General Television Thread 2021

GhostMachine

32 minutes ago, GhostMachine said:

I hate the reason why Mike Richards won't be hosting

So you hate that he's been accused of firing a woman after she became pregnant?

Do you hate that he's made a series of offensive comments about women, unhoused people, Haitian people, Jewish people, and more?

Do you hate how he also repeatedly used the  "R" word and derogatory phrases for people with dwarfism?

Which reason do you hate that he was fired for?

8 hours ago, Lint said:

So you hate that he's been accused of firing a woman after she became pregnant?

Do you hate that he's made a series of offensive comments about women, unhoused people, Haitian people, Jewish people, and more?

Do you hate how he also repeatedly used the  "R" word and derogatory phrases for people with dwarfism?

Which reason do you hate that he was fired for?

You misunderstand. I hate that he is a piece of garbage who was fired for being a miserable piece of shit who did all those things. Instead of just being fired because he never should have been given the job in the first place and it was blatant bias rather than a deserving candidate. And I can't believe he's apparently going to continue as an executive producer. He should be gone from the show, period.

(The Dwarfism part is new to me, though. I had not heard about that. Damn.)

Edited by GhostMachine
missing letter

Oh my god I'm getting around to episode 4 of Reservation Dogs and if I didn't already love this show, this episode would do it. 

"What do rappers eat?"
"What do rappers eat... well.. my dad likes pizza Lunchables, you know, the kind with string cheese?"

EDIT: Fuck, I wasn't expecting that episode to wind up having the emotional stakes it did. 

so Justified is pretty fucking awesome and I'm only on S2E2.

I like Rayland, but there's something about the Boyd character that I dig a whole lot more. The pilot episode had him as just as your average skinhead hillbilly psycho, but after that... it's different and I'm here for it.

Oh, and fuck Gary.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, tristy said:

I like Rayland, but there's something about the Boyd character that I dig a whole lot more. The pilot episode had him as just as your average skinhead hillbilly psycho, but after that... it's different and I'm here for it.

Oh, and fuck Gary.

Welcome To The Nerd Zone GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

Season 2 is amazing too so you haven't even seen anything yet!

• Like 3

Oh, and fuck Gary.

Oh boy, I wish I could unwatch Justified and go through it all again. ESPECIALLY Season 2.

Boyd is great, Walton Goggins is incredible and I think he and Raylan are my favourite ever TV character double-act.

You are in good company here too. Myself, @livid, @Mx. Canadian Destroyer and a few others are huge fans of the show.

• Like 5

Glad to see my initial gut feeling about Gary was right! Fuck that guy. So many characters I hated, but goddamn Dickie is still around. Hopefully that's fixed soon. Is this the last of Loretta in the show? I liked her character. The finale of the, uh, finale, had me thinking it was about to go one way when it went another (Mags and Raylan at the table). S2 of Justified might have been one of the best seasons of a television show I've ever watched.

Started the third season, and oh great, here's Neal McDonough. He's not bad so far, but hopefully he doesn't ham it up like he did as Damien Dahrk. For my tastes, he tends to over-act quite a bit, too animated for my liking.

I can't help it, but every time Arlo is on screen I think about the Dewey Cox movie.

• Like 3

Glad to see my initial gut feeling about Gary was right! Fuck that guy. So many characters I hated, but goddamn Dickie is still around. Hopefully that's fixed soon. Is this the last of Loretta in the show? I liked her character. The finale of the, uh, finale, had me thinking it was about to go one way when it went another (Mags and Raylan at the table). S2 of Justified might have been one of the best seasons of a television show I've ever watched.

Started the third season, and oh great, here's Neal McDonough. He's not bad so far, but hopefully he doesn't ham it up like he did as Damien Dahrk. For my tastes, he tends to over-act quite a bit, too animated for my liking.

I can't help it, but every time Arlo is on screen I think about the Dewey Cox movie.

Loretta pops up from time to time.

And yeah season 2 is one for the ages. It's nice that Margo got recognized but the fact that nobody else on the show did is criminal.

