General Television Thread 2021

GhostMachine

22 hours ago, RPS said:

I don't like Squid Game.

Hide contents

I enjoy the game itself but the stuff involving the workers and the organ harvesting not interesting. I read the spoilers and I think it's going to be too much for my suspension of disbelief.

Have you seen the movie Circle?

15 minutes ago, C-MIL said:

Have you seen the movie Circle?

No but it sounds like it could be up my alley. Or maybe not. I had a very visceral reaction to Squid Game and the violent imagery. Maybe I'm getting soft. 

4 minutes ago, C-MIL said:

I think you might like it. It is just the game in real-time and, for a movie that's about killing everyone in it anyway, is very gore-free.

That seems more up my alley. A lot of the violence really bothered me in Squid Game, especially with the overtones of coercion and power disparity. 

Catching up on some TV.

I thought Nine Perfect Strangers wasn't great, seems to really come undone in the last few episodes. It's a shame because I really like the cast, but it never came together for me. 

Finally did Squid Game. I thought it was enjoyable, very binge-able and peaked at episode 6. I think it becomes a bit trapped by its own format, but I had a good time watching it and I really hope it opens up a market for non English language TV. I watch a lot of world cinema, but barely any TV, so am as guilty as anyone. I've got my eye on Hellbound when it comes out on Netflix in November, which is created by the director of Train to Busan. 

And now still cracking on with Season 2 of The Leftovers, which is just so good. 

Ooh actually, I also just stated Paranoia Agent, Satoshi Kon's anime show. I think he's an absolutely genius, the first ep is really decent, so looking forward to the rest. 

High likelihood (but not set in stone) that HBO Max picks up Y: The Last Man. From what I've read, it has a hefty price tag per episode and that's why FX execs cut it. 

1 hour ago, Jimmy said:

And now still cracking on with Season 2 of The Leftovers, which is just so good.  

Season 2 is my favorite season, by far, but S3 has my favorite scene of the entire series - the suffocating one. You'll know the scene I'm talking about when you get to it.

• Like 1

I just finished Squid Game. I hated the show and retroactively felt like I wasted 9 hours of my life. 

Spoiler

I thought it was absolutely terrible and I felt as though I wasted my time having watched it. I thought all of the twists involving the creation of the game were poorly explained, unsatisfactory, and bad writing. I thought bringing back the old man after he died was incredibly stupid and I felt as though the show did not push back against the narrative he was telling - the super rich and the poor are similar, he felt vilified because he felt "true friendship" by playing in the game. I thought Gi-hun taking Sae's brother and allowing him to live Sang's mother was preposterous, unexplained and lacking any connection to the narrative. I thought the Ha-joon's storyline end was terrible, unsatisfactory and lacked the sufficient emotional weight. I thought the only inclusion of express inclusion of queer people as a predator was offensive and ridiclous. 

I would recommend this show to nobody. 

I haven't seen Squid Game and I imagine it's going to wind up being one of those cultural zeitgeist things that passes me by because I can't be bothered to care, but @RPS I did find that last point interesting.

Spoiler

Namely because most of my friends that are super in to Squid Game right now have lauded the show for having a trans character, and their assertion that the character is a positive representation of trans folk. Is that not the case?

Spoiler

Someone can correct me if I am wrong, but I do not recall a trans character on the show. Maybe something was lost in translation and maybe there was a character who was coded trans... 

21 minutes ago, RPS said:
  Hide contents

Someone can correct me if I am wrong, but I do not recall a trans character on the show. Maybe something was lost in translation and maybe there was a character who was coded trans... 

Either it's coded or I'm getting it mixed up with another series that they were talking about. I'm not really sure. 

EDIT: Hmmm, PinkNews says there's only one LGBTQIA+ character. I guess I am getting it confused with something else. 

EDIT 2: I'm thinking of Alice In Borderland, the other K-Drama they were watching at the same time as Squid Game. My bad.

10 minutes ago, The Redeemer CLDY said:

Either it's coded or I'm getting it mixed up with another series that they were talking about. I'm not really sure. 

EDIT: Hmmm, PinkNews says there's only one LGBTQIA+ character. I guess I am getting it confused with something else. 

EDIT 2: I'm thinking of Alice In Borderland, the other K-Drama they were watching at the same time as Squid Game. My bad.

Spoiler

The queer character on Squid Game is a rich man who's entire purpose is to sexually assault one of the main male characters. 

Currently watching  Dopesick on Hulu. and having dated a pillhead in the past, geez, I get a lot of it...

At one point, a doctor tells someone "We'll tapper you down from 80 milligrams Oxycontin to 40 milligrams, and to deal with any withdraw symptoms, we'll give you some Xanax."

I was like "Geez fuck no, Xanax on top of that will be worse!"

2 hours ago, RazorsEdge said:
  Hide contents

Right? I can't wait for more. Who do you think killed Bunny?

That's the great thing, it could be anyone.

Spoiler

Bunny was, after all, hated by so many of the tenants. Howard? Ndidi? There's a bunch of people who could want her dead!

• Like 1

Absolutely loved Squid Game.  It's not often I ever find a show that I want to binge like that but I just got hooked and couldn't wait to see where it went next.  Major spoilers ahoy:

Spoiler

Episode 6, as everyone said, was absolutely devastating.  I genuinely gasped at the announcement that you'd be playing your partner with the loser being eliminated.  It's something I should've expected but for whatever reason I didn't.  And I then spent the entire episode cringing watching each individual game unfold.  Ali's ending just about brought me to tears, he was much too trusting for that game.

The contrast of Gi-hun and Sang-woo's cheating.  Gi-hun feeling riddled with guilt the entire time and Sang-woo being relatively stone faced knowing he did what he had to do.  But it also makes you face some cold introspection because no matter how much you don't want to admit it, you'd have probably done the same thing in their shoes.  I mean it's that or take a bullet to the brain.

I knew very early on that the cop's brother was involved in the games in some capacity, I just didn't know if he was a random soldier or whatever.  Once the files showed he won I thought he could be the Front Man.

But 001...fuck.  In the first few episodes I did have a passing thought that he could be involved.  There were little things, he gleefully played the first game and seemed unphased by everyone dying.  The voting system ensured he'd vote last. Him managing to be the only one to get to a safe place during the night battle and the carnage only stopping when he called for it.  But I thought I was overthinking it.  By the time episode 6 came around the thought never crossed my mind.  Even his death not being shown didn't raise a red flag to me because Ali got popped off-camera too.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, The Redeemer CLDY said:

That's the great thing, it could be anyone.

Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

While it feels too obvious to be true, my immediate thought was the podcast fans who hang out by the building, especially given the evictions.