Formula One 2018

Lineker

Thought the race was fine, but after the safety car I tuned out - doesn't seem like I missed much though. I mean Australia is always a tough one to judge how close / how difficult it'll be for people for the rest of the year, so I'm not reading too much in to it.

I'm guessing that it'll be the same top two teams with Red Bull just behind, but Haas playing the Force India-spoiler role as usual, and the threat of McLaren and Renault being able to get in the top 5/6 if anyone has issues.

Also LeClerc had a storming race yesterday that went underrated, finishing ahead of Stroll and Hartley in that Sauber is no joke. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I thought Gasly or someone had already incurred a penalty for this weekend?

These constant grid penalties are really stupid anyway, I thought they were taking measures to reduce the amount this has to happen? Yet it's happening on Race 2 already to multiple drivers.

• Admin

Monaco and Russia to defy grid girl ban

Liberty Media has unveiled a five-point plan for the future of Formula 1 after 2020, following a presentation to the teams at the Bahrain Grand Prix.

The five key areas discussed were revenues, governance, sporting and technical regulations, power units and costs.

Liberty intends to make the cars more raceable and improve overtaking, while putting the focus back on the driver.

Aerodynamics, suspension and engines will remain areas of development and differentiation between cars, but there will be a move towards more standard parts.

As revealed last October, F1 wants cheaper and less sophisticated engines for 2021, with an emphasis on improving the sound, increasing power and reducing the necessity of grid penalties.

Liberty has also said the rules must appeal to new entrants, and F1 wants customer teams to have access to the same performance as works teams, but the engines must remain "hybrid, road-relevant and allow manufacturers to build unique and original power units".

Liberty has confirmed plans to introduce a cost cap, with the intention to put a focus on spending money wisely, rather than the overall amount, a philosophy Ross Brawn has been keen to promote.

F1's owners also plan to make revenue distribution among teams "more balanced" and also plans to provide financial support to engine suppliers, though the "historical franchise" value of teams will still be recognised.

On governance, the intention is to have a simplified structure involving F1, the FIA and the teams, Liberty having complained the current system is cumbersome.

"Formula 1 is a sport with a rich history," said F1 CEO Chase Carey in a statement.

"We want to preserve, protect and enhance that history by unleashing F1's potential, by putting our fans at the heart of a more competitive and more exciting sport.

"We are driven by one desire: to create the world's leading sporting brand.

"Fan-centred, commercially successful, profitable for our teams, and with technological innovation at its heart."

The teams met with Carey and Ross Brawn in Bahrain on Friday to see Liberty's blueprint.

"It was a more a meeting to pass the information and to pass the views onto the teams," Brawn told Autosport.

"The teams need to digest it now, and then the discussion proper will start. It was a straightforward meeting with no major controversies."

Ferrari and Mercedes remain the two teams that need the most convincing. Immediately after the meeting, Toto Wolff and Niki Lauda met with Maurizio Arrivabene at the Mercedes hospitality building to discuss what they'd heard.

Vettel on pole, Hamilton 9th after a 5 place penalty, but the big story is Pierre Gasly getting 6th (net 5th) with a Honda engine. Either the Toro Rosso chassis is sensational or Honda have stepped it up big time.

It also turns out I'm automatically inclined to type Gastly instead of Gasly.

Ricciardo and Verstappen out in the first laps due to technical issues, also Verstappen had a puncture after a racing incident with Hamilton. Very gutting stuff.

Raikkonen retired after a horror pitstop after a member of pit crew got caught by the tyre on exit. Very scary stuff, I really hope the guy is alright.

That mechanic has got to have suffered a very bad broken leg, that was fucking horrific.

1 hour ago, Chris2K said:

Great finish, shame Bottas didn't get quite close enough for a proper overtake attempt.

Fantastic race for Gasly as well.

I was willing Vettel to stay clear at the end so we didn't see a race won because the guy behind pressed his automatic takeover button.

That thing with Raikkonen is awful, apparently the guy at the front gave Kimi the clear to set off before that rear wheel had even been taken off!? So he's cost that guy a very bad injury and then Raikkonen his place in the race. Ridiculous.

They couldn't get the wheel off, so the other three were changed, the system checks, sees four wheels are in place and gives the release signal.

With both Haas cars, and multiple other wheelgun issues since Barcelona, and now this horror with Kimi's pitstop, I think this goes beyond human error.

This year they have a new wheel retaining nut that keeps the wheel on even if it's not fastened properly to avoid it from going off and becoming a projectile.

If you look at when these new issues happen, it is during pitstops when cars have been out on track for longer spans of time, which means everything runs a lot hotter than during dry tests in a factory setting. Especially if a car stops in the pits you can visibly see how hot everything is by the smoke billowing from everything.

I got the feeling the heat causes the metal of the nut to expand, or the thread on the axle for that matter. Millimetres that makes it work for most, but sometimes doesn't allow a tyre to be screwed on... Or in Sunday's case, doesn't even allow a wheel to be removed.

This is speculation on my part, but I think there is some possible credence to it.