I love McDonough and his hamminess, tbh. But I think he isn't doing it all the time like he has in other things, iirc. 

Punk on his Heels character:

“Ricky Rabies is Tracy Smothers,” Punk said. “We lost Tracy a couple of years ago and he was a guy, he was the first name I ever wrestled. I wrestled Tracy Smothers in a barn in Southern Indiana in 1999 or 2000, something like that. And he just walked up to me and said ‘hey man. I’ve seen you work, you’re good. Listen, I can’t remember s**t so is okay if we just go out there and do it? I can’t memorize this and that. We can talk about it but I’ll just forget it. So can we go out there?’ And I was terrified because at that stage of my career I would have to sit down and be like ‘you want to do this and then I’ll do this and then we’ll go do this?’

Me and the hubby finished Succession (so great) and we moved onto a show he would pick. He picked Westworld and we watched the first episode and I vetoed it because it was too gratutious for me. Also, I have zero idea how this should got any critical acclaim because the acting, dialogue and story was very bad. I mean, I know I only watched one episode, but I feel like I watched enough. 

Now we are on the Boys, which was his next pick. I am luke warm on it. Hubby is really into it. I like the vibe of the show - the idea of critically analyzing the idea of the problems of the notion of a hero. However, I find the show at times... gratutious. Maybe having children has softened me. 

Spoiler

I am on the last episode of the first season, but I still have a gripe. The scene with Maeve and Homelander letting the plane crash feels like... wasted on the show? It feels like that moment in particular could have so much more of an impact on the entire season but... it does not really. It felt as though they came up with a really heavy concept and did not really know how to fit it into the grander picture. 

I am getting the sense that this is the type of television show where things will occur, not really fully be explored and we move on... 

• Like 1

Judging by your husband's taste so far I think you'll find a lot of HBO and streaming service shows kind of gratuitous with the violence. 

1 hour ago, CLDY said:

Judging by your husband's taste so far I think you'll find a lot of HBO and streaming service shows kind of gratuitous with the violence. 

Yeah. Violence does not bother me per se. The same goes for sexual assault, torture, etc. I just hate violence for the sake of violence or the violent nature of a character somehow telling you something about that character.

To give you an example, the first season of American Horror Story I turned the episode midway through the school shooting scene and have never watched an episode since. To my mind, writers and show creators can use violence in an interesting way, but when it becomes a crutch to shock and astound the audience, I am just not interested in it. 

Spoilers for the Boys. 

Spoiler

The scene in the Boys with the plane was just... unnecessary? It was a plane full of people we had no emotional connection too. They are introduced for a brief moment to be killed in a pretty horrific way. They very clearly put a child on the plane to make the emotional impact greater. But there were other ways to show how ruthless/cold Homelander is and how Maeve is caught between her ideal view of heroes and what Vaught actually does. It is just lazy writing in my opinion. If we knew the characters on the plane or had more context for it, it would have worked. It could have been a really killer finale to the first season. Instead, it is just sort of a "twist" in the middle of an episode that appears to have no long lasting significance. 

5 minutes ago, Gabriel said:

That scene from The Boys does in fact get touched on later. It plays out, and hopefully will make you feel less like it was for shock value.

Season 1 or Season 2? 

Damn, I think that just leaves Betty White as the last one remaining of the main cast of the Mary Tyler Moore Show. (Don't you dare take her!). 

Enjoyed him in a lot of things, most recently Cobra Kai (even though his character was an asshole). RIP, 91 is a hell of a good age to make it to, but still. :crying:

5 hours ago, CobraKaiEnTai said:

Damn, I think that just leaves Betty White as the last one remaining of the main cast of the Mary Tyler Moore Show. (Don't you dare take her!). 

Enjoyed him in a lot of things, most recently Cobra Kai (even though his character was an asshole). RIP, 91 is a hell of a good age to make it to, but still. :crying:

Checked IMDB, and he has 8 projects (some completed, some in post-production) yet to be released.

• Thanks 1