MLB 2019

The Buscher

The Jays have signed Clay Buchholz and Bud Norris to contracts, pending physicals.

Buchholz could be a good rebound guy to have. He had great numbers last year until injuries derailed his campaign... but Ross Atkins already promised 4 of the 5 rotation spots, and Buchholz is apparently getting a major league deal, which locks him in as #5, meaning Ryan Borucki, who pitched to an ERA under 4.00 last season on a shitty team is probably going to start his year in Buffalo.

I'm not a fan of the idea of not playing your 25 best players on opening day. I get that with the CBA and service time, it makes sense to leave prospects down until a couple of months into the season. That makes sense, even if I don't agree with it. But the idea that someone like Borucki will have to absolutely blow away the management team to get on the opening day roster is outrageous. He had a great year last season and it sends a bad message to the prospects in the system if he outperforms one or two of the starters who end up on the opening day roster, yet still winds up in Buffalo to start.

I think Atkins made the moves to ensure that injuries wouldn't cripple the pitching staff, but now is the time to be giving those young guys some reps. I mean, yeah, even if Borucki starts in AAA, it's likely with the five starters we have that one or two of them will wind up injured within the first month, but you shouldn't be banking on injuries to give deserving players time in the bigs.

18 minutes ago, Meacon said:

@Twist @Ace Berimmer @KisenosaTEOL And any other English baseball fans:

any of you planning on going to the Yankees and...ugh, red sawx game in London this summer?

I was until the tickets sold out in minutes. And then ended up on every tout site for silly money. :(

At this point it would be cheaper to fly to NY and watch a game properly.

26 minutes ago, Meacon said:

@Twist @Ace Berimmer @KisenosaTEOL And any other English baseball fans:

any of you planning on going to the Yankees and...ugh, red sawx game in London this summer?

Definitely go see the reining World Champions!  Remember that Meacon?  How they won the World Series again?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Maxx said:

Definitely go see the reining World Champions!  Remember that Meacon?  How they won the World Series again?

6 hours ago, Meacon said:

I must’ve missed that.

jerk

Didn't we call off the World Series because of wildfires? I remember that being a thing. Shame it happened two years in a row, really need to do something about this global warming.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Meacon said:

Severino was scratched minutes before his start today. He had an MRI and it was revealed he has inflammation on his rotator cuff. He's likely not going to be ready for opening day. 

Already. 😑

Dallas Keuchel is still out there...

My friends and I were chatting about it this weekend. If The Boss were still alive he'd have forked over a combined $1 billion for the services of Harper, Machado, Keuchel, and Kimbrel. Time's have changed. Me personally? I'm a fan of Hal and his commitment to being above average.

2 minutes ago, damsher hatfield said:

Dallas Keuchel is still out there...

My friends and I were chatting about it this weekend. If The Boss were still alive he'd have forked over a combined $1 billion for the services of Harper, Machado, Keuchel, and Kimbrel. Time's have changed. Me personally? I'm a fan of Hal and his commitment to being above average.

I actually got an alert earlier today saying that they may be interested in Gio Gonzalez. I'd be ok with him for a year or maaaaaaaaaybe two instead of giving Keuchel the five or six years he wants. 

Just now, Meacon said:

I actually got an alert earlier today saying that they may be interested in Gio Gonzalez. I'd be ok with him for a year or maaaaaaaaaybe two instead of giving Keuchel the five or six years he wants. 

Gio was lights out with the reduced workload in Milwaukee. But before that he was averaging nearly 10 hits per 9 innings which, uh, yikes. So it depends what kind of Gio you get. If I was a team with money to spend (just kidding, they all have money to spend) I'd love taking a shot on him with a 2 year deal.

I've been wanting the Mets to get Gio.  They have no rotation depth and Gio has stellar career numbers in Citi Field.  But doing this would mean Jason Vargas is now being paid $8 million to be a long reliever and they aren't going to do that.

They don't even have Seth Lugo or Robert Gsellman available to bump into the rotation anymore.  Gsellman started no games last year and Lugo started five but most of them were just bullpen games.  They're full-time relievers and the team no longer considers them as starter depth, so if one of the five goes down they're just going to be trotting out a parade of obscure minor leaguers.