

I thought the stoppage for Yvel was a bit early, as he was clearly moving around in an attempt to get up. He was out of it when he got hit, but he was still trying to get up when the fight was stopped. Glad Dos Santos won, as I really like him. He's a class guy and an exciting fighter, and he will be a great ambassador for the sport.

I'm no MMA expert, I only watch UFC once in a while, but I found the stoppage for my fellow Dutchman Yvel VERY quick, compared to Rashad Evans for example. You could tell he was not knocked out, he was fighting and it looked like he was about to get back into the match. His shocked face told the story, he was not ready to quit, he wanted to continue and who knows what would have happened then.

The problem is not the 10 point must system in my opinion, the problem is the criteria for scoring and how interpretted. If you start to go for the "finishing the fight" idea you will get in to the arbitrary awarding of fights like you use to see at times is Japan. Rashad controlled the fight, yes, but I don't think the problem is that Rashad's "Lay and pray" didn't win him the fight, but Silva's lack of an effective style of countering it, and not doing enough in 70% of the fight to beat Rashad. The only way this fight could have gone other than a Rashad win would have been a draw if round 3 was a 10-8. But it wasn't, Silva had an opportunity to finish the fight, and due to his fatigue because of his failure to be effective in the preceding two rounds, he couldn't take it, and then Rashad controlled him again. Rashad controlled the fight and barring the 2/3 minutes in round 3 was by far the better fighter.

Now if we had judges who could say: a takedown is worth a point, a knockdown is worth this much... and there is a standardisation of it and the fighters knew what the judges were looking for, we would see the fighters being more proactive so that they impress the judges. The problem with villifying Rashad's way of fighting is that it is, as long as he is remaining busy on the ground, an accepted style of fighting and making it such that the way he fights is punished takes away from the ground fighters and moves it towards stand up, making it a disadvantage to be a jiu-jitsu or freestyle wrestling practioner.

I'm no MMA expert, I only watch UFC once in a while, but I found the stoppage for my fellow Dutchman Yvel VERY quick, compared to Rashad Evans for example. You could tell he was not knocked out, he was fighting and it looked like he was about to get back into the match. His shocked face told the story, he was not ready to quit, he wanted to continue and who knows what would have happened then.

I believe Yvel asked the ref straight away how he got knocked down, it sounds very much like he had been out, and the ref's primary job is to protect the fighters. Gilbert Yvel will be back to fight again, and he will no doubt catch someone and they will be subjected to a stoppage deemed poor, but I would rather have a poor stoppage than having someone severly injured due to unneccassary strikes to the head.

On to 108, as a whole it was a really good event, lots of fights, good knockouts, great submissions and despite the lack of "name fighters" was really enjoyable and made a good showcase for some of the lesser known talent.

On a seperate note I have Dynamite! to watch if I get a spare few hours <_<

Ben Henderson! Great to see him beat Jamie Varner. I can't stand Varner. Faber stopping Assuncao was nice to see as well. And Brown looked solid out there. I'd put him in there with Manny Gamburyan next and the winner of that faces Aldo/Faber winner.

I'd like to see Henderson/Cerrone go at it one more time.

Meltzer says April or May will be Henderson/Cerrone II and Aldo/Faber double header title fights which is will be an awesome card.

I like this from JR's Twitter: "Uriah Faber is MMA "relevant" again! But the Kerry von Erich lookalike wants a "belt." Can't say "belt" on TV. :)"

Also I never thought I'd hear an MMA commentator (outside of perhaps Frank Trigg) mention a fighter being a heel like I heard Frank Mir mention twice in regards to Varner embracing the role of being a heel.

• Like 1

This was my first WEC show I ever watched in full and I was a little disappointed to be honest. Finish of the main event was awesome, as was most of that fight really, and Faber's fight because of the crowd reactions...but I don't know, aside from that it was like, I know these are good fights but I just don't care. Like the ROH of MMA.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Mr. Potato Head

Bumping this because we're a little over an hour away from a Strikeforce show, featuring Bobby Lashley, Herschel Walker, a womens' title match, a welterweight title match that should be interesting, and the slugfest to end all slugfests (Robbie Lawler vs. Melvin Manhoef). Anyone else going to be watching?

Anyone getting this EA Sports MMA stream of the Hieron/Riggs fight going? Not working it seems. I have Silverlight installed like it wants...

Looks like they might be running behind schedule as MMAJunkie shows that there is a fight before it that hasn't happened yet.

I am still in disbelief that Herschel Walker is actually fighting for a popular MMA promotion. This fight is really such a joke. BTW, my predictions for tonight:

Main Card

Welterweight Championship bout: Nick Diaz vs. Marius Žaromskis (Diaz is one of my favorite fighters in the division. I don't think Zaromskis is gonna catch a lucky head kick KO this time. Diaz by Sub.)

Women's Lightweight Championship bout: Cristiane Santos vs. Marloes Coenen (Women's MMA bores me, but Cyborg is a beast. Cyborg by KO.)

Middleweight bout: Melvin Manhoef vs. Robbie Lawler (Manhoef by fucking death. This is the fight I'm looking forward to the most, and chances are it won't last past round 1. Manhoef by 1st round KO.)

Heavyweight bout: Herschel Walker vs. Greg Nagy (No one wins in this joke fight. Hopefully Nagy wins though so we don't have to hear about a 47 year old MMA newcomer.)

Heavyweight bout: Bobby Lashley vs. Wes Sims (Should be an impressive showing by Lashley. 1st round TKO by Lashley.)

Undercard

Welterweight bout: Jay Hieron vs. Joe Riggs (The battle of two fighters who have been disrespected by Strikeforce. Both were promised title shots, now they find themselves fighting in a fight that's exclusively on PPV. Hieron by UD.)