General Television Thread 2021

GhostMachine

10 hours ago, CLDY said:

I've seen a lot of people saying after LeVar's hosting job it should have gone to him etc. but I watched some of the LeVar episodes and as much as I wanted to really love them they were just "okay", I thought. I kind of liked Aaron Rodgers (surprisingly) and Katie Couric the most out of all the guest hosts.

Friend put it best that they were never going to make the right choice after a legend like Trebek. In fact going with Richards for the syndicated episodes feels very much like a way to have a bridge host if it comes to that (whereas if you go with a big name and they falter it potentially hurts the overall name value of Jeopardy). And then Bialik is the celebrity counterpart to host their bigger specials, which I expect to be happening much more often. She then becomes easily expendable and after a year or two they bring on someone else, LeVar Burton, Katie Couric, another celeb, to host the specials.

Well turns out Mike Richards seems to enjoy making disparaging comments about women.  A plethora of choices and you end up with bland guy with a checkered past?  Great work Sony.

• Like 1

Did you read The Ringer's expose about him? It's worth reading if you haven't. 

https://www.theringer.com/tv/2021/8/18/22631299/mike-richards-jeopardy-host-search-process-past-comments

“It’s unfortunate that guest hosts like Aaron Rodgers and LeVar Burton really put themselves out there in terms of openly wanting the job and for Rodgers in particular, discussing the extraordinary amount of effort to which he went to prepare for his turn, when it’s not clear anyone besides Richards ever had a real chance at the main role,” says Kristin Sausville, who won five games on Jeopardy! in 2015. “Rodgers and Burton were clear about how important Jeopardy! was to them personally. Given that he also was a candidate to host The Price Is Right, it looks like Richards just wanted to host a game show, any game show.”

They pulled down the podcast where he made a bunch of the remarks Maxx is (presumably) talking about, and Sony claims that they had no idea about it. Real good vetting job. 

On Saturday, The New York Times reported that Richards alone selected the episodes that were sent to focus groups for review; the show’s two supervising producers, Lisa Broffman and Rocky Schmidt, who are both in their fourth decade working on the show, were excluded from the process. When The Ringer asked about the Times focus group report, neither Sony nor Richards offered comment.

• Like 2

On 16/08/2021 at 03:39, CLDY said:

I've seen a lot of people saying after LeVar's hosting job it should have gone to him etc. but I watched some of the LeVar episodes and as much as I wanted to really love them they were just "okay", I thought. I kind of liked Aaron Rodgers (surprisingly) and Katie Couric the most out of all the guest hosts.

I didn't like Katie Couric at all. She mispronounced a lot of words while hosting. Sadly I didn't get to see any of the LeVar episodes because its syndicated on the local NBC station here, so it was interrupted by the Olympics. 

But allegations aside, Richards is bland and there's no way he got the job fairly. Hopefully more things come out and he gets canned. If he is the host, I forsee Jeopardy! being cancelled in a year or two after he takes over.

Surprisingly, I liked Aaron Rodgers, too. I also liked Robin Roberts. 

Ken Jennings was apparently Alex's choice to succeed him. And while I thought he did a great job, I would have been surprised if he had been offered the job. At least I can still watch him on The Chase.

Yeah, Jennings has tweeted some cringey stuff but nothing at all on the level of what Mike Richards actively decided to say on mic. I didn't have an opinion before other than seeing that clip of him saying that he had to step up to host during the guest host thing because of COVID and if that half-hearted explanation is indicative of him from here on out then sweet lord, that show just becomes dull as dishwater to me.

It’s so strange that the executive producer couldn’t find out all this terrible stuff about himself during the vetting process.

• Haha 3

The clear, obvious and ultimately inevitable choice for a host is IBM’s Watson.  Give him the job now or watch as he takes it by force later.

• Like 3

They're going to air the 5 episodes that Richards taped, then go back to guest hosts until they find a permanent host.

Which means they either don't want LeVar Burton or think they'll have to pay him too much.

15 hours ago, Maxx said:

It’s so strange that the executive producer couldn’t find out all this terrible stuff about himself during the vetting process.

Even stranger that the EP of the show basically fired himself as the host!

I forgot that there was a new episode of Reservation Dogs out.

"I live off the land, mainly."
"Looks like you go to Sonics a lot."

EDIT: Oh and holy shit songs by both Om and Sleep during this episode. 

EDIT 2: Oh shit! And episode 4 is out!

Been watching Clarkson's Farm on Amazon Prime and I really like it.  The episode when he's helping the sheep give birth, he seems genuinely proud, and he seems really broken up about the few who don't make it.

I know some things are played up for comedy.  One episode ends with Clarkson saying "Now we have nothing to worry about!" and the next one starts with "A worldwide pandemic..." so I'm taking it like The Grand Tour/Top Gear as a mix of scripted and "reality", but its a good show

• Like 1

Well, apparently Mayim Bialik is going to be hosting until they get more guest hosts lined up.

Why they don't just offer it to LeVar Burton and get it over with is beyond me. I did like (most of) the guest hosts, but if you've got someone who clearly wants the job and the majority of fans seem to support him.....

I hate the reason why Mike Richards won't be hosting, but there is NO WAY it wasn't rigged for him to get the job. And of all the guest hosts there were only 3 I liked less. (Dr. Oz, Katie Couric and the guy from 60 Minutes whose name I can't remember at the moment. He was too soft spoken.)