MLB 2019

The Buscher

26 minutes ago, Meacon said:

Nope. 

I’m actually fascinated on seeing what the NY numbers end up looking like for the World Series.  Any other year I think NY baseball fans would tune in regardless of matchup, but it was just such a bitter end for the Yanks that I won’t be surprised it most of their fan base say also say “fuck it” and don’t bother.

47 minutes ago, damsher hatfield said:

Mets apparently have a "bombshell candidate" for manager and while that probably means it's like Ron Darling I am really hoping it's Keith Hernandez or (even better) national treasure Bobby Valentine.

No way it's Keith Hernandez.  He's helped a few Mets out in Spring Training over the years but he's always said that was the extent of it for him and that he wouldn't have the patience for full-time coaching, let alone managing.  Plus as each year passes it's clear he hates a lot about what baseball has become, and said once he's retired from broadcasting he'll probably never watch a game again.  At 66 years old having been a broadcaster for nearly two decades, I can't see him suddenly having a change of heart in wanting to be in the dugout.

Ron Darling feels more plausible, but even still, I think if he wanted to foray into coaching he'd have done it years ago.

The other name everyone comes up with is David Wright, but he's another guy who has said he has no desire to coach.  He's still a "special advisor" but his baseball career is essentially over and he's content to spend time with his young kids.

Mystery Candidate Power Rankings:

1 - Jessica Mendoza
2 - A-Rod
3 - Robinson Cano player-manager
4 - Brodie names himself manager
5 - Mike Francesa

41 minutes ago, GhostMachine said:

Joe Girardi?

He's not a mystery candidate, the Mets have interviewed him.  He apparently told Francesa today that he expects to make an announcement within 48 hours, aka the day off of the World Series (MLB doesn't like moves being announced on the same day as the World Series, thanks to A-Rod).

This would mean he's likely already made his decision, and since the Mets are scheduled to interview Nats 1B coach Tim Bogar that day, that means it's not them.  They probably interviewed Girardi because they knew the fans would be mad if they didn't.  But the Wilpons want someone who will fall in line and Girardi is not that kind of guy.

He'll go to the Phillies or Cubs.

11 hours ago, DMN said:

The Astros are a trash organization with trash fans, so go Nats. Plus, it'd be four years in a row where we lost to the champions, so we'd have that going for us.

As someone who quite likes baseball, but doesn't follow MLB very closely, which teams are considered to have relatively good fans?

18 minutes ago, Bobfoc said:

As someone who quite likes baseball, but doesn't follow MLB very closely, which teams are considered to have relatively good fans?

My comment is pretty much just based on the Gurriel/Darvish incident during the Houston/LA WS, the standing ovation they gave him for it, and this recent incident with the assistant GM.

Other than that, I can't think of a fanbases that's particularly bad. Talking shit about Boston or St. Louis fans is mostly tongue in cheek. 

I guess my answered would be most teams fans are fine, the Astros, and their fanbase, just have a pretty bad recent track record.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DMN said:

My comment is pretty much just based on the Gurriel/Darvish incident during the Houston/LA WS, the standing ovation they gave him for it, and this recent incident with the assistant GM.

Other than that, I can't think of a fanbases that's particularly bad. Talking shit about Boston or St. Louis fans is mostly tongue in cheek. 

I guess my answered would be most teams fans are fine, the Astros, and their fanbase, just have a pretty bad recent track record.

Philadelphia fans in general have a deserved bad rep. https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/washington-redskins/10-times-philadelphia-fans-were-truly-worst-philadelphia-eagles-philadelphia-phillies-philadelphia-flyers   There are more instances that that article doesn't cover. Like the time Eagles fans beat up an elderly man because he them not to use foul language around his granchild. Or when fans kept cheering when Michael Irvin was badly injured (proved to be the injury that ended his career). The only sport where the fans haven't come off as world class douchebags? Basketball.

I hate the New York Yankees, Alabama Crimson Tide and Ohio State Buckeyes with a passion. But I hate Philadelphia sports fans - the asshole ones, that is - even more. Every time a Philadelphia sports team (other than the 76ers, who I am indifferent about) loses a game, I rejoice. 

*edited to add* When I rag on the Mets, its because their ownership is beyond incompetent. I actually somewhat like the Mets.

Edited by GhostMachine

I will tell you as someone who used to live in Philadelphia and currently lives in Maryland where I have access to two city's fanbases -- they all do that shit. Nobody bothers reporting on it unless it's Philadelphia fans though so everyone just assumes they're the worst.

Also, Nats just feel like a team of destiny.

Yeah, Canadians have this reputation of being super polite and shit, yet just in the last few years we had Raptors fans cheer Durant's injury and a fan throw a beer can and shout a racist slur at a Baltimore Oriole fan. It's not just Philly.