MLB 2019

The Buscher

I don't know what Boone was thinking.  You can't let the other team's best player beat you if there are other options.  Pitching to Altuve with two outs and Jake Marisnick on deck was just asinine.

5 minutes ago, Rey Cloudy said:

If the Nats win it's their first WS title, right?

Yeah it's their first appearance as a franchise, including the Expos years.

I have to root against them on principle.  They're a division rival for one, and if they win it'll mean I've seen the entire NL East win a title except for my own team.

That said, Harper watching them win a title without him would be hilarious so at least there's that.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rey Cloudy said:

:lol:

Altuve got in trouble with his wife last time his teammates ripped his jersey. 

That tweet seems like the pretext for political revolution.

https://deadspin.com/astros-drop-failed-smear-campaign-against-sports-illust-1839269728

Less than 24 hours after the Astros issued a statement accusing Sports Illustrated of “fabricating” a story about assistant general manager Brandon Taubman gloating to a group of female reporters about having signed accused domestic abuser Roberto Osuna, the team has changed their tune to something resembling contrition. But while the Astros are now offering a non-apologetic apology, MLB is insisting that the truth of the incident is still up for debate.

Last night, SI published a report by Stephanie Apstein that recounted a clubhouse incident after the Astros clinched the ALCS title on Saturday night. The report said Taubman yelled, “Thank God we got Osuna! I’m so fucking glad we got Osuna!” at three female reporters “half a dozen times.” Osuna was charged in May 2018 with assaulting the mother of his young child. The charges were eventually dropped after Osuna, then with the Toronto Blue Jays, struck a deal with prosecutors, but he still served a 75-game suspension for a violation of MLB’s domestic violence policy.

Almost immediately, the Astros’ weak attempt at a smear campaign began to fall apart. Various outlets, including the Houston Chronicle and the Athletic, corroborated SI’s reporting. The Houston Chronicle added its own reporting, disputing the team’s assertion that there were any interviews going on when Taubman yelled at the female reporters. The Chronicle wrote:

Taubman was holding a cigar and standing with two or three other men when he yelled his comments, two eyewitnesses said.

The three female reporters were approximately eight feet away and one was visibly shaken by the comment, the eyewitnesses said. There were no players in the area and no interviews were being conducted at the time. The Astros statement said “an Astros player was being asked questions about a difficult outing.”

Despite the fact that multiple other journalists corroborated this story, the Astros’ aggressive statement aimed at discrediting SI’s reporting had the desired effect. Several news organizations framed their story on the topic around the Astros’ denial, rather than around what Taubman did. CNN initially went with, “Houston Astros deny exec taunted female reporters following World Series berth.” ESPN’s headline said, “Astros deny intent of assistant GM’s support of Roberto Osuna.” The Washington Post headline read, “Astros rip Sports Illustrated’s story on executive’s alleged “frightening” outburst at female reporters.”

This afternoon, Sports Illustrated released a statement saying it “unequivocally” stands behind Apstein’s reporting.

Anyone watching? Bottom 2nd, 2-1 Houston right now. Double scored two for the Astros then in the top of the 2nd Ryan Zimmerman hit a solo shot to put the Nats on the board. 

26 minutes ago, Rey Cloudy said:

Anyone watching? Bottom 2nd, 2-1 Houston right now. Double scored two for the Astros then in the top of the 2nd Ryan Zimmerman hit a solo shot to put the Nats on the board. 

I am. World Series strategy is fascinating.

We're gonna see the Nats pen early tonight, Scherzer's pitch count is just climbing up.

• Like 1