FIFA Women's World Cup 2019

Lineker

Good game, and the more disciplined side won. I thought the pen was really really really really soft - so much so I oddly wasn't that gutted when it was saved. The offside was close but is what it is.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Arjen Robben said:

I was proper choking at Pearce being like “BAHUGNAHJGNWHAT FUCKING FOUL WHAT’S HAPPENED? REF? PEN? CUNT GIVE A PEN”

Then the other, coherent commentator goes "Just misses it doesn't she" and he's just calmly like "Yep."

To be fair she changed her mind two seconds later after seeing the other angle.

17 minutes ago, MDK said:

HE IS A GOD DAMN NATIONAL TREASURE

For which nation?

• Haha 1

• Admin

England’s women’s football World Cup defeat to USA was the most-watched British television broadcast of the year, with the success of Phil Neville’s team opening up the sport to new audiences. A peak audience of 11.7 million tuned in to watch the end of England’s 2-1 defeat on Tuesday evening – more than the peak live audience for the finale of the hit drama Line of Duty. An average of 10.3 million Britons watched the entire match – although the figures do not include the many people who watched it via the BBC’s online streaming services or those who watched in public spaces or pubs.

Think it was pretty clear that a good side was going to punish our defensive frailties, but I thought we were excellent for the most of the second half and were obviously so close to getting a draw. Pen was crazy soft. Ellen White was so unlucky with that second goal. But definitely lost our heads after the sending off, stopped doing all the things that were clearly working. The standard of football we were playing was so much better than four years ago, though. Plenty of positives to take. 

Also, while it is totally what you do to win games and see 'em out, it was a shame to see the Americans throwing themselves to the floor and play-acting in the last fifteen mins, in which was otherwise a really great game. The USA are clearly a better team and obvs far more street-wise. Was quite happy to see Nikita Parris have a go when they were fucking around in the corner, though. 

• Like 1

Was really disappointed not to see more of Leah Williamson. She's the best defender in the champions of the WSL who's game is built around playing out from the back...something Phil Neville claims is the "non-negotiable" England style. 

Anyway, all this means is I can happily support the Netherlands. Miedema and van de Donk are so damn good and I'd love to see them against USA.

• Admin

Karen Carney has announced her retirement from football to bring to an end a distinguished career for club and country.

The Chelsea and England midfielder will sign off after the Lionesses conclude their Women's World Cup campaign against Sweden in Nice on Saturday.
She said: “I am incredibly proud to have achieved so much in the game but now is definitely the right time to retire. To have played for England was my ultimate ambition and to do so at four World Cups and represent Team GB at a home Olympics was beyond the wildest dreams I had when first starting out.

“I would like to thank everyone who has made this all possible from my family and friends, everyone I have played for and worked with and, of course, the England squad and staff. I owe everything I have to all of them.”

• Admin

Gianni Infantino wants to expand the Women’s World Cup finals to 32 teams from 24 in 2023 and double the prize money to $60m (£48m).

Before Sunday’s final between USA and the Netherlands, the Fifa president said he would take his proposals to the Fifa council and member associations for approval.

“I want to expand the tournament to 32 teams,” he said. “We will have to act quickly to decide if we are to increase it for 2023, if we do, we should reopen the bidding process to allow everyone to have a chance or maybe co-host. Nothing is impossible.”

Infantino hailed the tournament in France as “the best women’s World Cup ever” and said it was an opportunity to build on the game worldwide with a number of proposals.

“[I would like to see] a Club World Cup for women starting as soon as possible next year or the year after,” Infantino added. “We need a Club World Cup which can be played every even year to expose clubs from all over the world, to make clubs invest even more in women’s football to really shine in a world stage.”

Infantino also said Fifa would increase its investment in the women’s game to $1bn over the next four-year cycle and spoke of wanting to create an international women’s league, with promotion and relegation, to help the World Cup qualification process.

“Sometimes qualification for the World Cup is just based on one tournament, sometimes not even that … This will ensure we can raise the standard all over the world,” he said.

Yakuza Kick only gets a yellow, but PENALTY

AND RAPINOE FIRES IT IN, 1-0!

It was definitely only a yellow. Correct call, correct use of VAR. Really tough game thusfar.

god, Rose Lavelle is fucking great.

• Like 2