MLB 2019

The Buscher

20 minutes ago, Meacon said:

Toronto has traded Kevin Pillar to San Francisco.

I figured this was coming, but it doesn't make it any less sucky to see him go... but with his defense sliding a bit and his offense never really being a big contributor, and the guys we have in the outfield now, he just seemed like the odd-man out if a move was to be made.

Derek Law is a good return for him though. Should help out the bullpen if he can play close to what he's capable of. Alen Hanson is still only 26 and had comparable offensive numbers to Pillar last season. Juan De Paula had a sub 2.00 ERA in 50+ innings of Low-A and Single-A ball last year. He's only 21.

So while it hurts to see Pillar go, this is a pretty good return for a guy who already looked like he was on the decline, and has started his season hitting 1 for 16.

Braves just got a fucking steal.  Signed Acuna to an 8 year extension, $100 million.  Has two options as well, so it could turn out to be a 10 year, $124 million deal.

6 hours ago, Toe said:

Yeah, I thought this would happen later in the season. And seeing him go to San Francisco is a bit strange - do they think they have a shot in their division?

I think it's, as was noted above, mainly that they have nobody in their OF. But the Giants are weird in that they as an organization have thought for the last few years they were 1 or 2 players away. It's kind of one of those times in a franchise where they aren't bottoming out yet but they can't hang with the big boys either. Maybe they still have a special season in them where they win 90 before everything falls apart.

Man, Nats/Phils was interesting mostly to see how the DC crowd reacted to Bryce Harper in pinstripes. Boy it did not disappoint. Between getting soaked in boos in his first at bat, and flipping the shit out of the bat on that Homer, I got all the entertainment I needed. Somebody get me the spinrate on that bat flip.

For the next 13 years, the Nats and Phils are just gonna have this tense ass rivalry where neither of them wins shit but they always fight over Harper. It'll be hilarious from an outside perspective.

Loved watching that Nats Phillies game. As someone who has defaulted to the Phillies when it comes to baseball, I had slowly been gaining more and more interest over the years. This past offseason made me buy in even more. Watching tonight, I knew to expect alot of hate for Harper and got what was expected. Watching him go off Scherzer was amazing and that bat flip...well radio shall be interesting tomorrow for sure.

Phillies contract offer:  13 years, $330 million
Nationals contract offer:  12 years, $250 million with a lot of that money deferred until 2072

Nats fans made themselves look really bad by booing Bryce.  Just like Yankee fans booing Cano, Red Sox fans booing Damon, and countless other examples over the years.  Not one of these people wouldn't have taken the money.

• Like 1