General Television Thread 2021

GhostMachine

Was everyone else unaware that the dude who plays Stanley on The Office shills for some cryptocurrency scam shit on Twitter now?

Or just me?

I also just learned he started a Kickstarter last year to create a spinoff The Office called "Uncle Stan", and it sounds... kinda sketchy as well. 

I knew about the Kickstarter, it came up just around the time Office Ladies started, Brian Baumgartner began bringing in a small fortune on Cameo, and Peacock launched.

The crypto stuff doesn't surprise me. It's in the same camp as weird dietary supplements and sketchy beauty products. Celebs just take the money for the 2 minutes of work they have to do a day so often.

I finally watched Fleabag over the past week or so, and finished it tonight.

What an incredible piece of television it is. Writing, acting, all of it is just tremendous. Phoebe Waller-Bridge is possibly a genius. I loved it, and feel so, so many ways about it.

• Like 5

House really aged pretty poorly, huh? I was watching an episode this morning with my mom, who's started rewatching it because it's on Prime. And there was a whole subplot about racism and it was... really, really bad.

I was watching it a year or so ago and it didn't seem that bad but it definitely has a few bumps. I have a pretty low bar for network TV though (even the great ones which House was once considered). 

Of course it separately didn't age well because of Bryan Singer's involvement anyways. But I believe he wasn't super involved beyond the pilot. 

The episode I watched pretty heavily implied that it was absurd to think there's racial bias or racism in medicine, which was WOOF enough as it is, but then House tricks this older Black guy into taking "the Black drug" by lying to him and telling him he's giving him "what the Republicans get". The old man was making salient, true points about the experimentation that happens on Black people - Black men, namely - and they just dismissed it as him being some conspiracy nut who wants to "stick it to Whitey". 

The whole subplot was one long, big, WOOOOOOOOOF. Then the A-plot was all about Hispanic stereotypes as well. 😕 

On 03/08/2021 at 21:31, damshow said:

Oh just wait until you meet Jackie Daytona.

Regular Human bartender!

• Like 1

The new Fantasy Island has potential. I'm worried, though, because Roselyn Sanchez, who plays the lead has not had much luck with shows lately. It is a contiuation of the original series, not the reboot with Malcolm McDowell that's best forgotten or the recent horror movie. (Roselyn Sanchez's character Elena is Mr. Roarke's great-niece.)

One thing the first episode does have in common with the horror film:

Spoiler

Sets up each's particular Roarke getting their `Tattoo'.

I watched the first episode of Reservation Dogs today on Hulu. Probably get around to the next episode later today sometime, but I really really liked what I saw from that first episode. I think this is gonna be a pretty good show.

I've seen a lot of people saying after LeVar's hosting job it should have gone to him etc. but I watched some of the LeVar episodes and as much as I wanted to really love them they were just "okay", I thought. I kind of liked Aaron Rodgers (surprisingly) and Katie Couric the most out of all the guest hosts.