General Television Thread 2021

GhostMachine

I cannot overstate how much I enjoyed Inside by Bo Burnham on Netflix, extremely cathartic and hilarious all at once, we watched it a couple of months ago and my wife and I literally laughed and cried. I've been listening to the songs a lot since then as part of my current music rotation. Just an incredible piece of work in general and specifically for the times we are living in.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Krabby said:

I cannot overstate how much I enjoyed Inside by Bo Burnham on Netflix, extremely cathartic and hilarious all at once, we watched it a couple of months ago and my wife and I literally laughed and cried. I've been listening to the songs a lot since then as part of my current music rotation. Just an incredible piece of work in general and specifically for the times we are living in.

Seconded! The songs from it have been in our Spotify rotation since watching the special. White Woman's Instagram, Facetiming with My Mom and the Jeff Bezos songs are the most played. Oh and All Eyes On Me, which is legitimately a fantastic song.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Krabby said:

It took me two watches of it to 'get it'. I was expecting old Bo when I started it... but on the second watch it clicked for me. 

20 hours ago, CLDY said:

New Reservation Dogs: seems like it's becoming clearer what happened to Daniel. Heartbreaking episode. Surprised there's only 2 more episodes left, but I think they'll both be incredible.

What do you think happened? I watched the new episode last night, and while it's clear 'something' probably happened that night? no idea what actually happened. 

• Like 1

Spoiler

With Leon talking about how he couldn't be there for Daniel, and for the talk of Daniel being a somewhat "different" kid -- and that scene where Daniel is walking around the neighborhood and Leon gives him a jacket -- I'm thinking that Daniel took his own life. Willie Jack (IIRC, maybe Elora?) has also said in previous episodes that they blame "this place" for Daniel's death. 

https://www.nicoa.org/national-american-indian-and-alaska-native-hope-for-life-day/

Reservation Dogs spoilers ^

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Adam said:

Seconded! The songs from it have been in our Spotify rotation since watching the special. White Woman's Instagram, Facetiming with My Mom and the Jeff Bezos songs are the most played. Oh and All Eyes On Me, which is legitimately a fantastic song.

Absolutely it is an amazing banger of a song. And White Woman's Instagram is great - just this mocking tune about these "basic white girls" on social media and then 2/3 of the way through just hits you right smack dab in the feels and you remember they are all human and going through life too. 

14 hours ago, Ruki Returns said:

It took me two watches of it to 'get it'. I was expecting old Bo when I started it... but on the second watch it clicked for me. 

Yeah when it click, it clicks - it just felt very, very vulnerable while at the same time being hilarious and quality music. 

• Like 1

New trailer.

Spoiler

Deb looks to have replaced Harry as Dexter's conscience, and I'm going to guess that Harrison finding Dexter means that we're potentially going to get Dexter teaching Harrison the "code of Harry". 

2 hours ago, CLDY said:

New trailer.

Hide contents

Deb looks to have replaced Harry as Dexter's conscience, and I'm going to guess that Harrison finding Dexter means that we're potentially going to get Dexter teaching Harrison the "code of Harry". 

Good God I hope not.

• Like 1

Somehow missed that season two of The Other Two has dropped on HBO Max, or much of it has since they tend to do two-episodes-a-week for their shows (which I love! It's a nice compromise between a full weekly model and dropping the whole thing at once). That show remains great, first episode of season 2 is hilarious, I think a lot of folks on this board would probably dig it.

I finished Justified this morning. I don't see a need for a movie, if it's focusing on Raylan anyway. And if it isn't, and it's about any of the side characters, it should be a new series (I know what the rumored movie is supposed to be adapting, FYI). Anyway, my thoughts:

Spoiler

I think the only thing that I'm upset with is Raylan moves to Florida finally, and... yeah, he's closer to his daughter now, which I guess is the most important thing, but him and Winona are such a good fit and now she's with some shady looking dude. I guess not every faucet of this show's storyline threads can have a happy ending. Sam Elliott was a fucking revelation in this season, holy shit. What a fantastic villain. But yeah, anyway, that's some really good shit right there. Every season was better than the last, or at least matched up in quality to the previous. I want to return to this world sometime in the future, but I think Raylan and Boyd's story is done, in my opinion. Give me more of Loretta, with her probably controlling the drug trade in Harlan now. Or the adventures of Wynn Duffy (did they confirm it was him who helped her get out of the state? Strange bedfellows, if so.)

