Summer Transfer Window 2019

Lineker

Feel bad for you Newcastle fans - few months ago it was tycoon takeover and jose in charge and now its stuck with that fat slob and steve bruce in charge, plus lost arguably your best player in Ayoze Perez and didnt stump up the measly 16mil for Rondon, as a guy who admires Newcastle as a club and think they have some of the best fans in the world, i feel bad for their current situation, and just remembered todays result too 😕

I'll be honest that I was less than enamoured about the oil money takeover, and that brief rumour of a second bid was a light at the end of the tunnel, but this is a pretty low point. I've put up with plenty over the last decade or so, and every so often it looks like we might have turned a bit of a corner (in hindsight the Almiron transfer is utterly bizarre), but the last month or so have been ridiculous. I don't think he's doing it on purpose, I just don't think he has a fucking clue how to run a football team but the amount the money has gone up in recent years has meant he's still raking it in.

Put it this way, at the moment I'm planning on missing the Arsenal game despite having renewed my season ticket months ago. It won't achieve a damn thing, but I want to see my seat empty on tv for the emptiest of empty gestures.

I know it's first world problems, and there are plenty of other clubs getting shafted worse (at least we're not Sunderland...) but it's the false dawns and the lies. The "all profit from the club is available for the manager" until it isn't. It's just irritating, and it's a really expensive way to get irritated.

I can understand it from a Cov, Charlton, Blackpool, Notts etc fan because it is the thin end of the wedge, in professional football, but come on. You get relegated and at least you win the Champ and come back up. Its like Arsenal fans moaning about Kroenke and my heart bleeds for them and their third season in European football. I just don't know how they can cope with it. Or Chelsea fans only winning a European cup. It doesn't rain but it pours.

• Like 2

How much is your season ticket and occasional shirt financing helping?

27 minutes ago, Colly said:

Like I said, it's kind of relative, but it's still not fun to know that my money is just getting siphoned into a fat man's pockets.  

Hold up. Don't you work for the government? :shifty:

Maybe this doesn’t belong here, but The Athletic (a US sports news agency) seems to be signing up all the top British journalists, including David Ornstein from BBC as well as Daniel Taylor and Amy Lawrence from the Guardian.

Big shakeup in journo land.

• Sad 1

15 minutes ago, Liam Mk2 said:

Maybe this doesn’t belong here, but The Athletic (a US sports news agency) seems to be signing up all the top British journalists, including David Ornstein from BBC as well as Daniel Taylor and Amy Lawrence from the Guardian.

Big shakeup in journo land.

Not allowed to say who, but they’ve taken a bunch of guys from our regional papers, both Midlands and North West. 

Chatted to one guy at his leaving do, and geez, The Athletic basically drew up a hit list and bought everyone on it. Talking double money plus benefits. 2-3 stories a week is apparently their story count, which when you consider a bunch of them are doing 7-8 a day now, has to be more appealing. Definitely has the potential to shake things up quite significantly. 

I subscribe to it for MMA content anyways, and it is really really good. Nice format, and the writers have the freedom to do some real good stuff.