General Television Thread 2021

GhostMachine

19 hours ago, GoGo Yubari said:

Two episodes in on Only Murders in the Building, it's good stuff. Feels like a really strong year for half-hour comedies on cable/streaming services, my top 15 is probably gonna be dominated by stuff like that. And I just remembered that The Great is back in a month or so so the hits are gonna keep on coming.

I was just saying that. Even just of the stuff that is airing right now, I'm watching The Other Two, Ted Lasso, What We Do In The Shadows and Brooklyn 99.

• Like 1

On 30/08/2021 at 11:01, RPS said:

Now we are on the Boys, which was his next pick. I am luke warm on it. Hubby is really into it. I like the vibe of the show - the idea of critically analyzing the idea of the problems of the notion of a hero. However, I find the show at times... gratutious. Maybe having children has softened me. 

Reveal hidden contents

I don't really like the Boys. The first season was interesting. I have found that the second season has done a very job of giving anyone any satisfactory resolution of any issue they have faced in the first season and instead is just building upon each character. 

Spoilers for season 1 and 2 of The Boys. 

Spoiler

Take Butcher for example. He never really resolves this anger with the death of his wife. At the end of the first season he goes to kill Madelyn, but whoops. Homelander kills her. And, oh... his wife is still alive. And before he can even come to terms with the fact that his wife is alive... she has a baby with Homelander. And oh, he will never see her again. Oh right, but he ditches the Boys to go find his wife. And he does. But now he is conflicted because he finds his wife, they have sex and he wants to free her, but he does not want to bring along the supe kid. 

The same is true of every single character. Nothing ever gets resolved. Even Hughie. One episode Starlight and him are in bad terms, the next episode she is almost killing him, the next episode they are on a road trip. Everything just keeps building and building with no pay off. 

Greg Davies new sitcom came out on iPlayer the other day. The Cleaner. Six episodes, half hour each. Really enjoyed it. Very different from Man Down and Cuckoo. They're character pieces really, each episode is just Greg Davies playing a crime scene cleaner, and talking to one person about what has happened. It's getting mixed reviews, but I liked it.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Jimmy said:

The finale ofThe Leftovers Season 1 is wild. Getting a lot out of this show. 

You have no idea how happy it makes me to see new people enjoying Leftovers. By far the most under appreciated show of the golden age of TV with the possible exception of The Americans.

14 hours ago, Subject Delta said:

You have no idea how happy it makes me to see new people enjoying Leftovers. By far the most under appreciated show of the golden age of TV with the possible exception of The Americans.

Does it end well? I watched the first series, then lost the channel it was on but recently recorded it on Syfy or similar so I've got the last two to watch when I get round to it. Would be good to know if it's worth it.

21 minutes ago, Cymbols said:

New Ted Lasso episode didn’t work for me. Don’t know if it was bad, simply just didn’t like it.

I'm not as high on Ted Lasso as others around here - I enjoy it, but it's not GREAT or anything. But I saw this new episode was about Coach Beard and I just nope'd right out. No interest in an episode that's specific to his character. Big ol' meh on that.

I'm watching the S2 premiere of The Morning Show. I'm almost done with it and it's not as good as anything in the first season, but I also had to tough it out through the first episode or two of the first season. It's definitely one of those slow burner shows. I didn't know Hasan Minhaj was in this season, either!

Oh, yeah - I started Deadwood last week. So that's my new bingewatch after I finished Justified.

11 hours ago, Colly said:

Does it end well? I watched the first series, then lost the channel it was on but recently recorded it on Syfy or similar so I've got the last two to watch when I get round to it. Would be good to know if it's worth it.

I don't want to go into too much detail, because I think it's important to be as blind as possible going in. So I'll simply say yes.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, tristy said:

I'm not as high on Ted Lasso as others around here - I enjoy it, but it's not GREAT or anything. But I saw this new episode was about Coach Beard and I just nope'd right out. No interest in an episode that's specific to his character. Big ol' meh on that.

I'm watching the S2 premiere of The Morning Show. I'm almost done with it and it's not as good as anything in the first season, but I also had to tough it out through the first episode or two of the first season. It's definitely one of those slow burner shows. I didn't know Hasan Minhaj was in this season, either!

Oh, yeah - I started Deadwood last week. So that's my new bingewatch after I finished Justified.

I did the exact same thing once id finished Justified. Ended up binging Deadwood at the start of the original lockdown, it is an incredible series with elite acting.

Watched Help staring Jodie Comer and Stephen Graham about a care home worker starting her job and then the pandemic hits and the impact covid-19 had on care homes. 

Would highly recommend it, brilliant performances and really hard hitting whilst also having heart felt and humourous moments.