Summer Transfer Window 2019

Lineker

Maguire to United for £80mil (record fee for a defender. Not sure on the breakdown of the fee i.e initial fee and what add-ons there are)

Dunk to Leicester for £45mil

Football is broken

17 minutes ago, TCO said:

This English tax is fucking ridiculous for transfer fees. I 100% believe Shane Duffy is better than both of those players and you'd get him for half of what Dunk is going for.

He was not a superstar when with us. Surprised we got so much for Duffy.

1 hour ago, TCO said:

I 100% believe Shane Duffy is better than both of those players and you'd get him for half of what Dunk is going for.

Let's compare, stats incoming:

Spoiler

image.png

All stats taken from whoscored.com

Duffy is fine if you want a more traditional centre half, but Maguire fits what United are looking for - a more creative option who is also better in the air than anyone else we've got:

Spoiler

image.png

And he also has some major advantages when compared with VvD - though VvD is definitely the better player:

Spoiler

image.png

Maguire represents the kind of signing United need - the money for that is irrelevant, if he can repeat these kinds of stats next season. He'd be United's best defender.

I wouldn't put Maguire in the same stratosphere as VVD, nevermind the same conversation. He's good and confident on the ball but there's nothing I've seen of him that will justify this price. 

I don't buy into those statistics much either, Duffy and Dunk are told to play a very different style than Maguire is for Leicester. I've seen him given complete license to take the ball out that Duffy has never been given. Duffy is very good with his feet from what I've seen and I'd only put VVD ahead of him in the air.

I'll wait and see how Maguire goes in summary!

12 minutes ago, Mad Jack stans Wiccan said:

And he also has some major advantages when compared with VDV - though VDV is definitely the better player:

To be fair, I'd expect Maguire to be a better defender than Rafael van der Vaart :shifty:

• Like 4

• Admin

Celtic have rejected Arsenal's latest bid for left-back Kieran Tierney, Sky Sports News understands. Arsenal's offer was worth in the region of £25m but it is understood Celtic were unhappy with the structure of the bid and want more cash upfront rather than in add-ons.

Liverpool have brought in a goalkeeper (for pre-season!)

Andy Lonergan is joining up with their American tour because Simon Mingolet is currently the only keeper at the club with any senior experience until Alisson gets back after the Copa America.

Joselu's gone, knocking another 2 goals from our "goals scored last season by players still actually in our side". We're down to 12, which will be 11 once Hayden goes. Fuuuuuck.

Apparently we're in with a £36 million bid for Joelinton though, which isn't an instant fix to our squad getting picked apart, but hey that's better than nothing. So it'll be absolutely spectacular in about a week when he decides to sign for Wolves instead or something and our only strikers for next season are Muto and uhhhh... maybe Gayle? I think we technically still have him? Whatever. Doesn't matter. Year of Muto baby.