Pokémon: (Mew)Two Strikes Back

Bobfoc

I'm playing Pokemon Shining Pearl and I'm super pumped for another mainline Pokemon game. I'm find with Shining Pearl but it definitely feels like a game released decades ago. 

2 hours ago, RPS said:

I'm playing Pokemon Shining Pearl and I'm super pumped for another mainline Pokemon game. I'm find with Shining Pearl but it definitely feels like a game released decades ago. 

Highly recommend Arceus Legends. Gave me something that felt genuinely fresh while being a constant nostalgia Sinnoh nostalgia-trap. It's the only game where you feel like you could actually be in real peril if you take a wrong turn, hope there's some of that atmosphere in S/V despite being set in a different timeframe.

It feels like a mainline game, just a prequel.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Kraig said:

Highly recommend Arceus Legends. Gave me something that felt genuinely fresh while being a constant nostalgia Sinnoh nostalgia-trap. It's the only game where you feel like you could actually be in real peril if you take a wrong turn, hope there's some of that atmosphere in S/V despite being set in a different timeframe.

It feels like a mainline game, just a prequel.

I played and beat Arceus! I actually stopped Pearl 5 hours into it because I saw Arceus and wanted to play it right away. 

I do feel like Pokemon games live and die by how interesting the Pokemon you can catch, interact and fight against and Pearl only had 150. With Arceus, I juggled 12 or so Pokemon that I swapped in and out depending where I was. Lots of fun. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Which game is the best starting point for a new player? Played Red/Blue Silver/Gold back in the very old days. But trying to figure out from the list over the last 20 years which is the best to pick up. Any advice is appreciated. Is it worth forgetting about the others and starting from the DS/3DS to Switch, or just starting the Switch collection. 

1 minute ago, TheGrandAvatar said:

Which game is the best starting point for a new player? Played Red/Blue Silver/Gold back in the very old days. But trying to figure out from the list over the last 20 years which is the best to pick up. Any advice is appreciated. Is it worth forgetting about the others and starting from the DS/3DS to Switch, or just starting the Switch collection. 

I would argue that the beauty of Pokemon games is that, at their heart, they are made to be accessible to children and are therefore made so that any title can be picked up and played without much/any prior knowledge. So, in saying that, I guess it depends on how much money you want to spend as to how far back you go.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The secondary market still has them super expensive but the best ones were the DS series from Platinum through to Black and White 2. Gen 4 and 5 were brilliant.

Gen 6 and 7 were a bit too handholdy for me, but that arguably makes them better for new players. Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire and Ultra Sun and Moon were both very good games.

I played Sword but haven't bothered with anything on the Switch since, but Legends Arceus has had a lot of praise for its fresh take on things.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, TheGrandAvatar said:

I think I'd recommend Omega Ruby or Alpha Sapphire to anyone coming back. It's basically Sapphire/Ruby with updated graphics and some more story. Plenty of familiar beasties as well as a bunch of new ones since it's the sequel to Gold/Silver/Crystal. I think Sapphire/Ruby/Emerald are my favourite set of Pokémon games even now.

If you want to be online with others and be able to trade and battle and such I'd recommend Sword/Shield if you have a Switch. Still fairly active and has DLC if you really enjoy it. You'll probably get a kick out of the new forms of old pokémon, but no spoilers here.

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, TheGrandAvatar said:

Decided that Black/White on the DS is good enough  for a restart point. It is really appreciated you lot taking the time out to give me advice. Thank you. 😊

Interesting! A lot of people loved that gen, especially since it has a fresh roster of pokémon. Let us know which country/countries you think it's based on. :) 

• Like 1

I know @TheGrandAvatar made his choice but if anyone asked me where to start, I would tell them to pick up Pokemon X. I played it when it came out, got back into Pokemon and went back and replayed everything and played everything I had not played. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, RPS said:

I know @TheGrandAvatar made his choice but if anyone asked me where to start, I would tell them to pick up Pokemon X. I played it when it came out, got back into Pokemon and went back and replayed everything and played everything I had not played. 

I maintain that in terms of pure gameplay, XY/ORAS is the peak of the series. Haven't enjoyed a generation of Pokémon to that level since Gen 2.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, RPS said:

Plan on picking it up at some point to have a go on it. 

Really appreciate all who have tried to help me with ideas of where to start again. The reason I wanted to play it again was to appreciate it more than I did at the young age I played Red and Silver. It was interesting to see the fan base on the board and realise it's okay for me to enjoy Pokemon again and go back to it. Something cute about the games and figured they would be good to relax with while either stuck in bed with a flare up or travelling. 

Also Mr@Krabby😅  who often deals with memes from me for a giggle and our chats made me think of trying the games it again. 

Just wanted to say I appreciate the help and kindness from you all. 

eb24048d134cbcaf8aca3741469a0476807a9e5br1-480-725v2_uhq.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Benji said:

I maintain that in terms of pure gameplay, XY/ORAS is the peak of the series. Haven't enjoyed a generation of Pokémon to that level since Gen 2.

6 definitely had the boost from being the first 3D generation, and they hadn't started messing up the formula with Z-moves and Dynamaxing and whatnot.

I'm replaying Ultra Sun at the moment and it's better than I remember. Nostalgia factor might be helping.

Gen 5 will forever be the peak for me, between sequels being a genuinely interesting fresh take rather than the 3rd version they'd done the whole way through, they'd introduced Megas, had a really good plot to the game, introduced some of my favourite Mons, SEASONS, just so so good.

• Like 1