England - The Southgate Years

Lineker

For all the criticism of Southgate, he's clearly given newcomers a chance to impress for the Euros.

Branthwaite, Gordon, Palmer, Gallagher, Konsa, Bowen, Toney are all in the "will their good form get them into the squad" conversations at the moment.

I thought he dealt with the Mainoo questions well too. "He's played about 4 games".

Glad that we've got to the point though that Phillips actually playing and showing he's not good enough has meant he's finally lost that Tom Cleverly thing of his supposed ability mysteriously increasing every time he was injured.

• Like 1

How many more goals does Dominic Solanke have to score to get a call up? (he has more than double Rashford's total). 

• Like 1

Rashford is a wide forward though and Solanke isn't. So Solanke needs to score more than Kane, Watkins and Toney.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Gazz said:

Rashford is a wide forward though and Solanke isn't. So Solanke needs to score more than Kane, Watkins and Toney.

He's averaging 0.53 goals per game vs Toney's 0.44. 

• Like 1

Sure, but it's not the only factor. There is only so much room in any squad, I feel like every time there's a squad announcement so many players get mentioned as being unfairly left out - but Southgate and his team assess all the options, weigh them up for multiple reasons.

If I'm being honest, were we to suddenly need an injection of attacking threat behind Kane from the bench, I'd be more enthused by seeing Toney or Watkins come on than Solanke. But it's a toss-up really and ultimately whoever he takes will likely, hopefully, be sitting on the bench watching Kane score the goals because he's the best centre forward on the planet.

• Like 3

Football Manager tells me that that's a pretty decent squad... haha

I know he's had a history in the various age groups with England but I'm curious if Scotland have ever tried to cap tie Archie Gray.

Not that I'll be watching or really care, just curious as to why given the consideration for other players of a similar age that Harvey Elliott never seems to get a mention as someone who should/could be called up. 

I like him, but his competition for that right wing spot is Saka, potentially Foden, plus Bowen in that squad, I don't think you could put him ahead of any of those.

But competing with them whilst barely playing that position? Whenever I've seen him play he's on the wing, and a quick whoscored has him in centre mid for about 3 games earlier this season. I'm bored of him now...