General Television Thread 2021

GhostMachine

9 hours ago, CM Busch said:

Absolutely loved Squid Game.  It's not often I ever find a show that I want to binge like that but I just got hooked and couldn't wait to see where it went next.  Major spoilers ahoy:

Hide contents

Episode 6, as everyone said, was absolutely devastating.  I genuinely gasped at the announcement that you'd be playing your partner with the loser being eliminated.  It's something I should've expected but for whatever reason I didn't.  And I then spent the entire episode cringing watching each individual game unfold.  Ali's ending just about brought me to tears, he was much too trusting for that game.

The contrast of Gi-hun and Sang-woo's cheating.  Gi-hun feeling riddled with guilt the entire time and Sang-woo being relatively stone faced knowing he did what he had to do.  But it also makes you face some cold introspection because no matter how much you don't want to admit it, you'd have probably done the same thing in their shoes.  I mean it's that or take a bullet to the brain.

I knew very early on that the cop's brother was involved in the games in some capacity, I just didn't know if he was a random soldier or whatever.  Once the files showed he won I thought he could be the Front Man.

But 001...fuck.  In the first few episodes I did have a passing thought that he could be involved.  There were little things, he gleefully played the first game and seemed unphased by everyone dying.  The voting system ensured he'd vote last. Him managing to be the only one to get to a safe place during the night battle and the carnage only stopping when he called for it.  But I thought I was overthinking it.  By the time episode 6 came around the thought never crossed my mind.  Even his death not being shown didn't raise a red flag to me because Ali got popped off-camera too.

There was something else too about 001!

Spoiler

Apparently, during tug-of-war, HIS wrist wasn't locked in like everyone else's! I saw a screenshot of it. 

• Thanks 1

Only two episodes into the first season of Succession and this show is fantastic. 

Greg is undoubtedly the highlight so far - especially with his comedic line “Oh, I’m sorry if my bell ringing summonsed you”. I don’t know a lot of the actors, but so far it seems like great casting. Kieran Culkin is another early star for me.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Ruki Returns said:

There was something else too about 001!

Hide contents

Apparently, during tug-of-war, HIS wrist wasn't locked in like everyone else's! I saw a screenshot of it. 

Spoiler

That's interesting. So the only game his life presumably was in danger was if he made it to the bridge? The first game is easy to just ignore if he moves slightly after the fact, second game he could've run out of time and then been "shot", tug of war he could've feigned surprise when everyone else fell off but he didn't because his wrist was secured...

It makes a lot more sense when you go back and watch again I'm sure, that he was playing the game for pleasure but never truly had to fear death. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Josh said:

Absolutely. One of this year’s best shows. Skoden.

Cosign. I think my 2 favorite shows of this year have been Only Murders In The Building and Reservation Dogs. 

Big is a riot.

12 hours ago, FLiam said:

Only two episodes into the first season of Succession and this show is fantastic. 

Greg is undoubtedly the highlight so far - especially with his comedic line “Oh, I’m sorry if my bell ringing summonsed you”. I don’t know a lot of the actors, but so far it seems like great casting. Kieran Culkin is another early star for me.

If that's your take through two episodes then just wait, it gets even better. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, FLiam said:

I'll do what someone else did for me.

Boar on the floor. Come back when you get there...

• Like 3

Only Murders in the Building was very good

Spoiler

Had a weird guess about Jan when she wrote the letter to Charles asking him out, but then felt it was just something they put in to make us have reason to suspect here.

Went through a half dozen people I felt it could be. So overall a really good mystery.

One of the last people I was suspecting wound up being the person murdered in the cliffhanger at the very end of the season too! Poor Bunny. Her killer could truly be anyone.

On 22/10/2021 at 01:57, FLiam said:

giphy.gif

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ruki Returns said:

What We Do In The Shadows S3E9

Hide contents

Did they just kill Colin Robinson?!

They did!  But...

Spoiler

There a a theory going around that he might "regenerate" or something like that.  Because Laszlo never read beyond the first line of the page, obviously missing some stuff

1 hour ago, Lint said:

They did!  But...

Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

Yeah it's very uncertain. They have the out of Laszlo not reading past the first line. If he regenerates every 100 years I suppose he'll have no memories of his last life, so that's a decent comedic setup.

A lot of the fuel for the rumors of Proksch leaving the show for good is coming from him not being part of their New York Comic Con panel. But that could as easily be explained by him being double booked. Or, you know, not wanting to go to a convention during a pandemic.

They've also introduced Guide as a serious regular and could easily bump her up to main cast if they need a replacement.

6 hours ago, damshow said:
  Hide contents

Yeah it's very uncertain. They have the out of Laszlo not reading past the first line. If he regenerates every 100 years I suppose he'll have no memories of his last life, so that's a decent comedic setup.

A lot of the fuel for the rumors of Proksch leaving the show for good is coming from him not being part of their New York Comic Con panel. But that could as easily be explained by him being double booked. Or, you know, not wanting to go to a convention during a pandemic.

They've also introduced Guide as a serious regular and could easily bump her up to main cast if they need a replacement.

Guide has been great. 

What We Do in the Shadows E10:

Spoiler

Creepy baby Colin Robinson? I’m game. 

I presume at least the early stages of next season will be set across multiple locations. 

On 22/10/2021 at 10:59, RPS said:

I'll do what someone else did for me.

Boar on the floor. Come back when you get there...

Absolutely wild. Logan Roy is well and truly off his rocker. 

A few episodes in now and season two is already hit the heights of season one. Kendall is just an absolute shell on a man right now.

Also, the wife’s cousin made a cameo as one of the folk getting fired in the background, had about two whole seconds in the main camera shot. Was pretty cool. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, FLiam said:

What We Do in the Shadows E10:

Reveal hidden contents

Absolutely wild. Logan Roy is well and truly off his rocker. 

A few episodes in now and season two is already hit the heights of season one. Kendall is just an absolute shell on a man right now.

I enjoyed the show a lot but once that episode I was like... This is next level. 

I got my parents hooked on Succession after they binged the entirety of Billions (yuck).

Recently did a rewatch of Veep, and I still think it's one of the best half hour comedies ever made. It just needed a little bit of extra time in the final season to really get into GOAT territory, though. The series finale was so abrupt, I wouldn't have minded being put in the future reality they showed us for an episode or two.