I think I might dive into The Americans, maybe? I just wanna watch some good ol' fashioned 2010s prestige TV. Suggestions? Preferably shows that are already finished.

15 hours ago, tristy said:

I finished Justified this morning. I don't see a need for a movie, if it's focusing on Raylan anyway. And if it isn't, and it's about any of the side characters, it should be a new series (I know what the rumored movie is supposed to be adapting, FYI). Anyway, my thoughts:

Reveal hidden contents

I think I might dive into The Americans, maybe? I just wanna watch some good ol' fashioned 2010s prestige TV. Suggestions? Preferably shows that are already finished.

If you're referring to the news earlier this year about him reprising Raylan that is for a TV series set in Detroit based on one of Elmore Leonard's other books. I speculated then that it would be more of a cameo than anything to tie into the same world, as Leonard's books often do. 

10 hours ago, livid said:

If you're referring to the news earlier this year about him reprising Raylan that is for a TV series set in Detroit based on one of Elmore Leonard's other books. I speculated then that it would be more of a cameo than anything to tie into the same world, as Leonard's books often do. 

Last I read, Variety was reporting that Olyphant could either star in, or do a cameo, as Raylan in the new series but "nothing was set in stone". And besides that - Raylan doesn't even show up in the City Primeval book, but I guess they could take artistic liberties with it. If this is the route they're going - I rather them just move the timeline forward, and have Raylan living in Detroit now or something. The whole Florida thing really soured me, I wanted him and Winona to be together.

But regardless, the more I think about it - ending the series on "we dug coal together" is damn near fucking perfect. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, tristy said:

Last I read, Variety was reporting that Olyphant could either star in, or do a cameo, as Raylan in the new series but "nothing was set in stone". And besides that - Raylan doesn't even show up in the City Primeval book, but I guess they could take artistic liberties with it. If this is the route they're going - I rather them just move the timeline forward, and have Raylan living in Detroit now or something. The whole Florida thing really soured me, I wanted him and Winona to be together.

But regardless, the more I think about it - ending the series on "we dug coal together" is damn near fucking perfect. 

Yeah "we dug coal together" is perfect and now if you'll excuse me, I will need to rewatch it now!

I know he's not in City Primeval but they also built an entire show spanning 6 seasons on a short story featuring Raylan so I'm fine with it. Especially since most of the key players are involved. And I'm always on board for an Elmore Leonard adaptation.

But back to your suggestion request...I would recommend Sneaky Pete. It's not prestige but after the initial pilot, Graham Yost takes over and runs the show for its three seasons and is definitely a lot of fun. It doesn't quite reach the heights of Justified but it's certainly not bad, either. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

CBS & Usher are making a game show out of activism.

Seriously. AVClub:

Here’s the premise: Six activists will be set to compete in a series of awareness-raising challenges (including “missions, media stunts, digital campaigns and community events”), where they’ll be judged on such factors as “online engagement, social metrics,” and input from the show’s hosts, Usher, Priyanka Chopra Jonas, and Julianne Hough. The winner will then be allowed to attend the G20 Summit and advocate for their cause in front of literal world leaders, leading to a surreal situation in which Usher’s opinion of your Twitter poll might determine whether Angela Merkel gets to hear your pitch on climate change.

6 hours ago, Monkey D. Lars said:

Tristy! Your Justified posts wants me to rewatch it for the third time! And I have so much backlog of what to watch lol.

Tell me about it. Especially after watching "we dug coal together", the desire is strong!

• Like 1

Two episodes in on Only Murders in the Building, it's good stuff. Feels like a really strong year for half-hour comedies on cable/streaming services, my top 15 is probably gonna be dominated by stuff like that. And I just remembered that The Great is back in a month or so so the hits are gonna keep on coming.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, GoGo Yubari said:

Two episodes in on Only Murders in the Building, it's good stuff. Feels like a really strong year for half-hour comedies on cable/streaming services, my top 15 is probably gonna be dominated by stuff like that. And I just remembered that The Great is back in a month or so so the hits are gonna keep on coming.

The way the cast in that show plays off each other so well is just A+. I'm on episode 4 (came out last week, I think?) and it's hilarious.