Pokémon: (Mew)Two Strikes Back

Bobfoc

34 minutes ago, Brandon Cutler Fan Account said:

These are the correct default options but I'm waiting until a list of exclusives leaks. Plus someone is gonna have to pick Violet and be Mr Popular.

I'm on the Violet side of life.

Also...the anime having Ash win after all the OGs stopped watching is peak anime.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chris2K said:

Butterfree :crying:

Bonus points for having multiple Tauros in the background. I can't wait to see that with the English voice dub, hearing all the voices I'm familiar with may be too much.

What was the deal with him having like 50 Tauros?

It was a banned episode (I believe the one where the Safari Zone warden points a handgun directly in Ash's face, and at one point it's a POV shot looking down the barrel), Ash had to rescue the Tauros from Team Rocket, and the plan to do so was to catch them all.

EDIT: My mistake, it was a running gag where whenever Ash tried to catch anything in the Safari Zone a herd of Tauros would run past, and the Safari Ball hit a Tauros instead. He ended up with 30 of them.

• Haha 2

31 minutes ago, Chris2K said:

It was a banned episode (I believe the one where the Safari Zone warden points a handgun directly in Ash's face, and at one point it's a POV shot looking down the barrel), Ash had to rescue the Tauros from Team Rocket, and the plan to do so was to catch them all.

EDIT: My mistake, it was a running gag where whenever Ash tried to catch anything in the Safari Zone a herd of Tauros would run past, and the Safari Ball hit a Tauros instead. He ended up with 30 of them.

That's amazing.

I felt like going down the banned episode rabbit hole. The following are or were banned in North America/Europe:

Electric Solider Porygon - The big one. Strobe lighting causing seizures in a reporte 685 viewers. Also, Porygon and all its evolutions have never appeared in an episode since (other than things like the PokéRap) even though Porygon wasn't involved in the strobe lighting scene (it was Pikachu using a Thunderbolt on a missile).

The Legend of Dratini - As mentioned, guns in faces, also probably not helped by the Safari Zone Warden being called Kaiser. 

The Ice Cave! - Banned because Jynx's original form looked suspiciously like racial stereotyping of Africans. This episode remains banned, but Jynx is allowed in the anime now due to her new purple skin.

Previously banned

Beauty and the Beach - Banned because James wears a bikini with inflatable breasts, and mocks Misty's lack of chest size in comparison. Now airing but with all James's inflatable boob scenes removed.

Tentacool and Tentacruel - Banned after 9/11 due to Tentacruel demolishing tower blocks, despite the same scene being featured in every opening credits of the original series. Now airing without issue.

The Tower of Terror - Banned after 9/11 due to its title, now airing without issue.

There have been other episodes either unaired or postponed as they were scheduled to air shortly after natural disasters in Japan and featured moves like Earthquake and Fissure. Since 2004 Earthquake, Magnitude and Fissure are no longer allowed to be used in the anime.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Ruki said:

In regards to trading... I don't have Nintendo online, but my wife does. Is there any way for me to access her online from my profile?

Yeah it is locked to her account. She could always change her account to a family account (I think it costs more) and add you to that plan but it isn't much cheaper than just getting another solo account.

I am getting Scarlet and will be starting with the fire type starter, as is my tradition. Let's go little fire croc Pokemon!

On 06/10/2022 at 12:44, RPS said:

Onto route 7. We tragically lost Darby (Farfetch'd) because I wasn't paying attention in a double battle.But Plop (Pidgeotto) is doing fine in the slot. 

It's interesting to see how you have to really make key choices about your team on a Nuzlocke. This is hard. I have grinded a bit but I'm avoiding guides to know what Pokemon I should be on the lookout for. I'm rolling with Frogadier, Pidgeotto, Pansage, Pancham, Espurr, Charmeleon. I have Bidoof, Combee, Flabebe, Whismur and Snorlax in boxes. Without spoilers, any thoughts on who I might shuffle in? 

I beat the game. I lost Lucario in addition to the Farfetch'd. I was rotating between 10 or so pokemon but near the end I just rolled with Greninja, Charizard, Klefki, Pangoro, Meowstic and Krookodile. 

Onto Heart Gold now. There is no exp share for a bit. Let's get ready to grind. 

• Like 1

As with the previews, almost all the reviews for Scarlet and Violet mention that the game's technical performance is poor. The frame rate chugs a lot, apparently.

However, it seems that there are plenty of good ideas in the game itself. Stuttering issues will matter less in a turn-based game like Pokemon than in games that use real-time battles.

The whole opening is brutal. Forcing you to spend time with three adorable Pokémon, then making you choose only one of them, watching as another gets taken away only for you to curb stomp it in a battle, and the other is left alone without its friends.

Bring back the days of them hidden away in Poké Balls so I don't have to feel so damn guilty.

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

21 hours ago, Bobfoc said:

As with the previews, almost all the reviews for Scarlet and Violet mention that the game's technical performance is poor. The frame rate chugs a lot, apparently.

However, it seems that there are plenty of good ideas in the game itself. Stuttering issues will matter less in a turn-based game like Pokemon than in games that use real-time battles.

This is definitely true. I've only had time to play for maybe an hour so far and am already noticing a fair bit of stuttering.

I always find the discussion about Pokemon around release really interesting. It is fascinating looking into realistic expectations.

I feel like people want so much out of Pokemon these days, when it's easier to view Pokemon as a license first and a video game second. Pokemon exists to primarily sell plushies, toys, cards, TV shows and movies. I get why people want Pokemon to be a polished, triple A game franchise, but it never will be. The games have quick turn around times to introduce new Pokemon/variants to sell more cars packs and plushies and to launch a new anime series.

I know people would love a Pokemon game that has higher production values, a bigger team, more time to develop. But I personally wouldn't because it would very likely mean less Pokemon games. I love just catching new Pokemon, seeing new variants, seeing what new bizarre systems they come up with every year or so. I don't want to wait 3-4 years for a new Pokemon game.