FIFA Women's World Cup 2019

Lineker

Beauty of a goal! 2-0 USA :D

38 minutes ago, MDK said:

I just cannot imagine how upsetting it would be if the US Mens Team ever won the World Cup.

Well you have to consider our best female athletes play soccer and they dominate. Our best male athletes play basketball, football, baseball, and then maybe soccer. So until that sport moves up the male athlete priority list, it won’t be happening. It’d be fun to imagine how amazing we’d be if we did have our best male athletes playing though.

1 minute ago, MDK said:

Can you throw a ball 90-100mph, 80-100 times a game every 5 days?

10 minutes ago, Meacon said:

Your ignorance is showing if you don’t think MLB players are athletes...

8 minutes ago, Lint said:

Can you throw a ball 90-100mph, 80-100 times a game every 5 days?

If I used steroids :shifty:

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Meacon said:

Our best male athletes play basketball, football, baseball, and then maybe soccer. So until that sport moves up the male athlete priority list, it won’t be happening. It’d be fun to imagine how amazing we’d be if we did have our best male athletes playing though.

If I was to be serious for a minute I thought the problem with soccer in the US is that it is quite a middle class sport and costs a fortune to get training as a kid. Isn't that why you see half the USMNT is college educated/born in Germany?

5 minutes ago, MDK said:

If I was to be serious for a minute I thought the problem with soccer in the US is that it is quite a middle class sport and costs a fortune to get training as a kid. Isn't that why you see half the USMNT is college educated/born in Germany?

Hi Lance!

23 minutes ago, MDK said:

Oh geez, there's probably 110 reasons I can get into. 

I think it mainly comes down to familiarity and lack of a top level domestic league. Most parents want their kids to play basketball and football because that's what they played. None of the schools I went to while growing up had a soccer team. In fact, our local conference didn't even have a soccer league because only two schools in the whole county had teams and they had to travel long distances to find other schools. So while I enjoy the sport, it's odd for me to suggest the sport to my girls because I wouldn't even know how to train or teach them while we're at home.

But I played basketball. I played baseball. I can teach them the fundamentals for those sports and get them on the right path of what teams to play on and what positions and so forth. I think that plays a huge role in how our athletes are developed and the mindsets they have from the beginning.

Also the MLS is a huge problem. If I'm a 12-year old kid and a top tier athlete, do I want to develop as a basketball player, looking up to a LeBron James, who makes $35 million a year, not even counting what he makes from sponsors, or do I want to develop into an MLS player who makes the same as a doctor? I know that they could make big money in England or Spain or wherever, but a lot of people want to stay domestic and play in front of family, and friends, in the cities that they grew up watching compete on TV. 

EDIT: As for the cost of training, it's not much different from other sports. While coaching and umpiring, I saw parents drop thousands and thousands every summer for their sons to play travel baseball for three months. I think it's more the level of training. Up until a few years back hardly any MLS clubs even had academies. I know Philadelphia opened one just a couple years ago and they're hardcore recruiting the area, but prior to that, they'd just draft kids out of college, who were already 22 or 23 and most likely poorly developed. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Meacon said:

I think it mainly comes down to familiarity and lack of a top level domestic league.

Promotion/Relegation, while being completely antithetical to US sports, I reckon would improve the game. And make it more regional. Because hating the team from 10 minutes down the road in a different ZIP code is part of the fun of soccer. And then have your 180 game playoff championship final of the world series title after that.

• Like 2

Gnmk3cB.jpg

I mean...is it possible to take a bad picture of Alex Morgan?  She always seems to know exactly where the camera is

• Like 1