MLB 2019

The Buscher

LOOGYs have been on the decline as teams realized holding a roster spot for a guy to get 1 out every other game wasn't a good use of a roster spot. In fact over the past 20 years or so batters faced per pitcher has actually been on the rise. The only stark difference is that instead of starters going 7 or 8 they're going 5 or 6 innings.

It's a great thing for them to do, and hopefully other teams will follow suit.

It's insane to think that these guys are expected to stay healthy when they're making at most $2,400 a month. That equates to about what a retail store manager makes where I'm from... if the baseball players were paid year-round, but they don't get paid for spring training or the off-season. These guys are barely scraping by in hopes that they'll make it to the majors and cash in big.

That's probably the largest problem with the current system. I do find it outrageous that guys are getting $30 million a year at the big league level, but when you factor in that they were basically poor until they hit free agency, it makes more sense. The discrepancy is ridiculous though. I feel like, if teams are making as much money as they are, the total payroll should be more, but it shouldn't just be two or three guys making more than half of what your payroll is. It should be spread out more.

Would players be more willing to sign for less money later in their careers if they were able to make better money earlier? Would it also not benefit both sides to do that? The game is clearly at a place where younger players are valued higher than veterans, as evidenced by the off-season and the free agents still available. That said, what incentive is there for a team to pay a guy $5 million to play when they have a younger player who can do just as well, and they only have to pay them a small percentage of that? Allow younger players to make big money earlier, increase the pay of minor leaguers across the board, and things should balance out better.

Really wish the Spring Training locations in Florida weren't so spread out.  The Mets seem to play the same five or six teams over and over again all spring and three of them are division rivals.  They're playing the Nationals and Marlins all week and those are the first two teams they face in a week and a half when the regular season starts...so they've resorted to throwing their starting pitchers into minor league games instead.

1 minute ago, Meacon said:

We should do an EWB Spring Training meet up next year. I was thinking of going next spring anyway, but if we could get a small group together, we could hit up a home game for each represented team.

I would be soooooo down for this. 

Love, love, love that move.

With Severino expected to miss all of April, and who knows how much more, and Sabathia being older and also starting the season on the IL (that's going to take some time to get use to...) I was hoping we'd sign Gio. My dad wanted Keuchel, but the only way Dallas will sign a one year deal is if it's for like $18 million or so, I'd imagine. Giving Gio $3 million is a downright steal. Great deal by the Cash-man. 

34 minutes ago, Eric Buschenhagen said:

I have to think, even this late in the game, he probably could’ve gotten more on a one year deal elsewhere.  But at this point, may as well go to a contender where he could win like 15 games with that offense 

According to Ken Rosenthal, there’s an April 20th opt-out, which is one of the weirder ones I’ve heard of. It makes sense though. If CC and Severino are back and healthy, the Yanks won’t need him, and Gio won’t want to be the #6/long relief guy so he’d be free to go somewhere else.

Just came in to post about Mike Trout. Holy shit, what does someone even do with that much money? This contract is about 30% larger than the Harper deal, and when that happened, it sounded like a huge deal. Wow. Also, this may be the biggest contract in sports history? Correct me if I'm wrong. 

1 minute ago, El TiBrandon Nimmo said:

Just came in to post about Mike Trout. Holy shit, what does someone even do with that much money? 

Well you probably don't win a World Series, that's for sure.

• Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, El TiBrandon Nimmo said:

Just came in to post about Mike Trout. Holy shit, what does someone even do with that much money? This contract is about 30% larger than the Harper deal, and when that happened, it sounded like a huge deal. Wow. Also, this may be the biggest contract in sports history? Correct me if I'm wrong. 

Should have been about 50 to 75% larger than Harper's, considering the difference in talent. But I'm glad it will shut up the Phillies fans. Until they start going after some other superstar, anyway.