Carabao Cup 2019/20

DavidMarrio

Liverpool v Villa is set for 24 hours before Liverpool will be playing in Qatar at the Club World Cup

Meaning liverpool will have to field 2 different teams on 2 different continents  in 2 different competitions in 24 hrs

7 hours ago, Hobo said:

Liverpool v Villa is set for 24 hours before Liverpool will be playing in Qatar at the Club World Cup

Meaning liverpool will have to field 2 different teams on 2 different continents  in 2 different competitions in 24 hrs

You make it sound like Liverpool Football Club only have only 18 players at any given time. 

12 hours ago, MDK said:

You make it sound like Liverpool Football Club only have only 18 players at any given time. 

you didn't know?

I'd wager that the only teams who can feasibly put two completely separate teams out capable of winning a competitive game are the clubs at the very top, like Liverpool, who have the biggest resources and have lots of young talent they have hoovered up to build their formidable academies. Now I'm not up on all the latest injuries etc., but looking at Liverpool's squad they could feasibly put out these two separate sides for the CWC and Villa games:

Team #1: Alisson, TAA, Matip, VVD, Robertson, Fabinho, Henderson, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Mane, Firmino, Salah

Team #2: Adrian, Williams, Lovren, Gomez, Milner, Keita, Wijnaldum, Lallana, Shaqiri, Brewster, Origi

Obviously you're thin on substitutes but just including players who have gotten squad time this season in competitive games, you then have Lonergan, Kelleher, van den Berg, Hoever, Jones, Kane, Chirivella & Elliott.

So that's 30 players. I only put two kids in the starting XIs. Obviously one side is better than the other but the youthful outfit would obviously play the Villa game.

It's not ideal at all but it is doable, and I'd say I could only reasonably do this for the "big 6" and maybe one or two others in this country.

43 minutes ago, Nerf said:

18 x 2 = 36.

How many teams have 36 players good enough to try and win a competitive match? None, probably.

Small club mentality smh

Since they aren't taking this cup seriously they should run a competition for anybody that fancies a 1 game contract. Pay some cash for a raffle ticket, hold a draw and donate the money to charity. Or get Djimi Traore out of retirement.

• 1 month later...