England - The Southgate Years

Lineker

• 3 weeks later...
  • Admin

England will be forced to play behind closed doors at Wembley after the Football Association was punished for a “lack of order and discipline” in and around the national stadium during the Euro 2020 final.

Alongside a two-match crowd ban, with the second suspended for a probationary period of two years, Uefa ordered the Football Association to pay a fine of €100,000 (£84,500). The ban will come into effect on England’s next competitive Uefa fixture, which is set to be the opening home game of their 2022-23 Nations League campaign.

The punishment was widely expected after scenes of chaos and violence soured England’s encounter with Italy and a first major final in 50 years. Hundreds, possibly thousands, stormed the ground without a ticket. There were then scenes of disarray inside the ground while, outside, further crowds caused trouble along Wembley Way before the match and into the night with reports of assault, abuse and drug use widespread.

In explaining the reasons for its decisions, Uefa said the ban had been for a broad lack of order but drew attention to further specific offences in handing down the fine. The money should be paid, it said, for “invasion of the field of play, for throwing of objects and for the disturbances during the national anthems”.

The FA came under intense scrutiny following the events of 11 July for an apparent lack of effective security inside the ground. An inquiry was launched, with results hoped for before Christmas.

“Although we are disappointed with the verdict, we acknowledge the outcome of this Uefa decision” the FA said in a statement, with the disappointment understood to refer to supporters being absent. “We condemn the terrible behaviour of the individuals who caused the disgraceful scenes in and around Wembley Stadium at the Euro 2020 final, and we deeply regret that some of them were able to enter the stadium.

“We are determined that this can never be repeated, so we have commissioned an independent review, led by Baroness Casey, to report on the circumstances involved. We continue to work with the relevant authorities in support of their efforts to take action against those responsible and hold them to account.”

Uefa’s decision echoes a similar punishment given to Hungary following the racist and homophobic behaviour of their fans during the Euros. For that Hungary received a three-match ban, with one match suspended, and a €100,000 fine. Last week Hungary came to Wembley in a World Cup qualifying match, with scenes of violence breaking out as police attempted to arrest a visiting fan.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Admin

The chaos and crowd trouble at July’s Euro 2020 final have harmed but “not put the kibosh” on the combined British and Irish bid for the 2030 World Cup, the sports minister, Nigel Huddleston, has insisted.

However Huddleston’s claims were rejected by Julian Knight MP, chair of the digital, culture, media and sport select committee, who said that the government’s plans to spend £11m on a feasibility study before bidding for the 2030 tournament was “utter nonsense”.

“Give me the money if you want, I can just tell you that we’re never going to win it,” Knight told Huddleston, pointing to the disastrous 2018 World Cup bid and the disturbances at the European Championship final between England and Italy as huge barriers to a successful attempt.

Huddleston said he did not share Knight’s pessimism because he believed Fifa’s bidding process had fundamentally changed. He also said that while the fighting and disturbances that ensued when ticketless fans gained entry to Wembley had “harmed” the bid, it was not reflective of a wider problem.

“As you know last time we were made promises behind closed doors and those World Cup votes did not transpire,” he said. “The process has changed. If it hadn’t, I would share your scepticism.”

Last month, Uefa’s disciplinary panel gave England a two-match stadium ban, with one of those suspended for two years, and a €100,000 (£84,500) fine. Huddleston admitted the disturbances had “harmed” the bid.

“Everybody saw that on TV screens around the world. It was not great,” he said. “I blame those who participated in this unruly and despicable behaviour for undermining our national game, and actually potentially undermining our ability to put a credible pitch forward to Uefa and Fifa for the World Cup.

“That said, in the conversations we’ve had so far it’s recognised that it was exceptional and we actually can hold events very well. And I don’t believe that the events at Wembley, in and of themselves, are going to put the kibosh on our bid. In fact, not at all.”

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Realistically its the UK and Dublin really isnt it?

The Aviva Stadium is the only viable option for such a tournament in the Republic  of Ireland.

I'd preferably not see it happen. Dublin is already an overly expensive city filled with nothing but hotels. And of course, they'd use this as an excuse to build even more most likely.

52 minutes ago, Bobfoc said:

If they're all going to be given automatic qualification, five host nations for the Euros or World Cup doesn't seem reasonable. After Euro 2020, I wouldn't want another tournament in England until the fan culture changes significantly.

Under the old system(s) maybe, but seeing as though the numbers that qualify for these tournaments is almost unreasonably high going forward, I don't think it makes much difference. 

3 hours ago, DFF said:

Under the old system(s) maybe, but seeing as though the numbers that qualify for these tournaments is almost unreasonably high going forward, I don't think it makes much difference. 

I'd say 5 teams out of 24 is still a high percentage of automatic qualifiers. For the World Cup, it would be 5 out of 16 European qualifiers, which is worse.

I don't see the harm in making them all go through the qualifiers. All of them have qualified for a major tournament in the last 6 years, so it isn't unfeasible for them to all earn a spot. And, if they don't qualify, then they don't deserve to be there in the first place **cough, cough, sorry I have some Qatar in my throat...**

• Like 1

When you consider the fact that the UK, and England specifically, is the birthplace of football and by far the major contributor to what we understand as "football culture".

That there are some very high quality stadiums.

That France, Italy, Germany, Brazil, Mexico and (soon) the United States (who have made no meaningful contribution to football) have hosted two world cups.

That they've given it to daft places like Qatar and Canada.

It is actually quite weird that England/UK hasn't been awarded a WC by now.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1