General Television Thread 2021

GhostMachine

What We Do in the Shadows season finale

Spoiler

Since nothing was official I had doubts Colin Robinson was returning. But him coming back as creepy baby Colin Robinson is funny as hell.

Donal Logue absolutely stole this episode, I'm praying he can come back for an episode or two every season.

The thing What We Do in the Shadows does best is feature the vampires out of their element. Jackie Daytona last season, Atlantic City this season. So I'm glad they're plunging into at least opening next season with multiple storylines where the vampires are in unfamiliar environments.

• Like 1

IndieWire reviewed the first 4 episodes of Dexter: New Blood ahead of its premiere. They gave it a C+ and essentially said it's more of the same - both the good and bad. Namely, it seems that it falls into a lot of the same tropes as the original series did, but Michael C. Hall still does a good job with Dexter. 

Does anyone still watch Squidbillies? Did anyone ever (of course, why did it get 20 million seasons, but also, legitimate question, why did it)? 

Anyway, since Unknown Hinson's kinda an unrepentant shithead racist, for this upcoming final season they've recast Early. He'll now be voiced by Tracy Morgan.

• Haha 1

I love the Venture Bros, but c'mon, "only" 7. I think most of the run of Venture Bros is good, but it didn't need 7 seasons. Not many shows do.

William Lucking passed away, age 80. Probably most recently known as Piney Winston on Sons of Anarchy, he was also Col. Lynch in the A-Team and had been active since the 60s. Appearances on just about every TV show you could think of, from MASH to Star Trek: Enterprise. 

Think I'm at the last episode of Squid Game and definitely settling on thinking that the whole of the show is less than the sum of its parts. Extremely good cast, strong concept and ideas, but it hits a lot of the same beats eight thousand times and it's resolving itself in a way I'm not particularly interested in. "Gganbu" is really where the show peaks and it's sort of a downhill spiral from there barring something excellent at the end here.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, GoGo Yubari said:

Think I'm at the last episode of Squid Game and definitely settling on thinking that the whole of the show is less than the sum of its parts. Extremely good cast, strong concept and ideas, but it hits a lot of the same beats eight thousand times and it's resolving itself in a way I'm not particularly interested in. "Gganbu" is really where the show peaks and it's sort of a downhill spiral from there barring something excellent at the end here.

I thought the reveal at the end was pretty unexpected (and leaves a pretty big question just hanging in the air), but I'm mostly in agreement with this. It was good, but I don't see why people were talking about it constantly and singing its praises.

Team Sae-byeok, tho. Forever.

I feel like every ten years someone comes up with a well-executed Game of Death premise that captures people's imaginations, with Squid Game, The Hunger Games, and Battle Royale all falling pretty neatly into that role for the past three decades to varying degrees (if BR had come out in an era where there was easy access to it via something like Netflix I could see it having been much bigger than the cult success it was in the States). The critiques of capitalism mean that it's also reflecting its times in a way that captures critical attention and catches the wave Parasite was on too.

So add that to the obvious strengths and the cool things it does differently than its predecessors (that second episode is such a wild divergence from anything you'd expect from a Game of Death series or movie and I think it adds a ton of heft to the games itself) and I think it makes sense that it was a big phenomenon. I just wish it could stick the landing better. Will still probably make my top 15 in Favorite Show, though.

EDIT: Also, Han Min-nyeo is my favorite. What a hilarious, wonderfully performed character.

• Like 1

Squid Game was something I quite enjoyed, but it never reached the lofty heights for me that it seemed to for a lot of other people. I correctly guessed all the big reveals, which I wouldn't necessarily consider to be a bad thing, but there also wasn't anything that really blew me away.

I don't really see a great amount of appeal in a second series. With all the success it's had, I can see Netflix stretching the show out more than would be creatively beneficial.

8 hours ago, Bobfoc said:

Squid Game was something I quite enjoyed, but it never reached the lofty heights for me that it seemed to for a lot of other people. I correctly guessed all the big reveals, which I wouldn't necessarily consider to be a bad thing, but there also wasn't anything that really blew me away.

I don't really see a great amount of appeal in a second series. With all the success it's had, I can see Netflix stretching the show out more than would be creatively beneficial.

I'm have two minds with a second season.

Spoiler

First, the concept really needed the side characters to work. And as they died off it lost a lot of its energy. It did hinder some of the writing at the end, and realistically may have ended a bit better with one less episode. 

Second, getting revenge against the Game of Death is usually highly entertaining. It struggles to keep the intensity of "who will die next?" since we now have the main character fully established. But it has new dynamics that could be worth checking out. Not to mention further exploration of the themes of the first season.

Overall I think the writing will suffer just because we probably won't attach ourselves to the new group of contestants as we did the first. But it still may be entertaining.

8 hours ago, C-MIL said:
  Hide contents

I am 100% convinced that she survived. No proof says she didn't.

Spoiler

I don't think it was intended for her to survive but 1) they managed to never show her actual, final death, and 2) she wound up being so popular her being a surprise survivor is possible.

There's a way (albeit very uncomfortable to write) they can loop in the VIPs being present that day to explaining why she managed to survive.

9 hours ago, Ruki Returns said:

That whole family is a head-scratcher. There’s this, Charlie being….well, Charlie, and Martin sometimes being great but also being a 9/11 truther. Joe manages to look good - in spite of a Z-list career - just by virtue of few people knowing anything about him besides doing weird movies.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, C-MIL said:
  Hide contents

I am 100% convinced that she survived. No proof says she didn't.

Are you serious?

Spoiler

She fell to her death, with Jang Deok-su on top of her. If ANYONE survived that, it's him.

Watched the first episode of Arcane (League of Legends show)... I really enjoyed it! The animation was great, characters were fun, and it's great to see the visualization of Piltover and Zaun. Can't wait to watch the rest.

• Like 1